• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

stren

Forum Donor
The whole R series is on sale through Jan. 8 on KEF and through authorized vendors:

It seems the R series was released in 2018. Is 4 years long enough for a refresh? I thought the previous R series was out longer than that.

Also, even it is time for a refresh the R series is great so it seems like a reasonable purchase anyway.

I don't think they're refreshing it, I think it's more of a mid cycle sale. They always do regular sales, particularly for november. It used to be the q100's going on sale often, then the LS50's, but the metas are too new and the R's are old enough now. I think they would refresh references or blades next to be honest. R's still seem too new.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think they're refreshing it, I think it's more of a mid cycle sale. They always do regular sales, particularly for november. It used to be the q100's going on sale often, then the LS50's, but the metas are too new and the R's are old enough now. I think they would refresh references or blades next to be honest. R's still seem too new.
But the question remains, when will they refresh the Muon:eek:

I wonder how many of those they have even sold.

carewser

Muon sounds way too much like moron to me but they sure are cool looking. The craziest thing is, KEF has two reviews on the site for the Muon speakers which means at least 2 people have shelled out almost a quarter of a million dollars for a set of speakers. It's nice to see Mr. Clean getting some work again too:
muon-pair-rl-final.jpg

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha, every penny counts!
If the drop sale closes, Apos has certified E30's with free shipping, warranty, and they didn't charge sales tax on the last one I got for $127. You have to login to see it, under member specials and re certified section.

ta240

Major Contributor
The craziest thing is, KEF has two reviews on the site for the Muon speakers which means at least 2 people have shelled out almost a quarter of a million dollars for a set of speakers.

Or, two people that don't own them, wrote glowing reviews so they got posted. I wrote a review of the PW-Link saying its room correction was impressive but when used in digital in/out mode it would pop between songs Paradigm never posted it. So I put very little weight into posted reviews.

It's nice to see Mr. Clean getting some work again too:

It's a bit creepy. Does he come with the speakers? Haunts them? Lives in them?

Last edited:

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's a bit creepy. Does he come with the speakers? Haunts them? Lives in them?
It is definitely weird to have the CEO from Live Corp posing with the speakers.

(from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs for those who may not have a kid at home)

poxymoron

Muon sounds way too much like moron to me but they sure are cool looking. The craziest thing is, KEF has two reviews on the site for the Muon speakers which means at least 2 people have shelled out almost a quarter of a million dollars for a set of speakers. It's nice to see Mr. Clean getting some work again too:
muon-pair-rl-final.jpg
it gets better. FFS!

1635787138936.png

virtua

THANK YOU! Its going on the list to showcase today. Its headphone buying day!
Are these rugged enough for teenager use? Do you recommend a case for them?

Hi Mickey, if you're looking for something rugged I'd go for a Beyerdynamic DT770, 880, 990 or possibly a Sennheiser HD280 Pro. Those are close to indestructable. I'd say these are about middle of the road durability wise. They're likely going to be more rugged than cheap gaming headsets, but they won't hold a candle to the former I've mentioned above. Should be fine without a case but you probably wouldn't want to drop them too often. The main issue this headphone has I would say, is that the headband mechanism does tend to seperate off the headband on one side but I don't think it's too costly to get a replacement if that happens after a few years. However, for the current price these are a great deal for sound quality and I think they are the cheapest planar magnetic headphone available currently. They're based around that same design of the HE400i/HE400se/HE4xx which are my favourite headphones for sound quality south of 250 - 300 USD.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Heads up...monoprice.com is having their "Black Friday" deals. Link.

ModelBlack Friday Pricing
Monolith by Monoprice 10in THX SelectNow $419.99. Regular $499.99. Save $80.00 (16%)
Monolith by Monoprice 12in THX UltraNow $649.99. Regular $799.99. Save $150.00 (19%)
Monolith by Monoprice 15in THX UltraNow $999.99. $1,339.99. Save $340.00 (25%)

Opinion: Im guessing monoprice will be clearing out these Revisions 1's from inventory, and will be replaced with Revision 2's (that got released last week) soon.
Re-posting.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD599 are on sale for $150 at many vendors. For example,

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Hi Mickey, if you're looking for something rugged I'd go for a Beyerdynamic DT770, 880, 990 or possibly a Sennheiser HD280 Pro. Those are close to indestructable. I'd say these are about middle of the road durability wise. They're likely going to be more rugged than cheap gaming headsets, but they won't hold a candle to the former I've mentioned above. Should be fine without a case but you probably wouldn't want to drop them too often. The main issue this headphone has I would say, is that the headband mechanism does tend to seperate off the headband on one side but I don't think it's too costly to get a replacement if that happens after a few years. However, for the current price these are a great deal for sound quality and I think they are the cheapest planar magnetic headphone available currently. They're based around that same design of the HE400i/HE400se/HE4xx which are my favourite headphones for sound quality south of 250 - 300 USD.
WISH I saw this post on Sunday! I showed them to him on amazon, and he chose to get the HiFiman phones
1635843337134.png

I just purchased 3 sets of phones. The Beyerdynamic DT770 set WILL be in the next round of holiday shopping. I purchased these so far all with extended warranties. It was not my idea really. Kind of surprised he cares so much about quality at 14, really proud of that. At first he was not to keen about lugging around phones that cost over $50, but then I pointed out the reviews here.

Showed him the HE-X4, and he chose that first. Strangely, he said that the DT770 (in his opinion ) did not look very rugged from a glance at the listing photos. Looks can be deceiving.

I also threw in these as I am still waiting for the topping Bluetooth Dac to get back in stock. Its a nice stopgap until the Massdrop order gets here.
1635844046476.png

I think I can drop them off at his school, if that's okay with them. I tried them out to "See if they work" Ear pads are a bit uncomfortable and get hot after 45 min. The sound quality was VERY FORWARD. It almost sounded like I can hear the driver distort a bit even when at half volume almost like cone breakup in songs I tried. Great for voice however. But they sure are open and almost too boosted in uber detailed in the midrange, and have a good balanced low range but seem to be missing the bottom octave thump of the typical phones at this price market.

I'm no Headphone junky. They do sound "Good" over bluetooth. Not what I would call High end by ANY MEANS.
But I purchased these so he has something other than a broken cheap Department store set of phones he was given.

I think they would sound better with the cord for sure. Out of the box? Not bad. They look good. But I can tell, these are not what I would ever call robust. Kind of like a happy meal of headphones. you are more excited about the toy and the playground.

I also got a set of these as this was his first choice (Purley for budget and he likes my Panasonic's)
1635844970484.png

They were on sale for $32, so I just threw them in the cart. Another 5 days before they get here, so hence, ordered the ones above as they were next day.

Now if the 5 year old niece can ever get over the Fascination with wanting to be a Unicorn? ...

Alas...
1635845415779.png

PRINCESS PURPLE.... Oh dear..
OAR6.gif

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monoprice monolith subwoofer black Friday sales are starting.

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
Monoprice monolith subwoofer black Friday sales are starting.

Those are great deals on great subs. Hobie has confirmed that these are as low as the prices will go.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
muon-pair-rl-final.jpg

I would expect his shirt to sport a "9".

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought a 10 inch THX.

Top Bottom