• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Economy Spotify Connect Streaming through a DAC

HillBilly

Hello,
I’m a new member and I just made a donation via PayPal to support a new favorite site. I’m not an ‘audiophile’, however, I have a fondness for vintage gear. After using an old iPad Mini on my Fisher X-202 for Spotify I discovered Spotify Connect which I now connect from my iPhone. I then found I could eliminate the iPad at the stereo by getting a Chromecast Audio. I wanted something that I could “power on and play”. The iPad needed Spotify launched and I preferred not having the iPad sitting on top of / near the Fisher. My plan was then to get a DAC - either a Schiit Modi 3+ or a Topping E30. I then discovered my old Apple TV 3rd generation can AirPlay without having Bluetooth enabled And also has Optical out. Here comes the question… as I plan to stick with iPhones and can use AirPlay for Spotify Connect, would the Apple TV ’better’ than Spotify Connect via Chromecast Audio? I can connect either device to the yet to be purchased DAC by way of optical connections. As I haven even opened the Chromecast Audio I could resell it to pay for the DAC or keep it for use on another system. Sorry if I’ve posted this in the wrong spot. Thanks for this great site.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my old 2ch gear I've used the Chromecast Audio with the built-in dac as well as then experimenting with an external dac (that Schiit Modi 3+ you mention), it made no difference to me in terms of audio quality. Nice thing about the CA unit, it can work either way. Even played around with some active speakers with the CA alone. I also have a couple other systems with avrs with CA units attached (where I do use optical connection), one nice thing about them is I can play them simultaneously, not sure if that's an advantage compared to using Apple stuff, of which I have none.

OP
H

HillBilly

In my old 2ch gear I've used the Chromecast Audio with the built-in dac as well as then experimenting with an external dac (that Schiit Modi 3+ you mention), it made no difference to me in terms of audio quality. Nice thing about the CA unit, it can work either way. Even played around with some active speakers with the CA alone. I also have a couple other systems with avrs with CA units attached (where I do use optical connection), one nice thing about them is I can play them simultaneously, not sure if that's an advantage compared to using Apple stuff, of which I have none.
Thanks for the feed regarding the DAC/noDAC comparison. Plus, with the CA I don’t actually need a DAC as it has the combination 3.5mm/optical out where the ATV has only optical out (for my purpose).

OP
H

HillBilly

Why not just use the Spotify app on the AppleTV?
The Apple TV 3rd generation does not support the Spotify app. it doesn’t even support the App Stor. Stuck with the supplied apps. The plus side is the optical out. The ATVs that support the Spotify app only have HDMI out.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the feed regarding the DAC/noDAC comparison. Plus, with the CA I don’t actually need a DAC as it has the combination 3.5mm/optical out where the ATV has only optical out (for my purpose).

I had to try the external dac thing, but in hindsight probably shouldn't have bought the dac....but it wasn't very expensive and it also permitted me to compare to an optical disc player's dac vs analog out (I perceived no difference there either).

OP
H

HillBilly

Really? I could have sworn I had Spotify on my 3rd gen. ATV ... but apparently not! ;-)
I wouldn’t bet my right hand on it, however, I updated the tvOS and sill no App Store and no onboard Spotify. I’ve also read the same on other forums. Since Spotify Connect uses AirPlay, as long as my iPhone and ATV are on the same Wi-Fi and without any additional steps I can easy connect, it’s a moot point. I have no idea what the Spotify App would add but for my purposes it’s fine. Additionally, I read that if you do use the Spotify app on Apple TV, you have to take steps to get it to launch on startup so it’s ready to be connected, which is doable (I read a thread on it on an Apple forum). With AirPlay it’s ready to go on power up. I would only power on the ATV when needed (using the switched power outlet) and with no monitor connected, so whatever is easiest is my method.

Top Bottom