• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Airpulse A100 Review (Powered Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 149 39.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 205 53.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 3.2%

• Total voters

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How can you avoid desk-bounce when using desktop speakers? I always wondered what the best way to do this is.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed that Phil Jones is touted as the speaker designer. He is usually very good.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I noticed that Phil Jones is touted as the speaker designer. He is usually very good.

That'll explain why that woofer looks familiar:

1634653423685.png

Walter

Please go ahead and show us how you can get better with separates.
I'm surprised that you, of all people, would even ask, considering your love of the A130s! While the electronics are all-in-one rather than separates (but are still separate from the speaker), how about JBL Stage A130 for $299 (frequently $179 on sale but not sure about shipping) plus Loxjie A30 for $186 or SMSL AO200 for $280 and speaker cables for $10-$15. So $375-$595 for similar size, power, sub out, and more inputs and what I suspect will be better performance--but without having this exact combination measured, it is impossible to say for sure.

Note: I had that answer ready immediately because this is a combination I am considering strongly for myself.

sgent

Walter

For computer listening, I would go with the Vantoo T0 with EQ for half the price including a true sub crossover. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...anatoo-transparent-zero-speaker-review.13717/ . Distortion is a *small* bit better with these, but the T0 is much easier to EQ due to better directivity.

OTOH you could stuff the ports on these with some socks, and it would probably help immensely.
@amirm has had the Vanatoo Transparent One Encore in the pile of stuff to be reviewed for what seems like forever. Now that the Kanto and this have been reviewed, I'm hoping it is next, or at least coming soon.

Last edited:
@amirm
I had these and I heard a very significant difference in quality in using the built in DAC via usb Vs the xlr inputs.

Could you try this?

Last edited:
@amirm has had the Vanatoo Transparent One Encore in the pile of stuff to be reviewed for what seems like forever. Now that the Kanto and this have been reviewed, I'm hoping it is next, or at least coming soon.
@amirm I was very interested in active monitors with built in usb dacs. The a100 and yamaha nx500 are one of the few that have them with async dacs built in. Vanatoos have a synchronous dac built in but wonder how they compare using usb input!

I have the nx500 which are great but best I heard was a100 via usb but was just to fatiguing to listen to. Maybe coukd have been resolved with eq but at the time id didnt know about eq.

zeppzeppzepp

That'll explain why that woofer looks familiar:

View attachment 160162

And it seems that ends the similarity.
I used AE1 classic (later version with updated tweeters, not original AE1) for years.
AE1 got great, very damped enclosures, great power handling, great punch, and great vocal presentation.
BUT, that's not for every one. This is a real aggressive studio-type sounding speaker.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That connector is so bad. I really don't understand them saving a few cents to use that. crazy. Swan has an much better connector that even has a threaded ring to secure it.
At least use a 270 degree version!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If only the distortion wasn't so high...
BTW, is that really the ancient "DIN" 5-pin socket? (L speaker out)? I thought they were "extinct" in Hi-Fi for decades.
Not extinct, NAIM still use them.

respice finem

Major Contributor
AFAIK also some MIDI devices, but this is outside of the hi-fi consumer "world".

escape2

Does the "sub out" deliver full range signal?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AFAIK also some MIDI devices, but this is outside of the hi-fi consumer "world".
Not some, all MIDI devices. That’s the standard MIDI connecter.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

respice finem

Major Contributor
So my gear must be non-standard, I would need adapters to connect to this. Living in Germany for 16 years now.
That said, I have no MIDI stuff, as a music "consumer". Last time my gear hat these connections, was well before the end of the last millenium.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So my gear must be non-standard, I would need adapters to connect to this. Living in Germany for 16 years now.
That said, I have no MIDI stuff, as a music "consumer".
Not different to XLR to phono connectors… Imagine connecting an XLR output only processor to a phono input only power amplifier. It happens.

Top Bottom