• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Haruko

i think you should just start with those Adams T5V with topping E50 dac = 300 + 250€... They are perfect for gaming, movies and so on if you were to buy 8040 you would gain a bit more and precise low end a more precise mid (this however can be pretty pointless if your room is not acoustically treated ) you will get better depth and better high end (for example vocals on
).

or you could go digital but 8330 costs 750€ per unit and you need GLM kit 600€ new (it adjusts the sound to your room so you get almost perfect response in mid and bass BUT depending on your room glm after bass neutralization can take away all the energy in bass region which you will need to add with external EQ like Eapo which makes it absolutely useless without Notebook/PC) and you still need to feed digital input to speakers so you wont need DAC but you will need something that takes USB and outputs AES. You can get something like this at eshop but it will cost another 200+€.

If i may recommend i would just buy Adam T7V 180€ x 2 = 360€ + Adam T10S (SUB) 430€ you can adjust volume to taste and E50 250€ maybe some cheap diffusers for ceiling and gg... Genelec for TV use is overkill at least to me because you will miss out a lot if you won't listen to Genelecs at near field position...

lc155

How did you test that? On my two pairs of 8330A (one pair with 7360A) using I toggled between the analog and digital (AES3/EBU) input with no discernable difference in hiss. This was with both analog cable connected and disconnected. I've not tested that using an AES3/EBU cable connected, though.

On one pair I've turned down the volume via GLM and the hiss is a little less after 10 db down or so. I've set it to 25 dB down to better gain match with my RME ADI-2 DAC FS that has auto reference level.

I've not heard the 8030C, but the hiss on the 8330A is only noticeable on quiet evenings about 70 cm away, and that is if I listen for it. But I do notice a little hiss when the 8330A is turned on. The sound character of the hiss is not objectionable to me.

So, I finally heard back from Genelec. The tech went to R&D to ask my specific questions and then came back to me with the following:

The self generated noise level of 8330s is indeed lower than on 8030s.

It can be reduced even more by using the digital inputs - as now also the internal AD conversion is bypassed. And, in addition GLM offers you extended options to control the sensitivity which will further reduce the noise. If your digital source is providing the AES/EBU signal at full level for the highest resolution you should control the volume via GLM - and you will end up with levels of -30 to -20 dB.

I think it's really worth checking out - in addition you can profit from all of the advantages of the SAM technology and GLM. Doing a measurement at your listening position will make it possible to precisely use the internal DSP-filters to compensate for the influences of your room and the positioning - providing you an even flatter and reliable basis for your listening. All settings can be edited to your needs.

So based on this, it looks like I could give Genelec another shot with the 8330 (or higher), and will definitely enjoy a lower hiss level (via multiple stacking factors) over the 8030c.

Sounds lovely.

Trell

Major Contributor
i think you should just start with those Adams T5V with topping E50 dac = 300 + 250€... They are perfect for gaming, movies and so on if you were to buy 8040 you would gain a bit more and precise low end a more precise mid (this however can be pretty pointless if your room is not acoustically treated ) you will get better depth and better high end (for example vocals on
).

or you could go digital but 8330 costs 750€ per unit and you need GLM kit 600€ new (it adjusts the sound to your room so you get almost perfect response in mid and bass BUT depending on your room glm after bass neutralization can take away all the energy in bass region which you will need to add with external EQ like Eapo which makes it absolutely useless without Notebook/PC) and you still need to feed digital input to speakers so you wont need DAC but you will need something that takes USB and outputs AES. You can get something like this at eshop but it will cost another 200+€.

If i may recommend i would just buy Adam T7V 180€ x 2 = 360€ + Adam T10S (SUB) 430€ you can adjust volume to taste and E50 250€ maybe some cheap diffusers for ceiling and gg... Genelec for TV use is overkill at least to me because you will miss out a lot if you won't listen to Genelecs at near field position...
The GLM Set is 359 Euro on Thomann.de, do far less than 600.

You can also use SPDIF coaxial for digital connection to a Genelec monitor with DSP:

GLM room calibration strives for an even bass at the listening which is done by cutting down the peaks. You can add a bass shelf for a little increase in bass level, which is a user preference.

Last edited:

Haruko

oh thats right you can use +3DB low shelf but that's not enough in my experience, especially when whatching movies and you want that cinema effect when lows are kicking in your chest without the need of sound deafening levels thats as you said a preference thing but glm is perfect imho for mixing mastering not for watching movies or playing games. again my opinion... i dont care since i use PC for both listening to music and watching movies so EAPO is not a problem for me but for some users that just want to watch netflix from tv and use optical out i don't think GLM will sound enjoyable

Trell

Major Contributor
oh thats right you can use +3DB low shelf but that's not enough in my experience, especially when whatching movies and you want that cinema effect when lows are kicking in your chest without the need of sound deafening levels thats as you said a preference thing but glm is perfect imho for mixing mastering not for watching movies or playing games. again my opinion... i dont care since use PC for both listening to music and watching movies so EAPO is not a problem for me but for some users that just want to watch netflix from tv and use optical out i don't think GLM will sound enjoyable

I think that a pair of Genelecs would sound great as TV speakers and even better when using GLM for room correction. Personally I would not use the smallest Genelec monitors for this.

You can have a RME ADI-2 DAC connected and use the dynamic loudness feature for lower level listening and the headphone amp is powerful and noise free. There is even PEQ one can use to reduce a few peaks if one does not have an SAM Genelec monitor.

Last edited:

Haruko

thunder tell me how you decided i am done talking here :D

OP
Thunder

Thunder

thunder tell me how you decided i am done talking here :D
I'm still undecided but I'm more inclined towards getting the 8030 or 8040

Are the 8030C and the 8030 CP the same model?

Trell

Major Contributor

Genelec have several color options for the 8030C and the P after C is for the Anthracite (grey) color and W is for white. Otherwise they are identical.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

I my self wonder wonder how loud and how much bass a tiny 5 inch speaker can have

OP
Thunder

Thunder

Genelec have several color options for the 8030C and the P after C is for the Anthracite (grey) color and W is for white. Otherwise they are identical.
:facepalm: Thanks for the clarification haha

Trell

Major Contributor
:facepalm: Thanks for the clarification haha

Better ask than to be surprised, I'd say. Sometimes you can even see APM where the M stands for magnetic shielding but I don't think they are produced any more but shop pages may not have been updated. This is based upon my ordering the 8330 APM but got the 8330 AP, but is of no importance to me, unless I still had a very old CRT for monitor.

lc155

I wish you could get the black versions readily instead of having to have them custom-made in Finland then shipped out to you. Much better than the standard grey.

Trell

Major Contributor
I wish you could get the black versions readily instead of having to have them custom-made in Finland then shipped out to you. Much better than the standard grey.

Yeah, I think so too.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They look the best in white anyways

littlebitofkindness

Good Day everyone!

I am newish to the Audiophile Scene. I have been using the Swans M50W 2.1 Speaker (For movies) with the Objective DAC and Objective Headphone Amplifier with the AKG K7XX Headphones.

I just blew my budget on a Topping D90SE DAC and Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier only to realize that my current speakers are using RCA and they are unbalanced. I had to spend money to buy connectors and cables to make my own cables because buying them ready made is so expensive!

Can someone point out the kind of speakers that would be great for vocal/pop music? It's going to be a few months before I get there but the destination is worthwhile.

Top Bottom