• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8340

Sprint

Forum Donor
Dear all,

thanks to ASR members that I finally pulled the trigger to go for Genelec 8340 as LCR and 8330 as surround to test in my living room for a hifi set up. Please see attached pictures. I am still awaiting one more 8340 to be delivered (Finnland will take another 4-5 weeks).

I will retain my 2 SVS SB-12 NSD subs and plan to use pre-outs Yamaha RX-V 775 AVR for 2 ch stereo and 5.2 for movies. Movies are getting streamed from Netflix, Disney +, Amazon and Apple movies. I am going away from blu ray due to convinence. For music, I use Apple Music and you tube streaming as they have the largest collections for Indian music which I hear a lot. I hear some western classics and modern pop as well.

Few months ago, I was oscillating between Adam S3V Vs JBL 708. There was a good discussion in this thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...recommendation-adam-s3v-vs-jbl-lsr-708p.9063/.

JBL 708/705 was very promising but I have not heared them and some members have reported quality issues with them. so did not want to take a chance as the current buy would be my close to end of the game speakers. Moreover one of the wholesaler selling both gave a tip to go for Genelec. There was also a studio who tested similar sizes Genelec/ Neumann/ JBL. They preferred Genelec. The link was posted in ASR.

Then I tried Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar to see if I can get an Atmos and avoid cabling. My family did not like Ambeo even though it was Atmos compared to just surround sound from Genelec. Genes sounded more natural in my room. I have also tried KS Digital speakers (C8, C5, A100) in my Room. I could not get C88 for testing which was my preferred. I have Neumann KH 120 and 310 in shops. I could not go for KH 310/420 as they are grey (more industry look) and was considering a more GLM set up than Neumann/DIRAC set up.

I could not go for "The ones" like 8341 as this was getting too expensive. I would have preferred 8350 as LR to be placed next to the side board but they are not available in white and the same for 1032. My listening distance is 3.5 meters and 8350/1032 will be better.

8340/8330 Listening experience: Just one word...excellent...compared to my Yamaha NS 777 floor standers that I had, the mids are very good. I hear many instruments with details and clarity that I was missing in my floor standers.. Movies are sounding superb and the cohesive sound is awesome. All this in my reflective untreated room....What to say....the instruments are sounding as it should sound....I hear the sound of drums as they should. Yamaha was bass heavy and it masked sound of some other instruments and sometimes I could not even hear them.

next step is to look for some treatments (plants/basotect) to reduce echo.

some questions that I have:
  1. Do you all think that these are the end game speakers? Ofcourse, we have the new ones 8351b and 8361 but they will be above my budget also during the next years. Sound and Recording has measurements for 8350 but not for 8340. I assume the measurements for 8340 is as good as 8350.
  2. I am placing the speakers on the low board and tilting / angling up towards upwards so that they are pointing to the ears. I tried to place them on subs so that they gain height but the SQ was more or less same. Wife prefers on low board. When the big screen is pulled down for movies, they seem ok. Any other suggestions?
  3. I run XLR cables all over with an RCA adapter at the AVR side. Do I need a DI box to get a better volume. Direct XLR will have a volume gain for 6 DB. Thomann suggested KLARK active stereo DI box. All AVR with XLR outputs are above 800 Euros. With big purchase on Genelecs, I have to wait another 2-3 years to replace my AVR. any economical option to you see?
  4. Do you have any experience of my AVR for 2 channel Stereo. Do I need a separate DAC (e.g. SMSL or Topping) to get a better 2 channel stereo. In that case, how should I integrate subwoofer for both movies and music. Today I use 2 sub pre-outs from my AVR.
  5. Since I listen to lot of You tube videos, are there any option to improve the compressed music from YouTube? I get ear fatigue when I listen for long time with compressed music. Apple Music is better than you tube but cannot compared to Tidal. Unfortunately, Tidal does not have good collections of Indian music.
  6. After running GLM, I haven't switched off the room correction YPAO from my AVR. I do not know how to switch it off. So, now, both are switched on. One option is to do factory reset of my AVR. But then how do I have bass management as my SVS subs will be used still. Now I have set a crossover of 80 HZ in AVR.
  7. For 2 ch stereo, I am still struggling to get a good integration on bass below 80 HZ with SVS (For movies no issues). For some songs, it does good. For some, not happy. Should I run the front RCA speakers from AVR to SVS subs and do the bass management in subs instead of using Preouts? In that case the RCA for rears and center goes to Genes from AVR and the the front genes get it from SVS. Would this set up work for LFE as well?
  8. Any ideas how I can hide the metallic wall speaker holder and cable tunnel for the rears? (not an appropriate question for ASR but still :))
Sorry for lots of questions..

