• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07/A08 (TPA 3255) vs Audiophonics MPA-S250NC XLR (nc252mp) for ELAC DBR-62?

thetrystero

I have already purchased the ELAC DBR-62. And I was initially set on getting the following trio of devices to go with it for my living room listening (music and TV):
- Audiophonics MPA-S250NC XLR (250W per channel at 4ohm)
- Topping D30 Pro (initially considered but struck out the SMSL SU9 (firmware issue) and Soncoz SGD1 (PSU issue))
- Raspberry Pi for streaming

However recently Amir's video on the A07 got recommended to me by the algorithm. The A07 I can get locally for less than USD50, and the Hypex will set me back about USD500 shipped. I had initially budgeted this much (500) for the amp, and was quite happy with what I've read about it, but now the A07 seems very appealing, but a lot of the praise garnered seems to come always with the "given the price" sort of thing. I couldn't find any absolute comparisons with other amps in terms of sound on a pure performance basis. I have no doubt that I'll pick one up in future perhaps for a future setup in a different room or just as an experiment but for now I'd like to get a decent setup for the living room first. I have no qualms paying up for the Hypex, if indeed there will be an audible difference in sound quality. But if there's nothing in it, then there really is no point for me to overspend. Thoughts?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO get the NCore and forget about it for good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9685

AIYIMA A07 is good enough if you pair it with a good enough power supply.

Unfortunately, sellers sell AIYIMA A07 with a bad power supply.

You will have to look for good power supply if you choose AIYIMA A07.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have already purchased the ELAC DBR-62. And I was initially set on getting the following trio of devices to go with it for my living room listening (music and TV):
- Audiophonics MPA-S250NC XLR (250W per channel at 4ohm)
- Topping D30 Pro (initially considered but struck out the SMSL SU9 (firmware issue) and Soncoz SGD1 (PSU issue))
- Raspberry Pi for streaming

However recently Amir's video on the A07 got recommended to me by the algorithm. The A07 I can get locally for less than USD50, and the Hypex will set me back about USD500 shipped. I had initially budgeted this much (500) for the amp, and was quite happy with what I've read about it, but now the A07 seems very appealing, but a lot of the praise garnered seems to come always with the "given the price" sort of thing. I couldn't find any absolute comparisons with other amps in terms of sound on a pure performance basis. I have no doubt that I'll pick one up in future perhaps for a future setup in a different room or just as an experiment but for now I'd like to get a decent setup for the living room first. I have no qualms paying up for the Hypex, if indeed there will be an audible difference in sound quality. But if there's nothing in it, then there really is no point for me to overspend. Thoughts?

What I have learned ( I have two Aiyima a04 tpa 3251 and one a07 tpa 3255 ) is that you cant really tell which amplifier gonna sound the best . You have to listen for yourself and the price is no soundquality parameter.

I have compared with class A/B amplifiers from 200-700 dollars and the Aiyima a04 sound better than all of them, and slightly better than a07 . If you play at sensible levels.

HYPEX is well regarded and I think that they are at least not worse sounding than tpa 3251/3255 series.
It seems that the tpa 3251/3255 is one of the best sounding chip-class D solutions .
If you go for an Aiyima I can rekommend a meanwell power supply. 32 V 6 A.

The new Aiyima a08 tpa3255 for 120 dollar has digital input and an inbuilt powersupply. On the swedish forum faktiskt.io they have checked the voltage of that amplifiers power supply and its 36 V 9,6 A . Thats gives about 2*150 watt at 4 ohms, 1 % distortion. Thats more than enough for your loudspeakers.
I would buy that amplifier at Amazon, and later swap the ne5532 for the better sounding lm4562 .

Edit : I wouldnt buy a class A/B amplifier in those days - the price is gonna be high and the sound less dynamic for the most of them.

Last edited:

bramsat

I got the aiyima 07 10 day's he sounds better than the cambridge cxa61 the aiyima....its a bargain ...onbelievable

Attachments

• P1050404.JPG
    P1050404.JPG
    964.5 KB · Views: 534

jst

Aiyima A07 with 32v5a(stock) only consumes 3.6 watt of power from the wall. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing. Good thing is low cost but bad thing is we always want more power to drive speakers, so if you're ok with the low power then it's ok.

