• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

cardas gold ref cables

MichaelV

You registered with the wrong forum to tell us about your imagined differences between different types of solder. Really there is no end to audiophile lunacy...
Thanks for the… “kind” welcome.

I never claimed in my findings (solders or RCA connectors) that what I submitted is universal truths. And of course better or different is my definition of better, not anyone else’s. There is no universal audio truth. Transparency to me may be painful to you; lush to me may be euphonic to you.

Quite simply, my post submitted some of my findings (my own audio truth, in my own setup, in my own listening space and of course for my own ears and tastes having 50 years of experience in Hi End), which came about after painstaking and costly time-consuming repeated tests and comparisons (the scientifically accepted method of trial and error) that says – not at all imaginary - that for better or for worse even each different type of solders or any different type from RCA connector they can elevate or degrade the sound quality of an excellent cable costing only ~5 €/m.

Something that could help OP (or other forum members as well) in the endless exploration of their own audio truth, also smiling satisfied with its sonic result, but also saving a lot of money instead of buying boutique cables costing hundreds or thousands € or $.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
painstaking and costly time-consuming repeated tests and comparisons (the scientifically accepted method of trial and error) that says – not at all imaginary - that for better or for worse even each different type of solders or any different type from RCA connector they can elevate or degrade the sound quality of an excellent cable costing only ~5 €/m.
So please detail how you implemented basic controls, specifically the double blind controls. I mean, if you claim "painstaking" and "time consuming," I'm sure you did rigorous controls and are ready to share them. Right?

If you think science is about trial and error, I would personally enjoy beating the teachers you had in school who polluted your brain with that nonsense.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I'm surprised this is (still) a thread.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of DIY interconnects cables and RCA connectors:
First of all to praise Mogami 2549 as a cable that has humiliated cables worth hundreds, even thousands of € or $.
In contrast IMHO Cardas Golden Reference is a cable too much colored with strongly accented edges (LF and HF) (something like the loudness of the amps of older technology) and loose MF. This was not the case with the older Cardas Golden Cross, which was a lot less colored.

Recently I've been very extensively experimenting with which RCA connectors (and which one the corresponding solder) best match the excellent Mogami 2549. Here are the results (in my own setup, in my own listening space and of course for my own ears and tastes):

For the best solder (experimenting between WBT, Cardas, Wonder, Mudorf Supreme) I found Mudorf by far better with controlled LF, correct and eloquent MF, and extremely transparent, but also crisp HF). However, this requires special dexterity and speed of soldering, as well as a suitable soldering apparatus (certainly up to 450o Celsius) because it contains a very high percentage of silver (9%) and gold.

Regarding the RCA connectors:
- WBT Nextgen 0110: neutral with controlled LF, quiet, transparent and crisp but not overemphasized HF, but a bit light weighty and too much polite (a bit lack of body and macro-dynamics) for my tastes.
- KLEI Absolute Harmony: Too much luss for my tastes, with weak and stumped HF and flabby though extensive LF, but with very sweet MF.
- Linn (Linn’s part number Conn 477/3, the ones that Linn uses with Mogami 2549 on its flagship Klimax LP12 as phono cable): Excellent in all areas. The best.
- Cardas GRCM: Excellent in all areas. Too close to Linn.
- Unfortunately, most of the cheap RCA Connectors (such as Switchcraft, Neutric, Amphenol, HiCon, etc.) without dramatically degrading the excellent Mogami 2549, they fail to highlight the truly exceptional capabilities of this excellent cable as a semi-ballanced (rca to rca) interconnect.
Hm. Imagine that.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I’ve got over 55 years of using my ears to make judgement about sound. I think it is terrible the high end roll-off that I hear in all modern audio equipment. Twenty-plus years ago the high frequencies (14kHz and above) had much more sizzle and presence. I don’t know if it is to do with more pollution in the atmosphere now or where the copper mines were then, but something is definitely up with modern audio equipment.

MichaelV

So please detail how you implemented basic controls, specifically the double blind controls. I mean, if you claim "painstaking" and "time consuming," I'm sure you did rigorous controls and are ready to share them. Right?

