• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does it matter if an amp has a linear power supply vs switching power supply? Starke AD4.320 vs NCore and ICEedge

RoA

After having had two brands of Actives I've gone off Class D and Switching supplies.

Back to linear non Class D and separates. Happy again.

OP
P

paulgyro

After having had two brands of Actives I've gone off Class D and Switching supplies.

Back to linear non Class D and separates. Happy again.
What issues or what didn't you like about the Class D products you tried? Care to share the exact Class D products you were using?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Don't believe everything you read on a manufacturer's website...
Considering Benchmark's products are largely extremely good with regard to mains leakage and power supply hum, I don't think I'm out of line saying that they've put their money where their mouth is.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't speak to theory, but my swap of a linear supply to SMPS for my DIY ClassDAudio SDS-258 amp, (mainly to reduce weight), has been very successful: definitely no degradation in perceived sound quality in and maybe improvement. I don't know about longevity at this point.

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Considering Benchmark's products are largely extremely good with regard to mains leakage and power supply hum, I don't think I'm out of line saying that they've put their money where their mouth is.

Their products are good for sure.

But this display of absolute BS unfortunately is not conducive to furthering their reputation as honest...

1635077135646.png

All of us who have actually looked at, and scope'd the residual distortion from amplifiers made in the last 50 years can confidently say that fake "scope" shot is utter BS. It is, apparently 60dB, or 1000 times the residual, and honestly, even a grossly fugged-up low biased amplifer doesn't come remotely close to that plot Benchmark plaster all over their website.

He (John Siau) was called on it, a few years ago and went to ground with zero evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: pma

pma

Major Contributor

But this display of absolute BS unfortunately is not conducive to furthering their reputation as honest...
Hi John - usual marketing BS. No company is free from this, more or less. Just business. And creating cult.

Abe_W

View attachment 161097

All of us who have actually looked at, and scope'd the residual distortion from amplifiers made in the last 50 years can confidently say that fake "scope" shot is utter BS. It is, apparently 60dB, or 1000 times the residual, and honestly, even a grossly fugged-up low biased amplifer doesn't come remotely close to that plot Benchmark plaster all over their website.

He (John Siau) was called on it, a few years ago and went to ground with zero evidence.
Wowowow... Benchmark is lying to it's teeth!! All ASR purveyors of truth, get mad and BOYCOTT Benchmark.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 161097

If measured at 1 watt, what might be the SINAD of the distortion plot in the lower part of the image?

- Rich

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Somebody here actually switched a supply in their amp from linear to switching and published data. But I can't find it! Anyone?!?

Top Bottom