• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

I believe this upcoming video confirms that Kali is about to release 2nd generation of their LP-series studio monitors.

Here's spinorama for LP-6 (measured by Amir) and LP-8 (measured by Audioholics):
CEA2034.jpg

CEA2034.jpg

I'm glad to see Kali improving on this design, since they are very affordable studio monitors.

Update 1: They are now officially released. See post #5,6.
Update 2: Erin posted his LP-6v2 review on his website.
Update 3: Erin posted his LP-8v2 review on his website.
Update 4: All 4 speakers compared in size: https://comparesizes.com/comparison/Kali-LP6v2-vs-Kali-LP8v2-vs-Kali-IN5-vs-Kali-IN8v2/1636349417879
Update 5: Lp-6v2 and IN-5 compared https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ve-studio-monitors-released.27557/post-959369 and https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ve-studio-monitors-released.27557/post-960518

Update 6: LP-6v2 and LP-8v2 compared https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ve-studio-monitors-released.27557/post-975327
Update 7: LP-8v2 and IN-8v2 compared https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ve-studio-monitors-released.27557/post-975340

Discuss!

Last edited:

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Beyond the expected major reduction in self noise already incorporated into the IN-5 and IN-8 it will be interesting to see what other improvements have been made to the LP-6 and LP-8 that already measure very well for their price points.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beyond the expected major reduction in self noise already incorporated into the IN-5 and IN-8 it will be interesting to see what other improvements have been made to the LP-6 and LP-8 that already measure very well for their price points.
Yeah it's hard to imagine how they might improve them to be honest. Already bleeding edge in terms of performance and value.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks for the video!
12db noise reduction is great!

Kali updated their website to feature 2nd wave:
Comparing to Gen1:
We see the same crossover and advertised frequency extension.
Kali LP-6 Wave 2 and LP-8 Wave 2 has now 3db more maxSPL than Gen1, but the amplifiers were kept the same. (¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Pricing in USA was unveiled as well:
LP-6 => US$150/ea
LP-6 Wave 2 => US$200/ea (or 33% more expensive)
LP-8 => US$190/ea
LP-8 Wave 2 => US$250/ea (or 31% more expensive)

While in Europe, LP-6 Wave 2 seems to be 46% more expensive than Gen1.

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Another review below

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the video!
12db noise reduction is great!

Kali updated their website to feature 2nd wave:
Comparing to Gen1:
We see the same crossover and advertised frequency extension.
Kali LP-6 Wave 2 and LP-8 Wave 2 has now 3db more maxSPL than Gen1, but the amplifiers were kept the same. (¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Pricing in USA was unveiled as well:
LP-6 => US$150/ea
LP-6 Wave 2 => US$200/ea (or 33% more expensive)
LP-8 => US$190/ea
LP-8 Wave 2 => US$250/ea (or 31% more expensive)

While in Europe, LP-6 Wave 2 seems to be 46% more expensive than Gen1.

Pretty boring update but that's not a bad thing! 12db is a huge drop in noise, that's basically 4x quieter.

Price increase is not surprising but still a great value. Amir needs to measure the LP8 which always struck me as a good living room speaker for lots of people. Just add a Bluetooth DAC and you're in business for very little money.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is hard to find with keywords.

Kali LP-8 V2, Kali LP-8 Second Wave

Kali LP-6 v2, Kali LP-6 Second Wave

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I’ve had this for the past month. Testing is done. Review is ready to go. Just waiting for the embargo to be lifted for the review which is Monday. (Not sure how the other guy got around that; but I’m sure he has privileges since he’s done a lot of reviews for them on opening day :)).

36B22A05-59AA-41D2-8045-7EC220CD5FF4.jpeg

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve had this for the past month. Testing is done. Review is ready to go. Just waiting for the embargo to be lifted for the review which is Monday. (Not sure how the other guy got around that; but I’m sure he has privileges since he’s done a lot of reviews for them on opening day :)).

View attachment 161425
Testing cab resonances? What's the transducer you have taped there?

Newman

Major Contributor
Well they must measure vastly better than the IN-8 then?
1635201796680.png

cheers

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well they must measure vastly better than the IN-8 then?
View attachment 161427

cheers
"EDIT: turns out this sample was physically broken (bad woofer). I purchased one myself and it measured far better. So please ignore this post and jump to: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-monitor-review.10897/page-29#post-318617"

@amirm this is like the third time I've seen someone cite measurements of this broken unit. Consider putting a larger, redder warning around these measurements.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Was that the one where the bass driver was damaged?

Edit: Beaten to the punch line

Reactions: 617

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

More Dynamics Please

In addition to reduced self noise Kali website claims improvements in output level, frequency response (particularly on the top end) and distortion. One physical change noted in the specs is that like the IN-5 and IN-8 the LP-6 and LP-8 bass drivers now feature "optimized paper" cones. The original LP cones appeared to be polypropylene. Independent measurements will tell us how much difference the improvements make.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
My question is, how much better is the IN8 over the LP 8?
I’m assuming Erin has the LP-8 v2 (based on his photo), so once the review is out, we can answer that definitively.

Overall, LP series can’t compete with IN series, which are coaxial 3-way speakers with better vertical directivity. It’s hard to beat Kali IN-8 v2’s. They have amazing performance, beating most speakers at that price point.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The LP8 being classic 2-ways of course will have a discontinuity in their vertical directivity, on the other hand due to their asymmetric waveguide have a higher vertical than horizontal directivity which can be an advantage in some listening constellations, like also the Genelec S360 vs the Ones.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"EDIT: turns out this sample was physically broken (bad woofer). I purchased one myself and it measured far better. So please ignore this post and jump to: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-monitor-review.10897/page-29#post-318617"

@amirm this is like the third time I've seen someone cite measurements of this broken unit. Consider putting a larger, redder warning around these measurements.

Can mods edit posts? EX: Edit this one to include the official Youtube video and summary of points. Edit the IN-8 one to include the updated graphs as the first post. Or maybe it's a feature forums should have but don't yet: A collection of important things at the top that can be updated by mods or people with enough participation so it's easier for people to refer to.

Same thing with titles. Searching for LP-8 V2 didn't pull this up initially (so I created a duplicate thread) but does now since it's been updated. Not every OP does that though.

If it's not in the first post or the last few it might as well not exist. Better to add to the first post than to have it below the fold or pages in or as a second link. The fewer actions the better.

Reactions: 617
Top Bottom