many thanks for your input and appreciate your help!

Attachments

• IMG_3235.jpg
    IMG_3235.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,188
  • IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,788
  • IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,666
  • IMG_0395 3.jpg
    IMG_0395 3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,308
  • IMG_8503 3.jpg
    IMG_8503 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,403
  • IMG_6686.jpg
    IMG_6686.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,818
  • IMG_7258.jpg
    IMG_7258.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,728
Last edited:

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For a living room setup like that and assuming you have enough clean output... yeah it's probably end game. You might get better performance from narrow dispersion speaker.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
For a living room setup like that and assuming you have enough clean output... yeah it's probably end game. You might get better performance from narrow dispersion speaker.
Thanks! What do you mean by clean output? I was looking at some narrow dispersion speakers like Fohhn Audio, JBL CBT. But they were all more for PA and not for home use. I was also thinking to go DIY like HTM 10's from DIY group. But dropped the idea due to low WAF. At the end settled down at Genelec.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks! What do you mean by clean output? I was looking at some narrow dispersion speakers like Fohhn Audio, JBL CBT. But they were all more for PA and not for home use. I was also thinking to go DIY like HTM 10's from DIY group. But dropped the idea due to low WAF. At the end settled down at Genelec.

Clean output meaning you can listen as loud as you want without noticeable distlrtion. Nice thing about studio monitors like your Genelecs is that you'll see a red warning light before that point.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Any ideas how I can hide the metallic wall speaker holder and cable tunnel for the rears? (not an appropriate question for ASR but still :)

You can try to paint them wall color to help blend them in, but the best way is to run the wires in the walls. I’ve been doing that for my home theater, and cutting drywall, running wires and conduit, all easy. I can’t get an invisible drywall patch to save my life.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
Clean output meaning you can listen as loud as you want without noticeable distlrtion. Nice thing about studio monitors like your Genelecs is that you'll see a red warning light before that point.
Thanks Senior! any help and input on my other questions...sorry for big list of questions.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear all,

thanks to ASR members that I finally pulled the trigger to go for Genelec 8340 as LCR and 8330 as surround to test in my living room for a hifi set up. Please see attached pictures. I am still awaiting one more 8340 to be delivered (Finnland will take another 4-5 weeks).

Nice setup!