If you think science is about trial and error, I would personally enjoy beating the teachers you had in school who polluted your brain with that nonsense.
Ultimately it is extremely sad that a hobby such as listening and enjoying music at home, as well as searching on the way that will make this hobby as enjoyable as possible for eachone of us (through the exchange of our – subjective of course - experiences ), can unprovoked make some to expel so much ironies, rude aggression and even vulgarity! Smearing this way, the image of a forum that is supposed to deal exactly with this very polite hobby.
Also, among other things, to ironically to call me, more or less to apologize for how I came up with the findings I submitted. Obviously, you being a typical flat – earther you didn't understand anything I wrote in my second post, nor do you seem to have the mood or that ability! And of course I do not intend to follow you in your pathetic plight.

So you're probably right, I have registered with a forum which some rude people like you, make it seem like the wrong forum for sure.

DanielT

Major Contributor
that I hear..
...or not.

I myself like of course everyone else, have gradually, over the years, lost more and more ability to hear the highest frequencies.

Not much to do about that. it is just how it is.:)

article-g04_400_256.jpg

Last edited:

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ultimately it is extremely sad that a hobby such as listening and enjoying music at home, as well as searching on the way that will make this hobby as enjoyable as possible for eachone of us (through the exchange of our – subjective of course - experiences ), can unprovoked make some to expel so much ironies, rude aggression and even vulgarity! Smearing this way, the image of a forum that is supposed to deal exactly with this very polite hobby.
Also, among other things, to ironically to call me, more or less to apologize for how I came up with the findings I submitted. Obviously, you being a typical flat – earther you didn't understand anything I wrote in my second post, nor do you seem to have the mood or that ability! And of course I do not intend to follow you in your pathetic plight.

So you're probably right, I have registered with a forum which some rude people like you, make it seem like the wrong forum for sure.
Michael,
Welcome to ASR! I wrote this in another thread and I think it applies here too:

I think the overarching point is that other's subjective comments (ie lifeless, bland, how good it sounds, etc) is just their personal interpretation in the moment. Here at ASR, we mostly focus on what happens with the music before it hits yours ears. What happens between your ears and your brain is different for everyone, and even trying to pick words to describe what you think you are hearing is basically useless, because not only will others hear it differently, the adjectives they try and use to describe it are up for interpretation and imprecise. Reading about a stranger's experience on the internet has almost nothing to do with your experience. Combined with the study of psychoacoustics (we usually hear what we want to hear or think we should hear, whether it is there or not), it's just not reliable to put much stock in other's opinions. That's why we focus on the measured performance, so everyone is starting on the same page.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I’ve got over 55 years of using my ears to make judgement about sound. I think it is terrible the high end roll-off that I hear in all modern audio equipment. Twenty-plus years ago the high frequencies (14kHz and above) had much more sizzle and presence. I don’t know if it is to do with more pollution in the atmosphere now or where the copper mines were then, but something is definitely up with modern audio equipment.

This isn't meant to be flippant, but have you checked your high frequency hearing lately? Few of us in our 50's+ are getting far into the high teens without a lot of roll off...

caught gesture

Forum Donor
This isn't meant to be flippant, but have you checked your high frequency hearing lately? Few of us in our 50's+ are getting far into the high teens without a lot of roll off...
I guess my facetiousness was not evident enough without some sort of emoji! Sorry.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
through the exchange of our – subjective of course - experiences

If those subjective experiences didn't have meaningful controls (which it sounds like they didnt), they aren't worth as much as you believe they are.

There are lots of sites that don't differentiate between anecdote and evidence, so what you take as rude is simply 'us' trying to determine which we are dealing with.

