• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on power amplifier and upgrade

OP
R

Redan94

I think the first thing you can do, if you have not already, is purchase the audyssey app and change the target curve to your choosing then rerun the audyssey room correction. Like Amir's Harman target curve for example. That should demonstrably improve your sound.

I disagree with the others that more power won't make a difference. More power will give you more woofer travel for your larger drivers in your speakers giving you more sound pressure from your woofers. 60 watts is not enough to get the most from your speaker's woofers.

Here is a good example of how the music and movie sound track really determine the amount of power you need more than the speakers do.

Same speakers, same amplifier. The amount of power used for one song is 10-20watts, the amount of power used for another song is up to 400watts. Because there was much more demand for bass notes. Which includes notes above your subwoofer crossover.

Thanks a lot for the thoughtful response and video. Very insightful. I didn’t know about the Audyssey app either! Can you please send me the link to the Amir’s Harman target curve and how to set it up by any chance? Cheers

OP
R

Redan94

I agree-why heat up the innards of the AVR when you can offload some of the amplification to an outboard amp or 2 or 3? Your AVR will run cooler and potentially last longer. And more power is always safer to speakers if driven hard-many a speaker has been blown by underpowered and overstressed amps/AVRs at high volumes due to distortion.
@Rottmannash @Beershaun which power amplifier and subwoofer would you recommend to add? Is it ok to have two different subwoofers if I keep my KEF one? Thanks

OP
R

Redan94

In order, I'd recommend the following:
1. Audyssey
2. Room treatment
3. Upgraded subs. Rhythmik or Monoprice Monolith, maybe?
4. 2 or 3 channel external amp (not sure what the preamp out options are on this particular AVR).
5. Better speakers

1 & 2 will trequire research and learning but will give the most benefit, especially for music, and possibly for clarity of dialog in movies. 4&5 are almost a tie. You already have plenty of power for 2 channel listening with efficient speakers in a typically sized living room, and I'm not sure how much improvement is really needed for movies when you have powered subs. Your speakers are already good. Not saying they can't be improved, but unless they are just a poor match for your room, it is likely to be a serious case of diminishing returns.
Thank you.

OP
R

Redan94

Just how loud do you listen and how far away is your listening position from the various speakers?
I am 4.3m from the speakers and in a fairly large room. But will be moving soon but I would expect the new room to be large as well.
I don’t listen too loud, say approximately 60dB - 70dB.

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Rottmannash @Beershaun which power amplifier and subwoofer would you recommend to add? Is it ok to have two different subwoofers if I keep my KEF one? Thanks
I think the Buckeye Amps are a great upgrade in power.

Also I am in the process if setting my new HT up and I am likely getting a Monoprice Monolith 3ch amp.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there, @Redan94 ,
Welcome Home.
... I don’t have the option to separate the music dedicated equipment from the movie equipment in separate rooms...
There are a few other peeps w/similar replies here that will help me get on my high-horse and provide the following advice.
Even if it means getting an expensive lawyer (or whatever it may take) >> go for a separation at a minimum, but a full divorce would be more advisable.
You'll thank me within a year!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot for the thoughtful response and video. Very insightful. I didn’t know about the Audyssey app either! Can you please send me the link to the Amir’s Harman target curve and how to set it up by any chance? Cheers
I am not sure the exact slope of the Harman curve. Maybe 1/2db per octave downward slope. Here is Amir's review of the Audyssey room correction and how he used it to set his preference curve. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am 4.3m from the speakers and in a fairly large room. But will be moving soon but I would expect the new room to be large as well.
I don’t listen too loud, say approximately 60dB - 70dB.

Might plug your details into this to get an idea of amp needs http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

I'd probably just use the avr (maybe add a fan to help with cooling for the longevity thing) at least to start, if I ran into audible issues of the amp being limited, then consider an external amp....

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the Buckeye Amps are a great upgrade in power.

Also I am in the process if setting my new HT up and I am likely getting a Monoprice Monolith 3ch amp.
Unfortunately he lives overseas and Buckeye doesn't ship outside the US. There are many multichannel amps one can buy from Europe but I would seriously consider getting a Class D amp due to their light weight, cool temps and energy efficiency. There are several manufacturers of amps that are members here.

OP
R

Redan94

Unfortunately he lives overseas and Buckeye doesn't ship outside the US. There are many multichannel amps one can buy from Europe but I would seriously consider getting a Class D amp due to their light weight, cool temps and energy efficiency. There are several manufacturers of amps that are members here.
Any views on the Audio Control Savoy G4?

OP
R

Redan94

You guys are so helpful. Thanks a lot for the advice. I am moving into a new home soon. I might post the floorplan and where I am thinking to have my home theatert setup as it seems room acoustic is a crucial part of the user experience!

OP
R

Redan94

Hi there, @Redan94 ,
Welcome Home.

There are a few other peeps w/similar replies here that will help me get on my high-horse and provide the following advice.
Even if it means getting an expensive lawyer (or whatever it may take) >> go for a separation at a minimum, but a full divorce would be more advisable.
You'll thank me within a year!
I will post the floor plan of the new home we are moving to and see if there can be a planned and amicable separation :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Like setting $3000 on fire. But it's your money.
I think there should be an ASR "rule" for all members:
DSOP$
(DSOP$ = DON'T SPEND OTHER PEOPLE's MONEY)
This is not directed @MarkS (and/or his reply) but I am using him as the pasta being thrown at the wall to see if it sticks. :rolleyes:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I think there should be an ASR "rule" for all members:
DSOP$
(DSOP$ = DON'T SPEND OTHER PEOPLE's MONEY)
This is not directed @MarkS (and/or his reply) but I am using him as the pasta being thrown at the wall to see if it sticks. :rolleyes:
The OP asked for an opinion on a particular amp. An opinion was given. Can't be anything wrong with that, surely?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The OP asked for an opinion on a particular amp. An opinion was given. Can't be anything wrong with that, surely?
But what about another member who just put down his hard-earned $3K on the C4 (for whatever reason)... or my rich [ummm...] uncle who loves his?
I made the disclaimer that it was NOT direct at him and still isn't but spending other people's money has become a national pre-occupation in US.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How am I spending other people's money? I told the "other people" not to spend money!
While I'm glad to spend other's money if requested, I think general recommendations that meet needs at a lowest price are always a good way to go....far better than the nutsos at the top end of things at least.... :)

OP
R

Redan94

Like setting $3000 on fire. But it's your money.
Why are you making this analogy? Did you try this amplifier or tested it? Which alternative amplifier do you recommend instead? PS: I have no issues spending $3000 on a 7 channel amplifier. Thanks

OP
R

Redan94

While I'm glad to spend other's money if requested, I think general recommendations that meet needs at a lowest price are always a good way to go....far better than the nutsos at the top end of things at least.... :)
Which 7 channel amplifier do you recommend?

Top Bottom