1. Do you all think that these are the end game speakers? Ofcourse, we have the new ones 8351b and 8361 but they will be above my budget also during the next years. Sound and Recording has measurements for 8350 but not for 8340. I assume the measurements for 8340 is as good as 8350.
  2. I am placing the speakers on the low board and tilting / angling up towards upwards so that they are pointing to the ears. I tried to place them on subs so that they gain height but the SQ was more or less same. Wife prefers on low board. When the big screen is pulled down for movies, they seem ok. Any other suggestions?
  3. I run XLR cables all over with an RCA adapter at the AVR side. Do I need a DI box to get a better volume. Direct XLR will have a volume gain for 6 DB. Thomann suggested KLARK active stereo DI box. All AVR with XLR outputs are above 800 Euros. With big purchase on Genelecs, I have to wait another 2-3 years to replace my AVR. any economical option to you see?
  4. Do you have any experience of my AVR for 2 channel Stereo. Do I need a separate DAC (e.g. SMSL or Topping) to get a better 2 channel stereo. In that case, how should I integrate subwoofer for both movies and music. Today I use 2 sub pre-outs from my AVR.
  5. Since I listen to lot of You tube videos, are there any option to improve the compressed music from YouTube? I get ear fatigue when I listen for long time with compressed music. Apple Music is better than you tube but cannot compared to Tidal. Unfortunately, Tidal does not have good collections of Indian music.
  6. After running GLM, I haven't switched off the room correction YPAO from my AVR. I do not know how to switch it off. So, now, both are switched on. One option is to do factory reset of my AVR. But then how do I have bass management as my SVS subs will be used still. Now I have set a crossover of 80 HZ in AVR.
  7. For 2 ch stereo, I am still struggling to get a good integration on bass below 80 HZ with SVS (For movies no issues). For some songs, it does good. For some, not happy. Should I run the front RCA speakers from AVR to SVS subs and do the bass management in subs instead of using Preouts? In that case the RCA for rears and center goes to Genes from AVR and the the front genes get it from SVS. Would this set up work for LFE as well?
  8. Any ideas how I can hide the metallic wall speaker holder and cable tunnel for the rears? (not an appropriate question for ASR but still :))

1) I think you're well into diminishing returns. Your next bet for sonic improvement is likely a better SSP, i.e. one with more advanced room correction. Yamaha's is not good.
2) I would recommend a taller cabinet as a potential upgrade, if only to hide the power outlets.
3) If it doesn't get loud enough now. If you get adequate volume now, no need.
4) A separate DAC for 2ch is a waste of money.
5) Unfortunately, none known to me
6) See #1.
7) No. Do you have a measurement microphone?
8) Totally appropriate question. Since it's electrical as well as signal, you'd have to have an electrician (depending on local code and your comfort level with DIY) install a power outlet behind each mount. For signal cable you could just poke holes.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
Nice setup!

1) I think you're well into diminishing returns. Your next bet for sonic improvement is likely a better SSP, i.e. one with more advanced room correction. Yamaha's is not good.
2) I would recommend a taller cabinet as a potential upgrade, if only to hide the power outlets.
3) If it doesn't get loud enough now. If you get adequate volume now, no need.
4) A separate DAC for 2ch is a waste of money.
5) Unfortunately, none known to me
6) See #1.
7) No. Do you have a measurement microphone?
8) Totally appropriate question. Since it's electrical as well as signal, you'd have to have an electrician (depending on local code and your comfort level with DIY) install a power outlet behind each mount. For signal cable you could just poke holes.

Thanks a lot for your help!

1. Which SSP would you recommend that will have advanced room correction than GLM? I brought the GLM kit as well.
3. Volume is adequate for my room. I was only wondering if the DI box gives more SQ.
7. Yes, I do have it from the GLM kit. Should I go for a new UMIK microphone? What would you recommend?

Do you have any other proposal to get a good bass management for 2 ch. For 5.2 Movies - I'm very happy. Even for 5 channel music, the Yamaha Genelec combo does an excellent job. I am so amazed by these speakers with their natural sound and clarity. I am able to hear every instrument in the recording.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot for your help!

1. Which SSP would you recommend that will have advanced room correction than GLM? I brought the GLM kit as well.

I am that familiar with GLM. If GLM calculates based on spatial averages (single point "corrections" are pointless) and will allow you to integrate and equalize non-Genelec subwoofers, then you're likely fine. All of them (except Onkyo) would be an improvement. Marantz 7000-series with the Audyssey App is likely the best value for an SSP with balanced outputs and functional room correction. There's also Anthem with ARC and a bunch of units now with Dirac Live.

