• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starkrimson® Ultra Amplifier Modules -- 250/500W into 8/4ohm

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Very excited to see your build. I am looking forward to making MonoBlocks out of these boards as you have. Can you please post you impressions about the amps. Is the SS "box" on the side just after the Mains a hum eliminator?
I believe that is an EMI filter.

Zabloc

Very excited to see your build. I am looking forward to making MonoBlocks out of these boards as you have. Can you please post you impressions about the amps. Is the SS "box" on the side just after the Mains a hum eliminator?

Yes, but the line filters go out, I just put them to the test, just to see if I have any differences.
I read some articles from Bruno Putzeys where he says that Hypex power supplies already have a built-in line filter that is sufficient and that he does not put additional filters in its Mola Mola amplifiers. Anyway, fewer parts = better :). I have, above all my equipment, a PSM156 filter from Puritan Audio Labs so I don’t need any extra filtering because this central filter is great and has at least some lightning protection.
The construction of the board is great, very easy to assemble, of course if you have little experience with electronics. The modules heat up a bit, about 60 degrees Celsius and are stable at that temperature. I did not notice that they heat up more than that, but I definitely recommend giving them a little air purely because of these few electrolytic capacitors, they will last longer.

And in terms of performance, let's put it this way, I've had a few amps, DACs and streamers and I've never heard any difference when I change the component before the amp. Now on these new amps I see so much difference between streamers and DACs that I can't believe it.
I’m genuinely thrilled, and at the same time feel like a sheep because I’ve thrown money at “great brand recommendations”.

Best of all, now, after 3 years, for the first time i hear what my R7 speakers really can do. Before buying them i tested/demo them on MOON by Simaudio gear (price range cca 50K EUR) and believe me they didn’t sound this good.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have, above all my equipment, a PSM156 filter from Puritan Audio Labs so I don’t need any extra filtering because this central filter is great and has at least some lightning protection.
So you disagree with this on the PSM156?

Zabloc

So you disagree with this on the PSM156?

I bought this on the recommendation of a friend who works in a studio when I complained to him about the transformer buzzing in my Parasound amplifier which drove me crazy, and I wanted at least some lightning protection that this device supposedly has (gas discharge instead of Metal Oxide varistor).
I looked at the measurements on various sites and came to a similar conclusion that it was a waste of money, but that friend of mine gave me one just to try, and guess what, the buzzing was gone???
And now it's hard for me to say about the sound characteristics, it seems to me, maybe I'm just imagining, that the sound is a bit cleaner.
I was trying to test after a while and every time the equipment was connected to the PSM156 it sounded cleaner to me, it's probably a psychological bias, I don't know. But I will know better in a few weeks because I will lend it to a friend who has valve equipment and has his own equipment problems. I wonder what will he say.

naphta

@Zabloc
Very nice build. Exactly what I want to build in the next weeks. I have the orchard boards allready sitting on my desk but no other parts ordered yet.

Can you give a little more details on on the build and the other parts you used. I see the hypex psu, the softstart-module.
But what case are you using?
And would you recomend the emi filter (as I have no other filters)

PS: I have had different experiences with filters/power supplys. I have a PecanPi powerd by a sbooster linear power supply which increased the performance of the PecanPi a lot. On the other hand I use a single Thel-Audio EMI-Filter for my bottlehead mainline tubeamp. The improvement in sound was little to non audible.

Zabloc

@Zabloc
Very nice build. Exactly what I want to build in the next weeks. I have the orchard boards allready sitting on my desk but no other parts ordered yet.

Can you give a little more details on on the build and the other parts you used. I see the hypex psu, the softstart-module.
But what case are you using?
And would you recomend the emi filter (as I have no other filters)

PS: I have had different experiences with filters/power supplys. I have a PecanPi powerd by a sbooster linear power supply which increased the performance of the PecanPi a lot. On the other hand I use a single Thel-Audio EMI-Filter for my bottlehead mainline tubeamp. The improvement in sound was little to non audible.
Hi,

thank you, but this is just Beta build, I'm working on an upgrade called pimp my amp :)

I will change the Soft Start module, instead of Hypex I will put Intelligent Soft Start from Neurochrome and I'll put a Speaker Protector on the output.
Neurochrome ISS module has the 12V trigger I need, because, I’m too lazy to get up and turn the amplifiers on/off manually. It's true!

If anyone from Europe wants to buy hypex soft start modules i have 2 on sale :)

Cases are purchased at modushop.biz, Galaxy series model 1NGXA288N with accessories 3GXA24803ASOLS and FRONTGXNOHOLES.

I took out the EMI filter, because I didn't hear the any difference at all (I don't have an AP analyzer so I can't do a detailed analysis, so I rely on my hearing :( ), and one component less in the amplifier. As Leo says simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Of course if you have problems with dirty electricity I suggest you put but some EMI filter but don't take those cheap ones for a couple of dollars.
On my old amp I heard a difference but the Starkrimson Ultra is clean with or without a line filter (at least in my apartment).
But it's best to try your self if the filter will help you. I tested it with Schaffner FN 2090-6-06 which is a bit more expensive filter and I didn't hear any difference.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
A Starkrimson Stereo Ultra is on it's way to @SIY for testing.

He previously measured the Starkrimson Mono amps, here is the link to that:

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Pre-production Starkrimson Streamer Ultra unit with rail capacitor upgrade.

Stark_Streamer_Ultra.jpg

Last edited:

David_M

Nice setup. What spec do the extra caps improve? And why are the XLRs inside the chassis and not directly outside it?

Zabloc

And why are the XLRs inside the chassis and not directly outside it?
These XLR connectors inside are from the DAC, he probably left them so he doesn't have to make special PCBs for the DAC in the Starkrimson Ultra Streamer and it doesn't matter that these connectors are there.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
These XLR connectors inside are from the DAC, he probably left them so he doesn't have to make special PCBs for the DAC in the Starkrimson Ultra Streamer and it doesn't matter that these connectors are there.

That is correct. Also the DAC outputs can optionally be routed to the outside, this way you can connect subwoofer or something else if you like.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Leo,
I see in the picture that you doubled the capacity of the capacity bank, what do we get with that?
Did you put it 4x 4700uF per module, probably due to the dimensions of the capacitor?
Improved transient response.

Yes 4 x 4700uF per module.

Last edited:

Zabloc

Isn't he grounding the output of the boards during his tests?
now I asked him a question and he answered:
"Thanks for the great question! No, I only tied them to the 8 0hm load an differential probes to the scope;)"

Top Bottom