YOU claimed lots of scientific rigor in your testing. Looks like it wasn't so rigorous after all. Don't get worked up because you were challenged to back up your claims. If you aren't up for, or interested in that, there are lots of places that dig a good story.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cardas don’t make cables, the Atlantic Telegraph Company made cables::

Attachments

• 1A8F0760-53F9-4692-9DC2-3FB3889BCFB5.jpeg
    1A8F0760-53F9-4692-9DC2-3FB3889BCFB5.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 69

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
People are free to imagine whatever sonic magic they want to imagine in their own listening room. What you have to understand though is that when you pop onto an audio forum and you start trumpeting the wondrous magic of this new boutique cable or that new boutique dac, you are SELLING product for that manufacturer. People read what you say and they add that recommendation to their list of pros for that item they might have been considering for a time. Now of course, buyer beware and all that. There's lots and lots of audio forums on the internet where you can sell those products for those manufacturers and nobody will bat an eye. But, this is ASR and things are different here. Most of us here are not willing to just accept that a person can hear ultrasonic frequencies. The fundamental assumption here is that there are no audible differences between things that don't have measurable differences. In fact, even beyond that...there aren't likely audible differences between some things that actually do have measurable differences. Our electronic machines are more sensitive than our biological machines. So, anyone that posts a thread about the benefits of a cable here are going to get challenged on it...especially an expensive cable.

egellings

Major Contributor
If there is a difference in sound between different competently designed cables, and the cables are stupidly expensive, I don't understand the value in paying so much money for such microscopic, barely discernable differences. Lotsa bucks for little or nothing at all.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If there is a difference in sound between different competently designed cables, and the cables are stupidly expensive, I don't understand the value in paying so much money for such microscopic, barely discernable differences. Lotsa bucks for little or nothing at all.
Because audiophiles think they have special hearing and are the best at describing their experiences! :) Especially if it's "high-end" :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Please give me your science teachers' names. I have a baseball bat ready. They really did a number on you.

MichaelV

Michael,
Welcome to ASR! I wrote this in another thread and I think it applies here too:

I think the overarching point is that other's subjective comments (ie lifeless, bland, how good it sounds, etc) is just their personal interpretation in the moment. Here at ASR, we mostly focus on what happens with the music before it hits yours ears. What happens between your ears and your brain is different for everyone, and even trying to pick words to describe what you think you are hearing is basically useless, because not only will others hear it differently, the adjectives they try and use to describe it are up for interpretation and imprecise. Reading about a stranger's experience on the internet has almost nothing to do with your experience. Combined with the study of psychoacoustics (we usually hear what we want to hear or think we should hear, whether it is there or not), it's just not reliable to put much stock in other's opinions. That's why we focus on the measured performance, so everyone is starting on the same page.
Thanks for your kindness! I will answer to you and to Sgt. Ear Ache with what has been formulated from time to time by many in relevant forums as an unanswered question, but also as a statement:

What kind of measurements do you propose for an interconnect, or for a RCA connector, or for a solder? The most common measurements for cables are capacitance and inductance (impedance). What will that tell you?

A cable’s capacitance and inductance might give you a somewhat vague idea of things, but it will not tell you how a cable sounds, nor how it sounds with different equipment in different listening rooms. The same more or less happens when you use an oscilloscope. Unfortunately your ears and brain are the best judge for that, supposing that they are adequate trained to do that.

And believe it or not, I'm not a... Luddite. As a qualified mechanical - marine engineer and naval architect I have conducted a bunch of performance measurements and scientific tests, with repeatable process, validation, proof, etc.

In an ideal world, we would be able to conduct research and find out why, scientifically, audio gear sounds the way it does. It involves a very – very complex interrelationship between materials, their purity, build, electricity, EMI, RFI and many – many other factors. Many phenomena in audio unfortunately are not yet totally backed up by science. That does not mean these things are non existen, and that we should not talk about them.

Instead, implementing our - subjective of course - experience, it may motivate some music lovers to experiment on it in order to draw their own conclusions on sound issues that concern them. And if they want, to compare their above findings with the relevant scientific measurements currently available, lest they find any correlation.

After all, if a soprano manages to make me emotionaly shocked by her performance (while another does not for the same musical part), I honestly don't need any measurement or double blind tests of her performance to convince myself of her greatness in this ART.

So it’s obvious that I do have registered with the wrong forum. I'm done._

Top Bottom