3. Volume is adequate for my room. I was only wondering if the DI box gives more SQ.

The opposite is likely true, because introducing more active electronics gives more opportunities for noise and ground loops.

7. Yes, I do have it from the GLM kit. Should I go for a new UMIK microphone? What would you recommend?

I don't know if the GLM microphone is usable outside the GLM system. UMIK is good, now that REW has the timing reference capability.

Do you have any other proposal to get a good bass management for 2 ch. For 5.2 Movies - I'm very happy.

The other thing I guess you could try if you really wanted to is to set the speakers to "large" in your AVR and use a separate box (such as miniDSP 10x10HD) for bass management and correction. That works - I've done it - but adds a layer of complexity and some time to get the gain structures right.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
I am that familiar with GLM. If GLM calculates based on spatial averages (single point "corrections" are pointless) and will allow you to integrate and equalize non-Genelec subwoofers, then you're likely fine. All of them (except Onkyo) would be an improvement. Marantz 7000-series with the Audyssey App is likely the best value for an SSP with balanced outputs and functional room correction. There's also Anthem with ARC and a bunch of units now with Dirac Live.

The opposite is likely true, because introducing more active electronics gives more opportunities for noise and ground loops.

I don't know if the GLM microphone is usable outside the GLM system. UMIK is good, now that REW has the timing reference capability.

The other thing I guess you could try if you really wanted to is to set the speakers to "large" in your AVR and use a separate box (such as miniDSP 10x10HD) for bass management and correction. That works - I've done it - but adds a layer of complexity and some time to get the gain structures right.

1. Yes, GLM does corrections based on multiple listening points. I have not found a pre-pro with XLR outputs that falls under my budget. Another option is use to a high quality Blu Ray player than can produce 5.1 like the ones from Oppo or Panasonic or I guess there is also a Cambridge. But they have only analog outputs. I read in other forums that some use Mac mini with a combination of minidsp. I have only used YPAO of my Yamaha receiver. Do not know how DIRAC and ARC fare in comparison to GLM. Somewhere in German forums, I saw GLM was better than Lyngdorf room correction.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor

@Senior NEET Engineer: I was revisiting my post. I looked in the net for list of narrow dispersion speakers and found this really nice you tube video on narrow dispersion speaker:

Based on this video, Genelec's are coming under narrow dispersion speakers. Or did you mean that I would get better performance from wide dispersion speaker like Revel?

Thanks!

Nehi

Dear all,

I will retain my 2 SVS SB-12 NSD subs and plan to use pre-outs Yamaha RX-V 775 AVR for 2 ch stereo and 5.2 for movies. Movies are getting streamed from Netflix, Disney +, Amazon and Apple movies. I am going away from blu ray due to convinence. For music, I use Apple Music and you tube streaming as they have the largest collections for Indian music which I hear a lot. I hear some western classics and modern pop as well.

Few months ago, I was oscillating between Adam S3V Vs JBL 708. There was a good discussion in this thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...recommendation-adam-s3v-vs-jbl-lsr-708p.9063/.

JBL 708/705 was very promising but I have not heared them and some members have reported quality issues with them. so did not want to take a chance as the current buy would be my close to end of the game speakers. Moreover one of the wholesaler selling both gave a tip to go for Genelec. There was also a studio who tested similar sizes Genelec/ Neumann/ JBL. They preferred Genelec. The link was posted in ASR.

Then I tried Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar to see if I can get an Atmos and avoid cabling. My family did not like Ambeo even though it was Atmos compared to just surround sound from Genelec. Genes sounded more natural in my room. I have also tried KS Digital speakers (C8, C5, A100) in my Room. I could not get C88 for testing which was my preferred. I have Neumann KH 120 and 310 in shops. I could not go for KH 310/420 as they are grey (more industry look) and was considering a more GLM set up than Neumann/DIRAC set up.

