• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rule, Britannia!, Britannia rule the (sound)waves!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But I will not go now, I wrote a holiday trip to London in the future.When remains to be seen.:)
Don't force me to tell mom that you are not practicing your CarpeDiem... tsk, tsk...
This should be about the best most opportune times to get it off your bucket list, and probably less touristy and cheapest everrrrrrrrr.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Don't force me to tell mom that you are not practicing your CarpeDiem... tsk, tsk...
This should be about the best most opportune times to get it off your bucket list, and probably less touristy and cheapest everrrrrrrrr.
He He. :)

I should not complain, but I do (many others much worse affected by the corona's effects and consequences). I've had enough of sitting and staring at home. Now is the time to burn money instead.

For the past year, I have been buying and selling used amplifiers. Tested and listened to. To be honest, I do not really know if it resulted in anything other than I realized that I have no gold ears. Hard to hear the difference between them. Well, I'm now pretty good at packing cartons with amplifiers. Always something.:)

Edit:
Well, I learned a bit regarding amplifiers. Nice with decent effect and "clean" watts. No revolutionary observation directly.

Harman Kardon HK 670. 2x120 W, 4 Ohm, signal noise 95 dB (could maybe be a little higher if I had to wish, do not know if I would hear any difference, so I do not really know)
HK 670 works anyway ok for me. :) It's as usual, as so many others say. Put the gunpowder on the speakers, the acoustics in the listening room, EQ at least subwoffer frequencies.

A shit load of subwoofers might not be so stupid to have when I think about it.:)
Sprinkle them in the room.....or not. Still have neighbors that I want to have a good relationship with.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor

Rule, Britannia!, Britannia rule the (sound)waves!​

I wish it ruled the airwaves, and pumped the tv shows all over the world.
I'm enjoying that video - 4 minutes in, so far...

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks lads for all the nice suggestions and ideas about your wonderful country. Oh, spiffing! Absolutely spiffing. Well done.Two (what comes next?)

You should be proud of England.
I know I whine in the same way about Sweden, as you do about England (or hifin regarding England) It's like part of a culture to do so but deep down I at least like Sweden. We share that cultural aspect. The whining that is. That's not so strange. We had a fairly large cultural exchange already 1000 years ago (I said diplomatically) and learned from each other.

Well, to finally be able to start traveling again will be nice. BUT I think I make a 360 turn (as the villain in the movie The Last Action Hero said) regarding where to travel first and to begin with, take a turn to the United States. Would be damn interesting to visit on site:

Inspiration for this comes from this thread:

Check out page 32 what Tom Danley writes. I find it very interesting. Unbelievable .

I will also visit England in the future. Why make only one trip when you can make two, or more?:)

Edit:
Peter the manufacturer of this speakers :

Said regarding those who like Hifi, have it as a hobby: What seems to be a common denominator among many is that they share a choleric disposition.

Maybe right, what do I know.:)
I know most DIY people within Hifi. Their common denominator, I think, is more is that they are bat crazy.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^Not only the DIY people.

Loudspeakers, DIY, Swedish...winter... There is one Ingvar on my local av forum, he has his personal thread like a blog. Horns and turntables, and life/work history, mainly audio, including retail and loudspeaker manufacture, but also boats and cattle with long horns. :)

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dutchies rules the EDM soundwaves.
Amsterdam Dance Event. 2:28 Nice light show .

fabius

It‘s probably not somewhere to visit (but who knows!) but I have a subwoofer made by BK Electronics in Southend, not far from London. I’m far from an expert but they seem well thought of.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
It‘s probably not somewhere to visit (but who knows!) but I have a subwoofer made by BK Electronics in Southend, not far from London. I’m far from an expert but they seem well thought of.
BK looks good. No bullshit, straight to the point, subwoofers. As it should be.:) Sensible performance / specs. This model seems to have a good price-performance ratio:

The New and Awesome Monolith Plus -FF Subwoofer 500W RMS (1000W Peak) 12 "Ported Reflex - £ 609.95

Specifications:

System Type: 95 Liter reflex tuned to 20Hz, cabinet manufactured from veneered 25mm MDF and Critically braced

Distortion: 5% 102dB @ 20Hz

Frequency Response at -3dB: 20Hz / In Room at 15Hz

Amplifier Input / Output Impedance: High Level 100K - Low Level 10K - Balanced 10K

Gain Control Range: 80dB

Drive Unit Impedance: 4 Ohm

Mains Input: 230V / 50Hz

Dimensions: 560D X 540H x 420W

Weight: 46.0kg

Is not BK manufacturing subwoofers for REL?

