• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Atom Amp+ Review (Headphone Amplifier)

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi guys,

I'm gonna purchase the Atom later today. Could you tell me which cable I need (with a link from Thomann ideally) to buy to connect it to my Motu M4, is it from the line out?

Thank you.
Yeah, any RCA cable would do. Have you considered a balanced amp, since the Motu comes with balanced outputs? Also, World's Best Cables on Amazon has solidly made cables of all types at decent prices

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, any RCA cable would do. Have you considered a balanced amp, since the Motu comes with balanced outputs? Also, World's Best Cables on Amazon has solidly made cables of all types at decent prices
I thought the Motu requires 1/4" terminations.(?)
m4_rear.png__1200x1200_q85_subsampling-2.png

spnc

Thanks yeah understood and thanks for the cable brand recommendation. As to balanced amp yeah I've been looking into but since the 1990 Pro are not balanced and since anyway I wanna keep it simple and cheap for now I'm gonna go with the Atom and then later I'll break the bank for more premium stuff (ADI-2 DAC FS, Audeze headphones, RME or UAD interface...).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks yeah understood and thanks for the cable brand recommendation. As to balanced amp yeah I've been looking into but since the 1990 Pro are not balanced and since anyway I wanna keep it simple and cheap for now I'm gonna go with the Atom and then later I'll break the bank for more premium stuff (ADI-2 DAC FS, Audeze headphones, RME or UAD interface...).
The atom and atom+ gear is great value.

spnc

The atom and atom+ gear is great value.
Incidentally, and since you mentioned the balanced suggestions, is there a risk that when using a balanced setup and two different cables, to cause a left/right unbalance at any/low levels? I'm really sensitive to left/right unbalance when monitoring on headphones, hence my focus on keeping it as straightforward as possible :) thx in advance.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Incidentally, and since you mentioned the balanced suggestions, is there a risk that when using a balanced setup and two different cables, to cause a left/right unbalance at any/low levels? I'm really sensitive to left/right unbalance when monitoring on headphones, hence my focus on keeping it as straightforward as possible :) thx in advance.
I reccommend you get advice on the balanced configuration from peeps expert on balanced. I worked domestic/consumer electronics and I am far from a expert on balanced terminations and differential configurations.

spnc

I reccommend you get advice on the balanced configuration from peeps expert on balanced. I worked domestic/consumer electronics and I am far from a expert on balanced terminations and differential configurations.
Ok good to know for the future thanks. For now will start learning all about it with this simple setup that should work all good. Cheers!

Itamarz

So this or Topping L50/A30 Pro? Will be using it for pro use (mixing, mastering)

usern

There is some confusion about "balanced" terms. I think it comes from that people use this word for differential inputs (used with XLR and TRS connection), internal amplifier architecture and headphone connector (3 conductor vs 4 conductor).

In this case we are only talking about input signalling. You can connect Motu with TRS to TRS cable to Topping L50 or TRS to XLR cable to A30pro for example. This is "balanced" input signal to the amp. It does not matter that 1990 Pro are not "balanced", you can connect them to L50 or A30pro and get full power out of them in this situation.

spnc

There is some confusion about "balanced" terms. I think it comes from that people use this word for differential inputs (used with XLR and TRS connection), internal amplifier architecture and headphone connector (3 conductor vs 4 conductor).

In this case we are only talking about input signalling. You can connect Motu with TRS to TRS cable to Topping L50 or TRS to XLR cable to A30pro for example. This is "balanced" input signal to the amp. It does not matter that 1990 Pro are not "balanced", you can connect them to L50 or A30pro and get full power out of them in this situation.
Thank you for the explanation.

spnc

So this or Topping L50/A30 Pro? Will be using it for pro use (mixing, mastering)
Be careful after a lot of research it seems that Topping products are made in China and cause a lot of problems (exploding, damaging headphones, etc.). The quality build and quality control of Chinese products leave a lot to desired. I'd rather go with US/European products. Just my two cents here.

Itamarz

Be careful after a lot of research it seems that Topping products are made in China and cause a lot of problems (exploding, damaging headphones, etc.). The quality build and quality control of Chinese products leave a lot to desired. I'd rather go with US/European products. Just my two cents here.
This was 1 batch of L30, I guess they are ultra careful with that now. China =/= bad for a long time now

Kevbaz

Ordered an Atom+ Amp in UK today, hopefully will arrive tomorrow. Really looking forwarding to trying with my CD player. I may also buy the Atom+ DAC to connect the amp to my MacBook :)
Kev

Skinner001

It took a lot of research to discover Topping is from China? :D
As mentioned here it was one series of the L30 - I'd like to see a company with any type of history which has not had a bad product or series. Just look at US and EU car manufacturers, a damn joke how many recalls.

I hope you do understand that a ton of "made in the US" and EU stuff is just assembled there, while most of the components are form Asia.

In the realm of audio, I'd take a Topping amp over a Schiit amp any day - for performance, build quality, and quality control.

Americans make good stuff, and shit, EU companies make good stuff and shit, companies in China make good stuff and shit - making shit is not country specific. It sounds that your "lot of research" is limited to geography rather than the company/products.

spnc

It took a lot of research to discover Topping is from China? :D
As mentioned here it was one series of the L30 - I'd like to see a company with any type of history which has not had a bad product or series. Just look at US and EU car manufacturers, a damn joke how many recalls.

I hope you do understand that a ton of "made in the US" and EU stuff is just assembled there, while most of the components are form Asia.

In the realm of audio, I'd take a Topping amp over a Schiit amp any day - for performance, build quality, and quality control.

Americans make good stuff, and shit, EU companies make good stuff and shit, companies in China make good stuff and shit - making shit is not country specific. It sounds that your "lot of research" is limited to geography rather than the company/products.
Haha okay thanks :) You must have shares in this company, I respect that.

Kevbaz

My Atom+ Amp arrived today. Had it connected to my Arcam CD player driving my Sennheiser HD 660s and it sounds fantastic, clean clear and lots of power. I like it so much I ordered the Atom+ DAC so i can bypass the old Arcam DAC and allow usb from Qobuz on my MacBook.
Fantastic value and interaction with JDS labs over email was great.
Cheers
Kev

Attachments

• A93379BA-CBD0-42F8-A08C-E453A0735F0B.jpeg
    A93379BA-CBD0-42F8-A08C-E453A0735F0B.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 199

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My Atom+ Amp arrived today. Had it connected to my Arcam CD player driving my Sennheiser HD 660s and it sounds fantastic, clean clear and lots of power. I like it so much I ordered the Atom+ DAC so i can bypass the old Arcam DAC and allow usb from Qobuz on my MacBook.
Fantastic value and interaction with JDS labs over email was great.
Cheers
Kev
The Atom+ gear is excellent value and very good performance. :D

Top Bottom