• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Hypex Nc502mp Multichannel Amp Teardown

AM88

Buckeye,

I firmly believe there are a lot of mass market and far more expensive amps out there that don’t have the build quality you provide.

I’ve said this in a previous Buckeye thread, but it deserves repeating:
I admire your desire to improve your product and take advantage...with a very open mind, of the many positive suggestions and experience available to you here at ASR.

Kudos to you!

Maybe I’ll get lucky and my venerable old Rotel 1095 will blow up. If so, I’ll be placing an order for sure...and trying to figure out what to do with all that extra space left over in my audio cabinet. ; )

+1. Any manufacturer who comes on personally to forums and answers questions gets a thumbs up and potential purchase from me.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
not sure if I understand that but let me please say about Suscon alcaps, it is high quality and isn't cheap stuff. As OEM/ODM they have produced Rubicon's alcaps 15 years ago. If you'll ask me for the decent Chinese caps that name would be the first I call.
I was referring to this thread here, in which endless complaints followed until it had to be locked.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks like the trigger relay to me, he uses automotive grade relays.
May I ask a few more questions?

1- Why only one pair of contacts connected to the relay? I can see one green and one red wire connected to the relay. I assume red is the Vaux and green is the GND. What triggers the other two boards?
2- If the green wires are GND then it looks like two bottom boards (in the picture) are wired to the ground but the top board isn't. This is what @amirm has mentioned. If that is the case then may I ask @Buckeye Amps why the difference?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Does the technical word "goop" mean the same thing as conformal coating?
No, the goop is to keep things into place and prevent them from whining for example (coilwine).

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
May I ask a few more questions?

1- Why only one pair of contacts connected to the relay? I can see one green and one red wire connected to the relay. I assume red is the Vaux and green is the GND. What triggers the other two boards?
2- If the green wires are GND then it looks like two bottom boards (in the picture) are wired to the ground but the top board isn't. This is what @amirm has mentioned. If that is the case then may I ask @Buckeye Amps why the difference?
1) From the first board, the red is the Vaux which goes to one contact. The green wires coming off the relay then go to the PS Enable pins on every board (including the first one). In this way the first boards Vaux provides signal to every boards PS Enable pin to bring the boards out of standby when either the 12v trigger is used or the standby switch on the back is used
2) See above...the green wires are carrying the Vaux signal

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
In seeing a butt load and boat load of equipment, I have to say the issues brought up are really not important. They are issues that an audiophile would bring up but as a manufacturer, the Buckeye amps are a VERY clean build and seem to be perfect to sell to the consumer. Of all the junk tested by Amir, these amps look very nice. Buckeye amps for the win! I will give them my seal of approval and I'm a nitpicker! They are worth every penny.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Does the technical word "goop" mean the same thing as conformal coating?
No, the goop is to keep things into place and prevent them from whining for example (coilwine).

As @Koeitje said it is a plasticky/rubbery/caulk-like glue used to secure components in place. It is not a conformal coating such as you'd find on S-rated or high-exposure boards (e.g. in satellites, some ship and aircraft applications, etc.)

TheWalkman

+1. Any manufacturer who comes on personally to forums and answers questions gets a thumbs up and potential purchase from me.

Ditto.

For the time being, I’m amp‘ed up (particularly so, with three relatively new Aiyimas and a Denon AVR) but when I’m back in the market - and I no doubt will be based on reviews like this - Buckeye will be at the top of my list.

(Amir - you‘re costing me a small fortune, Don‘t you need a vacation? Have you thought about taking up golf? Please?)

D

Deleted member 28042

I'm embarrassed to admit I can't seem to find a website for Buckeye Amps or a dealer. Can someone direct me to one of these? Thank you in advance.

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
I'm embarrassed to admit I can't seem to find a website for Buckeye Amps or a dealer. Can someone direct me to one of these? Thank you in advance.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
No website, and the only dealer is the builder, Dylan. Look at the very first post in this thread for details: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/

PM Dylan if you want one. You save money and get direct contact with the assembler/builder, plus all the reviews and feedback here, so prett ylow-risk IMO (disclaimer: I own a NC252MP version).

Edit: @MerlinGS beat me to it...

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I still do not have a website and do all of my orders from my official thread (as someone linked to) and through word of mouth.

With how many pending orders I have at any given time, a website wouldn't do much for me at the moment other than turn away the average Internet buyer who wants an amp right away and won't wait.

Eldus

Who is a good company to buy a Hypex amp from? Audiophonics?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1) From the first board, the red is the Vaux which goes to one contact. The green wires coming off the relay then go to the PS Enable pins on every board (including the first one). In this way the first boards Vaux provides signal to every boards PS Enable pin to bring the boards out of standby when either the 12v trigger is used or the standby switch on the back is used
2) See above...the green wires are carrying the Vaux signal
Thank you. I very much appreciate your response.

beren777

Time to contract with a local electronics repair technician or shop to perform assembly to spec full-time, then add a surcharge for expedited order fulfillment? You could then spend your time doing QC instead of assembly, hopefully increasing overall production. Even if it's a short-term contract to catch up on your current backorders, it might be worthwhile and a good business experience.

Shanman

Forum Donor
You say the case is andonized, so it is made of Aluminum?

This question got overlooked and I believe I know the answer.

Ghent cases which Dillon uses as an option are anodized aluminum, he built me a 2 channel Hypex 502 module amp so I have first hand knowledge.

The actual Buckeye cases I believe are powdercoated steel. Correction below.

Top Bottom