I could not go for "The ones" like 8341 as this was getting too expensive. I would have preferred 8350 as LR to be placed next to the side board but they are not available in white and the same for 1032. My listening distance is 3.5 meters and 8350/1032 will be better.

8340/8330 Listening experience: Just one word...excellent...compared to my Yamaha NS 777 floor standers that I had, the mids are very good. I hear many instruments with details and clarity that I was missing in my floor standers.. Movies are sounding superb and the cohesive sound is awesome. All this in my reflective untreated room....What to say....the instruments are sounding as it should sound....I hear the sound of drums as they should. Yamaha was bass heavy and it masked sound of some other instruments and sometimes I could not even hear them.

next step is to look for some treatments (plants/basotect) to reduce echo.

some questions that I have:
Sorry for lots of questions..

many thanks for your input and appreciate your help!
How are you liking your Genelecs? Do you still have them? I got a pair of the 8340s and the 7360 sub and they are far above anything I've tried. I use them for mixing and they humble me every time. Did you get a sub?

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
How are you liking your Genelecs? Do you still have them? I got a pair of the 8340s and the 7360 sub and they are far above anything I've tried. I use them for mixing and they humble me every time. Did you get a sub?
Absolutely...I love them especially since I cannot get a better speaker which occupies less space and is powerful enough sounding great for my living room. These speakers are a gem especially with GLM. I still use my pair of 2 SVS SB-12nsd subs. In a few years, I plan to buy one piece of 7360 to get better bass managed. I would still continue to use SVS together with 7360. After few more years, add one more 7360 and call it as totally end game. Which systems did you have prior to Genelecs? What other system combo have you heard?

Nehi

That's awesome! I've been curious to hear a second opinion. I can confidently say they are the best investment I've made in my studio. I don't know what Voodoo Genelec did with the GLM kit but it most definitely works magic; The stereo imaging is really stellar. I initially thought I would get tired of it but that sub really does make a big difference. I was lucky to get it at a very steep discount. Couldn't be happier. I think you'll enjoy every moment of using it.

I came from using a Neumann KH80 for about a year. I thought it was a great system and I had intentions of building a 5.1 or 7.2 system but I decided to try other systems before I made such a large purchase.

I tested Dynaudio LYD 48, PSI Audio 17, Focal Shape 65, Neumann KH310, Barefoot MM 02 and finally the Genelec 8340 without GLM.

In my very humble opinion, Genelecs had more depth on the mixes with everything. This was without the sub or GLM. PSI came really close but they came off sounding a little surgical. I can imagine they might be very useful for special effects editing.

The Focals did not have the clarity I expected. The Barefoot was really good but I just felt like I could not hear the midrange. Neumann KH310 did not perform better than the KH80 in my opinion.

I happily chose the Genelecs. The 7360 and the GLM kit makes it truly a modern day classic.

I plan on trying out a sub from Kali Audio soon!

Tangband

Major Contributor
That's awesome! I've been curious to hear a second opinion. I can confidently say they are the best investment I've made in my studio. I don't know what Voodoo Genelec did with the GLM kit but it most definitely works magic; The stereo imaging is really stellar. I initially thought I would get tired of it but that sub really does make a big difference. I was lucky to get it at a very steep discount. Couldn't be happier. I think you'll enjoy every moment of using it.

I came from using a Neumann KH80 for about a year. I thought it was a great system and I had intentions of building a 5.1 or 7.2 system but I decided to try other systems before I made such a large purchase.

I tested Dynaudio LYD 48, PSI Audio 17, Focal Shape 65, Neumann KH310, Barefoot MM 02 and finally the Genelec 8340 without GLM.

In my very humble opinion, Genelecs had more depth on the mixes with everything. This was without the sub or GLM. PSI came really close but they came off sounding a little surgical. I can imagine they might be very useful for special effects editing.

The Focals did not have the clarity I expected. The Barefoot was really good but I just felt like I could not hear the midrange. Neumann KH310 did not perform better than the KH80 in my opinion.