I have no problem with it driving my 6.5inch speaker with flat setting but when I use it to drive PA speaker 10" , sure it has bass, but I have to boost it a bit from equalizer.

Here is Aiyima A07 power consumption using 32v5a black brick adapter and 48v5a counterpart, respectively.
It draws so little power from the wall, that's 9-10 o'clock volume. Measured using kwh meter.
Screenshot_481.jpg Screenshot_482.jpg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no qualms paying up for the Hypex, if indeed there will be an audible difference in sound quality. But if there's nothing in it, then there really is no point for me to overspend. Thoughts?
Thoughts?

The good thing here at ASR, is that we have the data to decide. There is not that much room for opinions.;)

-A07 Vs NC252MP? Not open to any kind of debate: Ncore runs circles around it in virtually every aspects mesurable. The most obvious one being power and more importantly, power reserve.
- The A07 with whatever PSU won't be able to output that much power since it will go to protection due to overheat anyway.
- The DBR-62 are not that easy to drive. If you look at Amir's measurements, you get something like 86dB/1W/1M (IEC). Not to mention impedance magnitude, which indicates very difficult speaker. More power is always needed if you intend to listen at decent SPL at any distance.
- According to @pma, A07 FR is load dependent. Not the Ncore's.

At the end of the day: If you may afford it, take the Ncore. If you don't, buy the A07. The latter is an exceptional budget amplifier and a much better performer than FDAs such as AD18 and so on. But as long as real power is needed, it cannot compete. Period.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Tangband,
I'm going to order the A08 and potentially swap the op amp. Do you already have experience and/or heard the differences between op amps..? Or maybe you could point me in the right direction? Would it be this one: https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/texas-instruments/LM4562NA-NOPB/1217793
Will you hear any difference? Yes, probably if you want to hear a difference.

DanielT

Major Contributor
-A07 Vs NC252MP? Not open to any kind of debate: Ncore runs circles around it in virtually every aspects mesurable.
- The DBR-62... 86dB/1W/1M (IEC
Though it all takes a lot of $ to make it run (compared to A07).:)

DBR-62, 86dB / 1W / 1M.. plus A07, well maybe more power is needed. Maybe split the signal? LP-HP filter and active subwoofers? That to make it easier for A07? Maybe not what thetrystereo is interested in though ..

pma

Major Contributor
NC252MP is an adult, grown-up amplifier. This is the big difference and it costs money. Any circuit based on TPA32XY and similar chips has its limitations that cannot be surpassed. Yes they are cheap, because they are mass produced. So it goes.

DanielT

Major Contributor
NC252MP is an adult, grown-up amplifier. This is the big difference and it costs money. Any circuit based on TPA32XY and similar chips has its limitations that cannot be surpassed. Yes they are cheap, because they are mass produced. So it goes.
Agree. Just as pointed out like several others (not just in this thread) NC252MP
is in another division, that vs A07. A bit like comparing apples to pears..Another division $ too..It was just what I wanted to say.:)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I hope you are joking...
Why?

Let me add, lets compare to that 'great' rega io.
For half the price i get a amp that has not to fight with flew power and overheating. Measures not worse, has DSP and is bridgable.
So for the rest i get a nice dac with headphone amp.
That combinaton will not just run circles about that Rega, it will kick it far behinde moon orbit for the same money.

Last edited:

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Why?

Let me add, lets compare to that 'great' rega io.
For half the price i get a amp that has not to fight with flew power and overheating. Measures not worse, has DSP and is bridgable.
So for the rest i get a nice dac with headphone amp.
That combinaton will not just run circles about that Rega, it will kick it far behinde moon orbit for the same money.
It is good for subwoofers where you use the low pass filters otherwise it is too noisy.

DanielT

Major Contributor
The ELAC DBR-62 speakers apparently need a decently powerful amplifier, so :

Conclusions
The Behringer A800 does what pro amps try to do: provide solid, middle-of-the-road distortion and noise with tons of power in quiet and light package for little money. The design is stable and better than the A500. As such, I can recommend the A800 as an everyday amplifier.
The A800 costs US $ 299 including free shipping from multiple sites.

Top Bottom