• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 DAC/Streamer Official Thread

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I’ve ordered a unit today from Shenzenaudio. I think I will still run it through my Topping pre amp.

I'm running X-SABRE 3 unbalanced outs to a Drawmer CMC3 monitor controller and from there to my Dynaudio BM5 mkIII active monitors + Rythmik Audio L22 subwoofer. Then balanced outs from X-SABRE 3 to my Topping A90 headphone amp. Sounds great both ways :)

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
What benefit do you expect to derive from this approach?
Well, I think for a mono power amp set up maybe the MA will need a bit of assistance? Maybe not. I’ll have to try it out.

applebees

I’m thinking of getting one for my main system but wondering if X-SABRE 3 can play dsd512 files on Synology NAS using UPnP/DLNA via WLAN?

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I don't have any DSD 512 but I do have a few DSD 256 and they play totally fine using mConnect app stored in my Synology DS1019+ NAS. They also play using Roon.

IMG_8653.jpeg

IMG_8652.PNG

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Here is DSD 512 with mConnect app:

IMG_8654.PNG

IMG_8655.jpeg

Here with Roon same DSD 512 file stored in Synology DS1019+ NAS:

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 1.34.28 PM (2).png

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Be aware that with Roon, DSD512 files are very demanding. I'm running a NUC 10i7 running ROCK with 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD and I had to turn OFF all DSP and volume leveling to play the DSD512 file. With some DSP turned ON, the processing speed was only 0.5x and at some point Roon stopped. After tuning OFF all my DSP, the file played normally.

heita0

Hi. I am thinking of getting this device for my PC. I want it to function seamlessly across video games, videos, and general software sound effects in addition to music. Does a USB connection allow this kind of hassle-free, plug-and-forget usage?

Essentially I just want it to process all PC audio without a hitch.

Last edited:
OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Hi. I am thinking of getting this device for my PC. I want it to function seamlessly across video games, videos, and general software sound effects in addition to music. Does a USB connection allow this kind of hassle-free, plug-and-forget usage?

Essentially I just want it to process all PC audio without a hitch.

Yes, it would as any DAC with USB input should do.

JCollins

I have just purchased this DAC to replace my NAD M51, its currently being shipped to me from China. Do you think this DAC will be measured/tested on ASR in the near future?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have just purchased this DAC to replace my NAD M51, its currently being shipped to me from China. Do you think this DAC will be measured/tested on ASR in the near future?

Unless Amir has one already in his massive stack of equipment to measure, no I dont think it will be measured soon. And even if he does, it probably wont be soon- big workload, small hands.

If he doesnt have one then he is reliant on either an owner or NAD to send one in. I suspect he would like to measure one.

JCollins

Thanks. I am pretty sure based on the Matrix Audio Element X measurement results that the newest edition i.e. Sabre 3 would have similar measurements or better than the Topping D90SE, so would once again lead the Dac pack, but obviously an assumption.

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
Hi, got my Sabre today. All connected but one snag. When I connected the XLR outputs from the Sabre to my pre amp. No sound. Any ideas?

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Hi, got my Sabre today. All connected but one snag. When I connected the XLR outputs from the Sabre to my pre amp. No sound. Any ideas?
Did you check the Volume is up? The X-SABRE 3 comes with Variable volume settings from factory so make sure the volume is all the way up.

Also make sure the "Input" is properly selected.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
BTW, there is no selection for outputs. Both, Unbalanced (RCA) and Balanced (XLR) outs are active al the time. So most likely it is an issue with Input select or volume level.

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
BTW, there is no selection for outputs. Both, Unbalanced (RCA) and Balanced (XLR) outs are active al the time. So most likely it is an issue with Input select or volume level.
As always quite simple solution. There is a line out selection and this has to be set to fixed which makes the output fixed at its maximum 0db. Then the preamp works fine. I’m finding the remote a bit tricky. The battery they supplied seems to be nearly dead. Anyway minor problems. All ship shape will experiment with airplay next and maybe even Bluetooth!

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
As always quite simple solution. There is a line out selection and this has to be set to fixed which makes the output fixed at its maximum 0db. Then the preamp works fine. I’m finding the remote a bit tricky. The battery they supplied seems to be nearly dead. Anyway minor problems. All ship shape will experiment with airplay next and maybe even Bluetooth!
It should work both ways, fixed and variable. I run my X-SABRE 3 through a pre amp and I have mine set on Variable Out.

Top Bottom