I happily chose the Genelecs. The 7360 and the GLM kit makes it truly a modern day classic.

I plan on trying out a sub from Kali Audio soon!
I also have a pair of Genelec 8340 with GLM and after -1 dB shelving from 2,5 kHz to 20 kHz the sound mirrors the absolute best I have heard , period.
The Genelec 7360 is very good to, my brother has two of them after having two SVS and before that, two REL S5.
Integration with the Genelec subs and GLM seems to be the case why they are sounding superior and better than almost everything pared with Genelec monitors.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Absolutely...I love them especially since I cannot get a better speaker which occupies less space and is powerful enough sounding great for my living room. These speakers are a gem especially with GLM. I still use my pair of 2 SVS SB-12nsd subs. In a few years, I plan to buy one piece of 7360 to get better bass managed. I would still continue to use SVS together with 7360. After few more years, add one more 7360 and call it as totally end game. Which systems did you have prior to Genelecs? What other system combo have you heard?
Two Genelec 7350 is also very good sounding, but cant play as loud as 7360. 7350 has GLM, and for half the price it might be more bang for the buck.
If you read the manual for 8340 you can see the maximum spl for two 8340 and depending on the wall material in your flat or house , the room gain are gonna give you very different results. With concrete walls two 7350 might be enough and more balanced with two 8340 regarding max spl.

Nehi

I also have a pair of Genelec 8340 with GLM and after -1 dB shelving from 2,5 kHz to 20 kHz the sound mirrors the absolute best I have heard , period.
The Genelec 7360 is very good to, my brother has two of them after having two SVS and before that, two REL S5.
Integration with the Genelec subs and GLM seems to be the case why they are sounding superior and better than almost everything with Genelec monitors.
Glad to find other happy 8340 users! You're spot on. The engineers at Genelec have a very robust understanding of room acoustics. I watched one of their live streams and I was very impressed. Did you use any other Genelec system before that?

I recently loaned the 8010s from a friend as I wanted something mobile. I calibrated with Sonar Works and boy was I surprised. Excellent performance for a pint size speaker.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Glad to find other happy 8340 users! You're spot on. The engineers at Genelec have a very robust understanding of room acoustics. I watched one of their live streams and I was very impressed. Did you use any other Genelec system before that?

I recently loaned the 8010s from a friend as I wanted something mobile. I calibrated with Sonar Works and boy was I surprised. Excellent performance for a pint size speaker.
I have listened to the older 8040 some years ago and thought it was very good. But I got a bit shocked of the sound improvement the latest generation (83xx) have gained, with better dsp crossovers and superior sounding class D amplifiers. The sound is even cleaner, can play louder and goes deeper in the bass .

Edit: As I wrote erlier, I use GLM with -1 dB shelving from 2,5 kHz to 20 kHz, and also use GLM correction of the three fundamental room resonances below 80 Hz, were I manually have changed the correction to half of the measurement results. When GLM shows -8 dB, I print -4 dB manually. The result is better sound. I also only use shelving filter in GLM in the area of 80-500 Hz, instead of correcting reflections with peq and high Q values.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
The Genelec 8340 improves even further with a digital input. With one less A/D conversion and driving the dsp crossover digitaly, the sound gets a bit more dynamic . If you havent tested it - go for it because it might be beneficial.:)

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
The Genelec 8340 improves even further with a digital input. With one less A/D conversion and driving the dsp crossover digitaly, the sound gets a bit more dynamic . If you havent tested it - go for it because it might be beneficial.:)
I can only agree to that... I have a Raspberry PI with PIcoreplayer feeding via USB to Topping D10s which feeds digital signal SPIDF AES cable to 8340. The resolution compared to analog RCA XLR via my AVR is absolutely stunning taking us to Nirvana. I would highly recommend to try. I stream Qobuz from my IPAD via this set up.

Top Bottom