• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DACs: feature comparison

MaximXXL

Hi guys, i like topping-dac, but i am at a loss to choose the specific model that best suits my system (see attachments).
I only listen to Spotify-premium (hopefully it will soon be 16/44) and do not buy high-res files.
Any considerations?

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2021-10-27 в 14.35.57.png
    Снимок экрана 2021-10-27 в 14.35.57.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Magnat RV3.png
    Magnat RV3.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 151

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi guys, i like topping-dac, but i am at a loss to choose the specific model that best suits my system (see attachments).
I only listen to Spotify-premium (hopefully it will soon be 16/44) and do not buy high-res files.
Any considerations?
1. What inputs do you need--USB only OK or do you need optical or coax?
2. Does your amplifier or powered speakers have a balanced input? (If using RV3, no. )
3. Do you need a volume knob or remote control? (Again, probably not if you're using an RV3.)
4. Do you need a headphone amp built in, or a separate, matching headphone amp?
5. What is your budget?

Note: If your answer to the first 4 questions is USB, NO, NO, & NO, then #5 does not really matter, as the D10S is all you need.

Last edited:

MaximXXL

1. What inputs do you need--USB only OK or do you need optical or coax?
2. Does your amplifier or powered speakers have a balanced input? (If using RV3, no. )
3. Do you need a volume knob or remote control? (Again, probably not if you're using an RV3.)
4. Do you need a headphone amp built in, or a separate, matching headphone amp?
5. What is your budget?
1. Any (my mac mini has optical and usb). I also use the hdmi output from the mac mini to the TV.
2. no.
3. no.
4. no.
5. Any topping dac is available to me, but I don't want to waste money (I listen only the spotify stream).

Walter

If your TV has an optical output that you want to connect to the DAC, get an E30*. Otherwise get a D10S to avoid paying for functionality you don't need and/or very slight performance benefits that can be measured but not even close to heard.

* Newer E30s have compatability issues with some Toslink inputs, so try to test with your exact equipment.

Walter

My TV only has a 3.5 jack output. For him, I found a cable that should work with the coaxial input on the e30: https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Premium-SPDIF-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B00V436UQU So, it remains to connect the msc mini to the e30: optics or usb? What will be better?
Are you sure that is a digital 3.5mm jack and not an analog headphone output? That would be very unusual, if so. If the TV has no digital outputs, there would be no way to connect it other than going through an ADC first or buying an audio interface like a Motu M4 instead of just a DAC.

I'd try USB first, as it is more convenient and usually has less jitter. If you get any noise through the connection, then you might try optical

MaximXXL

you might try optical
If the input jitter on the optical connection is large (but sufficient for work without interruptions) - will it be reduced (suppressed) inside the device (Topping e30) or the jitter at the output will be the same as at the jitter at the input?

Walter

Amir did an article fairly recently (I think) where he did some tests and determined that the DACs he was testing did indeed eliminate excessive jitter.

Walter

Very interesting! Any DACs or Topping DACs? Do you have a link to this article?
There is this, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-topping-d10-as-usb-to-s-pdif-converter.2699/, but I don't believe that is the one I was thinking of. That specifically addresses USB in to S/PDIF out, the results of which should also apply to your scenario, but I think there was another article, as well. Maybe it was just an extra test he did in a review. Maybe scan through his recent(ish) DAC reviews.

MaximXXL

I don't believe
This article is a little about something else, although it is also curious. Amir measures the DAC's own jitter (if I understand correctly) and does it well. But what about how the DAC's output jitter is dependent on the input jitter — the source jitter? It seems this is called jitter gain. Unfortunately, I have not found such a dimension in any of Amir's review.

Walter

Yeah, this is not the article I was thinking of. You'd have as easy a time finding it as I would. Maybe try a search for "reclock" or similar.

Victor BR

D90SE is fully balanced with top ESS Sabre chip and full MQA. So, if you have a fully balanced pre amp/amp/integrated amp that is the Stairway to Heaven!

Walter

D90SE is a great DAC but it does not fit the OPs requirements at all. It is the most expensive DAC Topping makes. He does not have an amp with balanced inputs and he doent need any of the additional features, and it won't sound any better than a D10S or an E30.

Reactions: RHO

Victor BR

D90SE is a great DAC but it does not fit the OPs requirements at all. It is the most expensive DAC Topping makes. He does not have an amp with balanced inputs and he doent need any of the additional features, and it won't sound any better than a D10S or an E30.
Sorry but it does sound wonderful if used as a DAC only with balanced output only and connected to a balanced rig.
I do not believe a D10S or E30 can match it’s sound. It is pure heaven

Bleib

Major Contributor

huggzymers

Just stumbled on this list.

Was thinking, perhaps Topping have such a plethora of models because despite their design genius, they don't have a similar table internally that allows them to see where their products sit in relation to each other! If they did have a table, then it would be pretty simple to format and publish. If they don't, well that would explain why they have so many models with so many little differences and variations!

Kind of posting this as a joke. But it would be funny if it were true. The Topping people are only human after all and knowing how to design amps well doesn't make you the best at organising the overall design and product development roadmaps.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^^^This.

But audio interfaces like Motu or Focusrite exist, albeit with some features I'm not interested in (ADC).
If you go genelec GLM you can get that glorious albeit wired volume knob.

Top Bottom