• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPL Phonitor X *Updated* Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm Did I miss the bit where you declare what the source of the product was?

I sent this unit to @amirm. This was the replacement unit sent directly from SPL’s US distributor for the original I sent earlier this year. Performance is better but not state of the art. Unfortunately, I own Audeze LCD-3 headphones which, it looks like from Amir’s comments, may not be a good match for this unit. Thanks for the excellent review Amir. It is purdy. :)

Martin

Dogen

Forum Donor
Shame...I love the looks and the fact it implements crossfeed. I’d still like to have one, but I don’t want to pay this much for it.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sent this unit to @amirm. This was the replacement unit sent directly from SPL’s US distributor for the original I sent earlier this year. Performance is better but not state of the art. Unfortunately, I own Audeze LCD-3 headphones which, it looks like from Amir’s comments, may not be a good match for this unit. Thanks for the excellent review Amir. It is purdy. :)

Martin
Audeze list the 3 as being 110 ohm, so you should be fine.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
How can you call your product 'Phonitor' if it doesn't have a phono input? :p

Reactions: GDK

Dmitri

Forum Donor

Martin
Thanks for providing for the re-review Martin. It’s a brave soul willing to send in their prized equipment for Amir’s merciless scrutiny. You’re definitely a braver man than I.
I’m going with it will sound great with your Audeze and just being able to look at this beauty will help mitigate any disappointment regarding less than perfect measurements. Those meters have me salivating copiously. ; )

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, they are rather high for a planar magnetic headphone; certainly much higher than Amir’s Dan Clark Audio Stealth (23 ohm) and the highest among the headphones in my detailed subjective review.

Martin
The 2 lowest ones of that 4 might be a challenge, but at least you will know why now if you heard something off.

BostonJack

Editor
Very pretty unit. Outperformed by devices at < 1/10 the price. Geez. are they selling enough to fund a major redesign?
I wonder what kind of volume these guys sell.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the rest. Looking forward to some new charts (if indeed that's the case).

bidn

"Phon" means "Sound" in Greek. They might have wanted to combine Phon with Monitor, however monitor is Latin, so this creates then a "bastard compound", like a few other words mixing up Greek and Latin ( television, automobile).

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
"Phon" means "Sound" in Greek.

I know. But when I saw the name, I assumed it was a phono preamp + headphone amp combo. Just thought that was funny.

Then again, RCA connectors are also sometimes referred to as 'phono plugs', so in that sense it does have a phono input :D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has an RCA input and a switch on the front to go between a/d inputs.

From a features standpoint it's a great unit. I'd like to see slightly better performance for the money though.

Major points for style.

bogart

Forum Donor
A question for the recording engineers in the room: is SPL/Phonitor gear found in many control rooms? I see it is sold through the pro channels, but how likely is it to be found in the wild?

Who would be the usual suspects in real world pro use - Benchmark, Mackie, MOTU?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So how is the crossfeed implementation on this? That's really the killer feature.

I've seen these at shows, but never had enough time to play around with the settings and get a handle on it.

Top Bottom