• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

fidgetymo

When everything is soldered and connected. Then everything is simple:

Thank you very much for the steps. So it looks like essentially 3 clicks then without needing to configure anything specific within the program. I will give it a try!

overherz

done
IMG_20211005_205056.jpg
IMG_20211005_202835.jpg
IMG_20211005_204917.jpg

fidgetymo

When everything is soldered and connected. Then everything is simple:

So I tried to do it tonight and wasn't successful.

STM32CubeProgrammer wouldn't connect to the target. I pressed "connect" many times and It would just remain as "not connected" and I couldn't open a file (the second step).

I followed the connection guide as provided by jdoe.

I tried re-soldering many times to ensure a good connection. Each wire was strongly connected and there didn't appear to be any solder cross-over.

I am not sure at this point what to do. I have ordered a different ST-LINK USB unit to rule out a defective one.

Screenshot 2021-10-05 221748.jpg
Screenshot 2021-10-05 221843.jpg

fidgetymo

does your ST-Link have the latest firmware on board? (ST-LINK FW : V2J38S7)

make the photo clearer​

Thank you very much for your responses. I am at work right now and am not able to update photos or re-verify firmware, however:

scherbakov_al:
I am pretty sure that is the firmware that I have. I did use the firmware upgrade tool within STM32CubeProgrammer to update to the latest firmware a couple times (although I thought the firmware process was a little unclear as to whether it had been upgraded or not - eg: no "success" message.

overherz:
the picture with the labels isn't mine. the other picture, however, I can try to make clearer but might need a macro lens in order to do that. I can tell you that the wiring is correct according to the label picture provided by jdoe. the only unknown is whether my soldering skills are causing the issue lol. however, i tried to re-solder multiple times in order to rule out my soldering quality.

---

a replacement ST-LINK USB is coming tomorrow so at the least, I will try again then.

fidgetymo

a replacement ST-LINK USB is coming tomorrow so at the least, I will try again then.

Well, the replacement ST-LINK USB came and while I got further than before, ultimately I still wasn't able to flash the memory.

With the new ST-LINK USB, I was able to successfully upgrade the firmware on the ST-LINK and then connect to the target (M500) where I wasn't able to before. I can read and save the current memory from the target. However, after I open the appropriate firmware .hex file, when I click "download", STM32CubeProgrammer window just disappears (a supposed crash/close) without any message. I've also tried the "erasing & programming" tab to just program the .hex file and the same crash occurs. I have tried multiple computers and the same thing occurs.

If I can read from the chip, then certainly there isn't a problem with my connection so I shouldn't have to re-solder.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I am stumped.

Thank you very much.
Screenshot 2021-10-07 203735.jpg

fidgetymo

It can be seen that the required firmware file is in your folder, the name of which contains hieroglyphs. Maybe this is driving the program crazy? Try to locate the firmware file simply on your desktop.
Brilliant! The final stumble at the goal now surpassed. Very satisfying :)

Thank you for the spot-on suggestion.

In my attempts to figure it out, I had used the J-Flash program to convert the .hex to .bin and it had thrown up an error that indicated the Chinese characters in the path were a problem and so I had removed them and it worked, but in my tiredness I didn't think that it was the same problem for STM32CubeProgrammer.

So the firmware is updated and the M500 boots without issue. I don't have the tools to measure the correction, so I will have to assume my M500 is no longer affected by the harmonic issue.

I have also left my wiring soldered inside the unit so if we ever get access to an updated firmware, I can easily flash it.

Thank you jdoe, scherbakov_al and overherz.

Screenshot 2021-10-08 085621.jpg

lmellobarbosa

Dear Members,

I've bought my M500 on AliExpress on 29th March, 2021. It's system is the usual SW: 1.7 HW: 1.3 2020-5-30, but IT INCLUDES THE DPLL LINE on Setup Menu.

Is the DPLL option an assurance that I don't have the 3rd harmonic problem?

Thank you so much for your answer!

PaulV

Dear Members,

I've bought my M500 on AliExpress on 29th March, 2021. It's system is the usual SW: 1.7 HW: 1.3 2020-5-30, but IT INCLUDES THE DPLL LINE on Setup Menu.

Is the DPLL option an assurance that I don't have the 3rd harmonic problem?

Thank you so much for your answer!
Most likely no. The problem was revealed only on April 22, and the solution appeared sometime in early June. I had the same firmware with the DPLL option, but I re-flashed my DAC in the above way to eliminate this problem.

fidgetymo

Using Windows 10 - does anyone else's M500 go into mute when their monitor goes to sleep? The M500 is connected via USB but not through the monitor's USB hub. I can't seem to figure out why this happens or how to fix it. This affects multiple audio applications as its a global windows mute that can be witnessed in the system tray showing as muted.

Occasionally, the mute will resolve itself if left for a minute or two following the sleep of the monitor, but the interruption has already happened.

It's pretty annoying since I want to keep listening to music without the monitor needing to be awake and without interruption.

I have tried turning off all USB power saving functions (via power plan options and via device manager's USB hub properties) although it hasn't helped the issue, understandably since it's the monitor going to sleep and not the PC.

I am using the latest XMOS drivers with the latest USB firmware.

I tried a general search online for this issue but could not find something related.

Does anyone know what could be the fix for this? Thank you in advance!

JSmith

Master Contributor
Does anyone know what could be the fix for this?
It is odd... have you run the audio troubleshooter or uninstalled/reinstalled the audio device driver?

JSmith

MalinYamato

Added an IFI amp (Zen Can Singature V2 HFM) to M500, which makes my Sundara sound way better than I expected. After all, M500 ( an excellent dac) is just a DAC with sporadic AMP capabilites that is there until you find an Amp. And yes, I am running Volumio 3 (beta) that now finnlayt is installable on a MVMe... as you know, Volumio 2 can only live on a SSD, HD or Flashj.
setup2.png

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Added an IFI amp (Zen Can Singature V2 HFM) to M500 V2 and makes my Sundara sound way better than I expected. After all, M500 is just a DAC with sporadic AMP capabilites that is there until you find an Amp.
View attachment 159257
I can tell from that stack you dont have a cat!

MalinYamato

I can tell from that stack you dont have a cat!
LOL,,, yea, its a weird stack but I kinda like it -- no animals, no kids and no messy pepple and fyi, I put magic tape with suctions between the dac and amp.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL,,, yea, its a weird stack but I kinda like it -- no animals, no kids and no messy pepple and fyi, I put magic tape with suctions between the dac and amp.
I shall sleep easier tonight.

fidgetymo

It is odd... have you run the audio troubleshooter or uninstalled/reinstalled the audio device driver?
Thank you very much for the suggestion.

I had to reset my bios settings due to an unrelated issue which actually appears to have fixed the issue. So I suspect it had something to do with some power-mode configurations that were causing the issue.

Top Bottom