• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

Erici

Forum Donor
At what price does everyone consider the A130 to be a great deal? they are now 200.00 plus tax, free ship.
I'm sure everyone considers that a great deal. But how about 400.00?
I bought my pair for $180 plus tax with free shipping. I haven't seen them listed for less. $200 is a very good value based the measured performance. I like mine a lot!

BrewsBrother

once the ports are sealed this thing has insane headroom, what crossover frequencies are you using on the SVS sub? I found with near-field measurements that after sealing the ports the A130 has an accoustic BW 12db/oct at 100Hz.
The SVS sub crossover is set to 2 clicks above the 80 Hz mark. Due to potentiometer variances, I am not certain what the actual frequency is but at this setting the overlap between the sub and the A130's blends very nicely in my room at the listening position. Amir's Klippel measurements gave me the idea to stuff the ports to mitigate the suspected port / woofer resonance and to my ear improved clarity although without the port extending the low end, the bass response obviously was lacking. Adding the sub and getting it dialed in made me very happy.

I saw your slope (Post #684) after I had done all the above and it was a confirmation for me that my crossover point was about right. Thanks for posting and it is great info for others wanting to try the same.

I should say that the A130's out of the box have a good amount and texture of low end without "plugging and subbing" but IMHO doing so is a definite worthwhile improvement.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The SVS sub crossover is set to 2 clicks above the 80 Hz mark. Due to potentiometer variances, I am not certain what the actual frequency is but at this setting the overlap between the sub and the A130's blends very nicely in my room at the listening position. Amir's Klippel measurements gave me the idea to stuff the ports to mitigate the suspected port / woofer resonance and to my ear improved clarity although without the port extending the low end, the bass response obviously was lacking. Adding the sub and getting it dialed in made me very happy.

I saw your slope (Post #684) after I had done all the above and it was a confirmation for me that my crossover point was about right. Thanks for posting and it is great info for others wanting to try the same.

I should say that the A130's out of the box have a good amount and texture of low end without "plugging and subbing" but IMHO doing so is a definite worthwhile improvement.
Do you have a calibrated microphone?

you can always shove it infront of the subwoofer's dust cap and do the same measurement i did. it would show you the exact frequency and slope.

BrewsBrother

Do you have a calibrated microphone?

you can always shove it infront of the subwoofer's dust cap and do the same measurement i did. it would show you the exact frequency and slope.
I've thought about getting a UMIK-1 and REW but so far I haven't done so. But down the road....it might happen.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
once the ports are sealed this thing has insane headroom, what crossover frequencies are you using on the SVS sub? I found with near-field measurements that after sealing the ports the A130 has an accoustic BW 12db/oct at 100Hz.
What are you stuffing the port with?

BrewsBrother

What are you stuffing the port with?
As Laserjock suggested I used a fairly thick athletic sock (clean of course) rolled up tight to fit snugly in each port.

Geezerman's suggestion reminded me of my mom"s (from Louisianna) Thanksgiving dressings both cornbread and oyster.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
As Laserjock suggested I used a fairly thick athletic sock (clean of course) rolled up tight to fit snugly in each port.

Geezerman's suggestion reminded me of my mom"s (from Louisianna) Thanksgiving dressings both cornbread and oyster.
Curious what the gentleman that measured had used. The density would make a difference, do you end up totally blocked or some venting still?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
i used some left overs Monacor MDM-2 from a different project, I rolled it up very very densly, i would be surprised if there is any air escaping at all.
Cool thank you very much just curious for input before I try. Over the years have used many different materials for damping speakers. Altering ports can be educational. Bundled straws Can have interesting useful. Proac used similar to good effect in their systems. Time to wash my socks lol

Last edited:

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Another question, are you saying that once you limit the low end by stuffing the port you do not notice the tweeter hardness as it gets louder? I haven’t gotten around to try this yet but that’s interesting.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another question, are you saying that once you limit the low end by stuffing the port you do not notice the tweeter hardness as it gets louder? I haven’t gotten around to try this yet but that’s interesting.

I'm not limiting the low end, I have a subwoofer(s). I'm just stopping my speaker from producing distortions via the port and i've figured out the optimal crossover frequency.

As for 'how does it sound with the subwoofers turned off' well it sounds pretty good just no gravitas of sub-bass.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Someone else may have posted this, but in the UK, Richer Sounds now have these for £229pr inc. VAT.

I don't need more 'stuff' but they sure are tempting for a lively but 'clean' sounding little speaker and the balance should be fine for a desktop or close to wall siting ('Wilkinsons' bath Sponge cut in half at the ready to part or fully block the port)...

saulocarvalho83

Hi, could you recommend a "budget" Desktop Power Amp or integrated Amp to run these Speakers?

Thanks!!

Saulo

Top Bottom