• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping A30 and Schiit Magni 3 Headphone Amps

bakker_be

I like the A30 with my Focal Elear and, cosmetics be damned, have just ordered a D10 to "upgrade" from the Cyrus Soundkey I bought during the Kickstarter campaign. I might just be the only person on that campaign whose unit hasn't disintegrated if I'm to believe the comments on there :)
If there's somebody interested I'd be willing to send it to @amirm for measuring after the D10 arrives. It's such a small light unit that shipping it can't be all that expensive ;)

sssn

Why would that be?

As xxie said, it's cheap. Also, very low R&D effort/cost because topology designs for this chip are available everywhere.

Interesting note: the Fiio K5 uses the TPA6120A2 as well, but has a low output impedance. It would be interesting to know how Fiio managed to lower the output impedance without causing problems.

Timbo2

@amirm - I know you've got an iFi Ear Buddy in the queue. It's supposed to present a 2.7 ohm impedance. Seems like this amp would be good case to test that out. It could potentially still make this amp attractive to people with low impedance and sensitive headphones /IEMs. The question would be does it do anything else that is undesirable to the sound.

Veri

Master Contributor
@amirm - I know you've got an iFi Ear Buddy in the queue. It's supposed to present a 2.7 ohm impedance. Seems like this amp would be good case to test that out. It could potentially still make this amp attractive to people with low impedance and sensitive headphones /IEMs. The question would be does it do anything else that is undesirable to the sound.

Someone once told me attenuation in the form of a resistor before the headphone output will alter the frequency response: make the high-end more pronounced. I'm excited to see any measurements on the matter :)!

Timbo2

Someone once told me attenuation in the form of a resistor before the headphone output will alter the frequency response: make the high-end more pronounced. I'm excited to see any measurements on the matter :)!

Speculation is that it is a voltage divider. My weak understanding is that doesn’t change the frequency response.

Hemicrusher

Why? There is absolutely nothing wrong with opamps.

Didn't say there was. I just like amps that are designed without opamps. So, if I say I like vanilla ice cream, don't assume I hate chocolate.

Last edited:

Zilfallion

Just resistors in line will, yes. The Earbuddy attenuates through being a voltage divider instead of just resistance.

And I'll just post https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/ this here. Since it's a DIY voltage divider.

έχω δίκιο

έχω δίκιο

Why are you upset...
Upset? You have a grossly inflated sense of how much your opinion matters to strangers on the Internet. I'm not upset; I'm amused.

...that I like amps without opamps and not saying that I didn't like opamps?
Stop making straw men. I never said you disliked op-amps. I said that you preferred designs without them, something you wrote yourself.

Is that too confusing for you?
You don't need to worry about me keeping up with you.

Hemicrusher

Upset? You have a grossly inflated sense of how much your opinion matters to strangers on the Internet. I'm not upset; I'm amused.

Stop making straw men. I never said you disliked op-amps. I said that you preferred designs without them, something you wrote yourself.

You don't need to worry about me keeping up with you.

Fail.....never said I prefer them.

Saying I like amps without opamps in no way indicates that a prefer them. Now if I would have said, I like amps without opamps better than amps with.....You might have a valid point.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Well, if I’m reading the chip number off this picture:

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...f2f21-a0f3-4110-9a00-d99ad6701f16-jpeg.12641/

At least one stage of the Magni 3 uses a TI TL081 Op Amp.

http://www.ti.com/product/TL081

These are used for DC servo.

And for those that did not know.
Most discrete designs are just op-amp circuits (inverting and non inverting inputs followed by gain stages and output stages) but made with discrete components.

Consider the fact that in opamps exotic components can be made (transistors with multiple emitters etc.) that perform better and are easier to 'match' than discrete components and do not exist in discrete components.

Top Bottom