• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Pro release

Cofra

Strange. It says in the product information:

"The four-pin mini-XLR connection allows compatibility with balanced cables"

Anyways, I shouldn't bother this tread more with headphone specifics.

Veri

Master Contributor
Strange. It says in the product information:

"The four-pin mini-XLR connection allows compatibility with balanced cables"

Anyways, I shouldn't bother this tread more with headphone specifics.
The connector allows it. I'm thinking the headphone wiring however does not, out of the box. Otherwise you'd find many DT1770 balanced cables. I looked and found no such thing. So yeah, modding seems required.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The connector allows it. I'm thinking the headphone wiring however does not, out of the box. Otherwise you'd find many DT1770 balanced cables. I looked and found no such thing. So yeah, modding seems required.
@Cofra @Protomartyrdom

The Drop 177X was created with a 4 pin socket and associated wiring and therefore capable of being run "balanced". IIRC it was also sold with an optional balanced cable. As a marked difference to its OG Beyer sibling the DT1770.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-beyerdynamic-dt177x-go-headphones

Now, the real question is why would one need to run such a low impedance can balanced. Well, you wouldnt, but its a sop to the audiophile market.

Poonflip

Thinking about getting this for an Android phone. Does anyone already use this with Android? How does the volume control work? Can volume be fine-tuned?

Steeveep

Thinking about getting this for an Android phone. Does anyone already use this with Android? How does the volume control work? Can volume be fine-tuned?
With UAPP it uses the hardware volume slider for fine control

mslim

Is this model in the pipeline for measurements? Wound be interesting to see if the ESS hump is problematic.

multicast

Anyone noticed a slight crackling using balanced output, especially when the audio resolution is changed? I've installed firmware 1.1, but that didn't completely solve the problem. I'm using an iPhone X, latest IOS, Apple Music, OTG cable from Hidizs.

Steeveep

Anyone noticed a slight crackling using balanced output, especially when the audio resolution is changed? I've installed firmware 1.1, but that didn't completely solve the problem. I'm using an iPhone X, latest IOS, Apple Music, OTG cable from Hidizs.
I did randomnly on Android with UAPP just before some songs started playing so I went back to single ended which sounds the same and is all the power I need. How sensitive are your iems/headphones?

multicast

Nothing to do with balanced or not. Every time the resolution changes, there are two tiny "clicks", as if the device is turned off and the on again. And only on the left channel. It's a very minor issue, though. Using SE535, btw.

Anyway, it's a great little DAC and I enjoy it daily. Would buy it again.

meccup

@multicast where did you get the firmware? I can't find any on the hidizs website for s9pro

Kevbaz

Does anyone have a picture of the internals of the Hidizs s9 or s9 Pro
Cheers
Kevin

sthaus

Hidizs s9 Pro wont support DSD512 at least on Roon .. any clue or help please ?? it only support up to 256 DSD ..
It is loud enough with my iPhone and PC computer(vol set 30-40%) .. in my opinion, volume control is not necessary with s9pro .. unless you need a pre-amp ?

Attachments

• hidizs-1.jpg
    hidizs-1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 178
  • hidizs-2.jpg
    hidizs-2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 144
  • hidizs-256DSD.jpg
    hidizs-256DSD.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 148

0RF30

Hidizs s9 Pro wont support DSD512 at least on Roon .. any clue or help please ?? it only support up to 256 DSD ..
It is loud enough with my iPhone and PC computer(vol set 30-40%) .. in my opinion, volume control is not necessary with s9pro .. unless you need a pre-amp ?

Attachments

• photo_2021-10-16_11-56-39 - Copie.jpg
    photo_2021-10-16_11-56-39 - Copie.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 173
  • photo_2021-10-16_11-58-54 - Copie.jpg
    photo_2021-10-16_11-58-54 - Copie.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 141
  • photo_2021-10-16_14-29-59 - Copie.jpg
    photo_2021-10-16_14-29-59 - Copie.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

wisechoice

Picked this up for only 109 CAD, at the beginning of their recent sale. I'm eager to give it a try!

wisechoice

I'm having the same issue with new S9 Pro. DSD512 won't play, in fact native DSD won't play at all, only DoP (which I would expect to only reach DSD256 in any case).

It doesn't matter whether I use DirectSDM with a DSD file or use upsampling, neither works. Using HQPlayer streaming to a NAA on Raspberry Pi. No issues playing DSD512 with my Topping EX5 and Gustard X16.

wisechoice

I'm having the same issue with new S9 Pro. DSD512 won't play, in fact native DSD won't play at all, only DoP (which I would expect to only reach DSD256 in any case).

It doesn't matter whether I use DirectSDM with a DSD file or use upsampling, neither works. Using HQPlayer streaming to a NAA on Raspberry Pi. No issues playing DSD512 with my Topping EX5 and Gustard X16.

Update: it will play on Windows with the ASIO driver. But not on macOS, iOS or on the RPi NAA for HQPlayer. I think it's relatively well known that DSD is limited to DoP on the Mac and iOS without a custom driver. Not sure why some companies are able to do this but others aren't.

wisechoice

And unfortunately, I'm also hearing interruptions on iOS when a message comes in, so something like the cellular data issue that others have reported with previous Hidizs models. Plus extremely loud pops on rate/format changes (one of the loudest I've heard yet from a DAC, aside from maybe the troublesome SMSL SU-8 v2). Sigh.

Top Bottom