• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-A8A (Japanese website)

EB1000

Looks like Gene is not very happy to have the truth commented in his face... He didn't forget to mention @amirm as well...
gene.png

tparm

Forum Donor
It appears that way. It's not his job to hold back measurements until Yamaha can fix the problem. I'm sure Yamaha has large engineering teams that can make measurements before it ever leaves prototype stage and fix accordingly, if they feel the need to increase performance.
Measurements are held back here until manufacturers respond. It’s being done currently and Amir says it’s been done regularly in the past. It’s a courtesy.

tparm

Forum Donor
It appears that way. It's not his job to hold back measurements until Yamaha can fix the problem. I'm sure Yamaha has large engineering teams that can make measurements before it ever leaves prototype stage and fix accordingly, if they feel the need to increase performance.

Attachments

• 61D07E13-A72B-470C-9164-9D11036B7012.jpeg
    61D07E13-A72B-470C-9164-9D11036B7012.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 349

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The A6A seem to score 66 to 80dB of SINAD. That's just utter crap for such a high-end AVR.

Would it make much of an audible difference could be a different story though. Some people couldn't tell a difference even with ECO on and still crank the volume up.:D

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SINAD for the A6A @2V pure direct is close to 98dB (approximated as only THD+N % is shown graphically:

This is a unit sent to Gene by Yamaha (he didn't ask for it, according to him). I hope Amir gets his hands on one of these...

Why is this one so much better than the one shown in Gene's video? The bad channels look the same but the one for the better channels look so much better on this one, seems like the decimals were in the wrong place.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why is this one so much better than the one shown in Gene's video? The bad channels look the same but the one for the better channels look so much better on this one, seems like the decimals were in the wrong place.
Yes I noticed that. 10 times worse in the video (for the good channels) compared with that plot. Both seemed straight from the AP measurement. Gene's video was about eco mode, but I doubt that would be the culprit for the pre-outs.

stlcards

If your using amps from the pre-outs do you need to worry about these measurement?
I'm only using the A6A for the front presence.

karyuudo

Gene would rather keep these guys honest and get the product fixed. Let's face it, with pretty much any product hitting the market these days, we're all beta testers.

EB1000

Finally an honest reply from Gene, regarding how terrible the A6A is:

JNMNL52 said:
How is your evaluation of the A6A coming along? Like many in this forum,
I am eagerly waiting to see your assessment before I pull the trigger. Also,
looking at the Onkyo RZ50 and Denon 4700H. Looking for discriminators between all three,
but the A6A looks pretty darn good to me. I know you will call it like you see it
and appreciate the service you provide to the AV community.

This thing is a hot mess RN in how it handles digital fullscale and also the amp distortion.
I'm biding my time publishing configuration set up tips for fellow owners until I can get
some answers from Japan as to if they are working on fixes to what I've found.
I'm not thrilled RN as you could imagine.

I'm glade I canceled my pre-order. I guess I'll wait for Onkyo RZ70 or Denon X4800H

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Gene would rather keep these guys honest and get the product fixed. Let's face it, with pretty much any product hitting the market these days, we're all beta testers.
It's not his job to hold hands with any company and help them fix what should have never made it out of the design phase without a very firm idea of the device's performance specs.

This is Yamaha, not some startup buying Hypex modules and putting them in a chassis for resale.

Last edited:

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Thread Notice: Personal insults will not be tolerated. Insulting posts deleted and reply bans issued. Keep it civil and respectful or find another Forum. Your call! ;)

lewdish

Curious if it measures poorly could you still compensate the A4A / A6A / A8A with DSP, theoretically it should be the the most capable AVR due to the capabilities of the Qualcomm QCS407 SOC~ In terms of the consumer product would it be justified if the overall subjective experience was better than the measurement of it? Currently debating if I should go for the 6700H or the A6A or if I should go for the previous generation 3080. I was recently offered a Yamaha RX-A3080 for like $1k. It seemed like a really good deal given the same DACs as the A6A but for a fraction of the price, the only diff is that there is no measurement data on it, and it lacks the new SOC, in addition the previous generation of YPAO didn't have low frequency mode which all the other major room correction software like Audyssey/Dirac/ARC seem to cover. Should I rip a grand for ASR or go for the other 2?

wseroyer

98dB is good, but some of the other channels have SINAD of 65dB (terrible)
Yamaha will fix it, i'm sure of it, it's not like they are known for releasing poor measuring AVR's and doing nothing about it.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
Hmmmmm I'm not understanding the shade thrown at Gene in this situation. Amir will contact a company if they send him a product. He just doesn't do it if we send him a product

He waited a while to publish the results on the Anthem AVM 70 until they confirmed his results

And he's tried to reach other companies as well and only published if they failed to contact him back. And if I remember right Amir has worked with Monoprice Denon Anthem and Emotiva when they did reach out to him to help resolve issues

Seems like Amir has always tried to be courteous towards companies if they send him the product and contact him back when he reaches out

Sounds like Gene is doing the same thing here really

We want to encourage companies to send in these products we want transperancy

Seems to me if we have reviewers that try to be helpful to the company it will encourage them to be more open with us and keep sending us products which is a win for us audio lovers in my book

Otherwise they'll just ship them out to review sites that will just tell us how warm and liquidy they're Soundstage is and we'll get no real measurements at all unless someone sends one in to Amir on there dime

Ata

Forum Donor
I just picked up an A8A and getting everything hooked up. I noticed that my Apple TV will pass hdr to my television if hooked up directly, but if I pass the signal through the receiver, 4k sd is the best it will do. Is this something that will be fixed by the coming firmware upgrade?

You probably need to configure the AVR to pass enhanced 4K via HDMI, I have seen this on DENON and SONY AVRs in the past. Got bitten by it more than once, thinking my HDMI cables are to blame! This setting is typically available on a per input basis on both AVRs and TVs. Everything in the HDMI chain has to agree to pass/accept 4K Enhanced signal for it to work. No idea why that is there at all other than for power savings.

Technomania

Forum Donor
Otherwise they'll just ship them out to review sites that will just tell us how warm and liquidy they're Soundstage is and we'll get no real measurements at all unless someone sends one in to Amir on there dime
There is a simple solution to this. We can't expect two pro reviewers to inspect every single AVR and AV processor on the market.

AV companies can simply attach a short SINAD report with each unit during initial shipment, just like vendors of better monitors do. They attach a calibration report. If we do not ask for it, we will never get it.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
There is a simple solution to this. We can't expect two pro reviewers to inspect every single AVR and AV processor on the market.

AV companies can simply attach a short SINAD report with each unit during initial shipment, just like vendors of better monitors do. They attach a calibration report. If we do not ask for it, we will never get it.
But wouldn't those reports still need to be verified by an independent reviewer? They could send us anything in that report companies have tried to mislead the consumer before

Top Bottom