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys, I don't want to make you sad, but Belgium obviously is leading the world.
First we have the best beers.
That should be enough.
But we also have the best fries. And shrimps.

And, remaining in audio, we have kids like Bruno Putzeys (and Jan Didden) coming from here...

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Guys, I don't want to make you sad, but Belgium obviously is leading the world.
First we have the best beers.
That should be enough.
But we also have the best fries. And shrimps.

And, remaining in audio, we have kids like Bruno Putzeys (and Jan Didden) coming from here...
Nice. I have been to Belgium a few times and I like Belgium.:)
I got hell drunk from your monk beer. o_O.. You can not feel the alcohol in them.

But can you go on frozen sea in winter?
Cold, but with nice fresh air ..

vy över hav (1).jpg

Photo taken last winter, from the beach where I live.:)

HiFi from a few different countries. I think it's fun to take part in what others have to say about it and you usually learn something new and interesting.:)

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Speaking of beer from a specific country:

What is the similarity between (beer type from specific country, best not to mention the country) and fucxxxg in a canoe?

Fucxxxg close to water.

Edit:
The joke does not refer to beer from England or Belgium. :)

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
How to start a fight in a British thread. You have the second best beers, I've done the research, extensively. You are miles ahead with the fries, no one else is close.
Yeh, well, maybe, but what about chips.

And what about the rum? I mean when it comes to ruling the waves, the Royal Navy rum rations probably had more to do with it.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Rum..? Although rum comes from ..

Reminds me of:

He he.:D

Okay, a little silly but eh the thread does not have to be stringent..better with free associations. I think, anyway. I think a playful tone fits nice in this thread.:)

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Here I fiddle with some vintage Swedish Hifi. Just some goofy soldering and sound experimentation. Most waffle from my part in that thread, but still.

What does this have to do with British HiFi? Well, I run that witch's brew together with a pair of old British JPW P1. Yummy budget speakers. Now refoamed.:)

Poor JPW P1 who gets that signal. He he.:)

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LS3/5A's were designed to reproduce and magnify distortion and noise/hiss in broadcast programme in outside broadcast vans!!!! They do this incredibly well, but 'accurate' music reproduction wasn't part of their portfolio, although some lovers of this model would disagree vociferously!

When I started in 73-74 in my store, Crown driven big IMF's were the thing and JBL L200's impressed us too (too damned big/wide I suspect, so we settled on L65 Jubals which I liked a lot). Spendor BC1's and frail sibling Rogers LS3/6's were the mid size offering with the KEF 104ab coming up close behind. Older goodies like B&W DM2's were left behind by this time. Gale 401's were way before their time but I'm eternally fond of them when driven right. Not UK, but the AR LST's were incredibly impressive and I'd love to hear some today as they could go close to a long wall and not hugely toed in. Tannoys were incredibly coloured but the 'Ard-Ons' went bloody loud I remember.

All this in the days before the Linn LP12 'fruitbox' turntable bent our ears and tastes and Naim Audio climbed on the back of it, totally destroying the UK high end industry and receptiveness to good things from other countries. I can say that back in hindsight, although some demonstration concepts did actually work well for everybody else (getting rid of comparators, more rigid speaker mounting and one pair of speakers set up in a dem room at any one time). Thank Gawd I had industry and pro friends who did their best to keep me more grounded, although they failed in the early to mid 80's...

I'll crawl back under my stone now... (shuffles off mumbling incoherently...)
My recollection of the British HiFi industry of the late 1970s/early 1980s was divided into two clear camps. The well-engineered exemplified by Quad and KEF, and the fashionable, exemplified by Linn and NAIM. Most manufacturers, which were often small cottage-industries, tried to be identified with one camp or another. (Nytech with the Flat-Earth, A&R Cambridge with the well engineered, as just two examples)

Before then, there were excellent manufacturers like Leak (albeit Harold J Leak wasn't a nice man) and Armstrong, but several others like Ferrograph and Garrard rested on their British Empire laurels too long, didn't put in the investment in design and marketing, and were taken to the cleaners by Japanese manufacturers who made much more attractive products (both looks and price) .

By the late 1980s, and certainly by the late 1990s, it was pretty much all over, those brands that still existed were either foreign owned or with foreign, mostly Asian, manufacturing.

But then the British motor-cycle and car industries went the same way.

S.

Top Bottom