• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectivists vs. Subjectivists - Who's right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiofilet

Subjective-vs-Objective-1.jpg

FLAC vs AAC
Lossless vs Lossy
Joshua vs Zeos
Current Science vs. Experience & Intuitive Perception
Hard testing vs. Acute Audiophile Senses

There are many topics that divide these two groups.

It is my understanding that at the core of it all, the issue lies with one group choosing to approach, interpret and assert claims about audio that the other considers unscientific.

I guess the real question is, how far should we allow graphs, measurements and hard science to dictate the listening experience and how much merit should be attributed to the subjective perception of the individual i.e audiophile?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It is my understanding that at the core of it all, the issue lies with one group choosing to approach, interpret and assert claims about audio that the other considers unscientific.

I wouldn't say unscientific, I'd say unsupported.

One side believes evidence is needed before meaningful discussion can take place. The other doesn't require evidence of any kind...any assertion has as much validity as any other, because evidence doesn't matter.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I prefer to use graphs and measurements to help inform my gear selection. My listening experience is no different from any other audiophiles...I just don't make imaginary claims about what I can and can't hear.

who is Joshua? Joshua Valour? If so, has he changed recently? I don't think he was very much an objectivist when I used to watch his vids...

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I prefer to use graphs and measurements to inform my gear selection. My listening experience is no different from any other audiophiles...I just don't make imaginary claims about what I can and can't hear.
+11515646654654

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess the real question is, how far should we allow graphs, measurements and hard science to dictate the listening experience and how much merit should be attributed to the subjective perception of the individual i.e audiophile?
That depends on how much money you would like to be parted with...

In audiophilia, ignorance is literal biss.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Y'know...it's weird how this debate plays out. Threads like this make it seem like us objectivists have let measurements guide us into listening to a bunch of odd-ball bizarre gear that none of the golden-ears would ever recommend. In reality though, much of the stuff we end up listening to is stuff that's reasonably (or sometimes even VERY) well-reviewed by the general audiophile community. The only difference is that we've focused in on stuff that also measures well and left some other stuff that they love off to the side. It's not like we aren't getting good gear to listen to lol...

JayGilb

Major Contributor
ASR promotes a scientific approach. We understand basic human physiology and know the limits of visual and auditory abilities in humans.
Any claims that fall outside those known parameters require additional data to prove, not the other way around.

Snake oil is rarely ever on sale or offered at a budget price, but a dac with a SINAD of 118 that only costs $299 is very real.
Unfortunately, it's hard to feel special or unique when almost everyone can afford it.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
In a fundamental sense, what "objectivism" is really all about is simply accepting the reality that there are limits to what we humans can accomplish with our natural accoutrements. I accept that there is nothing in audio that my ears can reliably delineate (certainly in the way the usual audiophile listening assessments are done for sure) that won't also show up quite obviously in basic measurements.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You use with you got and carry on. For wonderer already gather data ain't the end of the story. Besides we all like to chit chat a bit call it being social or this place (as a forum) wouldn't exist in the first place.

audio2design

Major Contributor

One side believes evidence is needed before meaningful discussion can take place. The other doesn't require evidence of any kind...any assertion has as much validity as any other, because evidence doesn't matter.

Any reply after this one above is redundant. Just close the thread now and stop wasting everyone's time as the basic premise of the thread has been beaten to death long ago and nothing new was brought to the table except a pretty graphic.

Holmz

Major Contributor
In the pursuit of science, one develops hypothesis that can be tested and shown to comport with reality, or become disproven, or becomes an intermediate step towards advancing a particular field.

Someone who is purely a subjectivist sort, generally admits that they have no footing in science, nor a reason or desire to participate in science.

Therefore a place called Audio SCIENCE Review, should seem to be a somewhat dishonest name if a scientific approach was discarded in favour of legend, lore, mysticism or just plain ol BS.

In fact, that other forum recommended that I come here, if was more prone to be in favour of proof over subjectivism.

OP
A

audiofilet

I wouldn't say that subjectivists don't have evidence of any kind, but rather that the kind of evidence they do offer is simply not accepted by objectivists, namely their own, personal interpretation based on years of experience.

Additionally, one could argue that most of the more reasonable claims, such as the ability to detect an audible difference between lossless and lossy or frequencies slightly below 20hz and above 20khz, are in fact observable, measurable and repeatable.
Simply, because these regular people do not have the time or resources to conduct proper scientific research, doesn't mean that their observations are invalid.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I wouldn't say that subjectivists don't have evidence of any kind, but rather that the kind of evidence they do offer is simply not accepted by objectivists, namely their own, personal interpretation based on years of experience.

That's anecdote. Anecdote isn't evidence. Therein lies the rub.

I'm inclined to close this thread, as it is covered in about a zillion other threads, and is more or less troll-ish, whether intended that way or not. We'll see, but there's not much new under the sun here.

Edit: Raindog stole my line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom