• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva XMC-2 Review (AV Processor)

Mine is somewhere between the two of yours.

Here is my XMC-2 switching between Xfinity X1, ATV4K gen 2, Panasonic UB-820 Blu-ray, Roku Ultra with Samsung Q90T display output. CEC is disabled everywhere that it can be disabled. You can see when I press the input button as the XMC-2 immediately displays the newly selected HDMI input in the OSD. The switching time seems relatively constant but different for each input.

I haven't timed mine, nor do I regularly switch inputs, but it seems that my XMC-2 takes somewhere between 6-10 seconds to fully switch inputs.

Jbrunwa

I don't see that spinning circle on my RMC-1, is that coming from the XMC-2?

- Rich
I am guessing that is the Q90t TV negotiating with the source. My understanding is that the AVR just passes through the video signal between the input and output channels. Is this true, would it be fair to not count that in the XMC-2 switching time? If so, the XMC-2 switching time is 4-5 seconds, but the time it takes the TV to lock on the video signal differs, Xfinity X1 being the fastest and blu-ray player the slowest, depending on whether it has to first wake up. In general, input switching works well, except for the wake out of standby. I believe there is a bug with the XMC-2 ignoring the change input command, as it always wakes up with the input set to the last used input.

Last edited:

Jbrunwa

No I used the heavy remote that comes with it. I even made a video of it. That is how I can know the time it takes. I sent Emotiva the video but got no reply. I actually listed the unit for sale and hope it does but not much interest so far. Lol.
I am running latest firmware….
man 3 to 4 seconds…… that’s sounds fast…
Even at 14 seconds, I wouldn’t mind if it was testing close to Trinnov and Storm! I thought I could be patient for such sound quality without paying tens of thousands $ more. For a quality that is less than Denon, I wouldn’t have gone for it.
It would be interesting to see your video. I posted our XMC-2 switching inputs in this thread. The longest wait does seem to be what you are seeing (about 13-14 seconds total) to switch to our blu-ray player, but some (e.g. cable TV) switch really fast. If I understand what is happening, our XMC-2 accounts for about 4-5 seconds of the switching time; the TV takes the rest of the time negotiating and locking onto the video signal.

Loron

Forum Donor
It would be interesting to see your video. I posted our XMC-2 switching inputs in this thread. The longest wait does seem to be what you are seeing (about 13-14 seconds total) to switch to our blu-ray player, but some (e.g. cable TV) switch really fast. If I understand what is happening, our XMC-2 accounts for about 4-5 seconds of the switching time; the TV takes the rest of the time negotiating and locking onto the video signal.
I tried to upload but I can’t from my IPad. I will figure out a way.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am guessing that is the Q90t TV negotiating with the source. My understanding is that the AVR just passes through the video signal between the input and output channels. Is this true, would it be fair to not count that in the XMC-2 switching time? If so, the XMC-2 switching time is 4-5 seconds, but the time it takes the TV to lock on the video signal differs, Xfinity X1 being the fastest and blu-ray player the slowest, depending on whether it has to first wake up. In general, input switching works well, except for the wake out of standby. I believe there is a bug with the XMC-2 ignoring the change input command, as it always wakes up with the input set to the last used input.

Switching time is the HDMI handshaking so both source and sink must be taken together.
My switching time is under 10 seconds but faster on the ATV4Kv2 than the TiVo Edge.

- Rich

HSamwel

Switching times is notably slower on 2.3 than on previous firmware.
But almost never gets it wrong anymore. For video anyway..
I had better times and stability on previous firmwares.

I would guess 2-3 seconds just for the RMC-1 to react (updating the display).
This part has been greatly slowed down in 2.3 which feels laggy.
Then the actual switch is ok at about 3-4 seconds.. Video starts..
Then it makes the annoying double audio sync and audio kicks in at about
2-3 seconds. After this 1-2 seconds later it updates its display for the
audio format and mode.
So 8-12 seconds sounds about normal depending on source for a full switch.

So depending on how you measure ”full switch” Emotiva probably is about
2-5 seconds slower than the competition.
But switching times, while irritating if slow, is not the end of the world.
Most do not switch sources over and over.. The main thing is stability.

tparm

Forum Donor
On the switching thing.... I would really recommend using either a Harmony with hub or the app with RMC/XMC connected via Ethernet. I programmed soft keys for preferred listening modes and use the app for alternating between speaker presets and Dirac profiles. It works very well and is much quicker (both to access items you wish to adjust) and responding. The Harmony app is great switching between activities and powers both my rack and TV even though the rack on the side of my room out of line of sight.

Jbrunwa

audio format and mode.

Just to compare, I checked my Denon AVR-X3700H with the same sources. I agree that most do not switch sources over and over, however switching time contributes to the overall user experience. I also agree that stability is more important. I hold out hope for fixes.

Denon AVR-X3700H input switching
Emotiva XMC-2 input switching

Jbrunwa

I tried to upload but I can’t from my IPad. I will figure out a way.
No problem. I did a direct comparison with my Denon and I can confirm the XMC-2 switching time is way longer. I can see how this would be frustrating for many users.

HSamwel

Just to compare, I checked my Denon AVR-X3700H with the same sources. I agree that most do not switch sources over and over, however switching time contributes to the overall user experience. I also agree that stability is more important. I hold out hope for fixes.

Denon AVR-X3700H input switching
Emotiva XMC-2 input switching
I agree.. Speed and GUI (looks) is important for the overall experience.

But Emotiva seems satisfied with how they perform.
They say ”most” owners agree with them. I have met some on the Emotiva lounge.
If you mention the slow UI they think you’re nitpicking.. ”It’s fast enough” you get..

IMO the goal should always be instant switching or anything near..
If a system is speedy and works/looks good.. Many users will ”forget” some small bugs..
In Emotivas case everyone will note every small issue because the overall experience is
so bad.
But it also depends on how you use them. Little switching and mostly using one source
during a session you’ll probably have a great experience with Emotiva due to the SQ.

sealman

Forum Donor

audio format and mode.

Those times seem to mimic what I am getting on my XMC-2. However my recent use of my backup receiver (denon X4000) while only 1080p capable only took about 2 seconds from button press to stable video and audio lock on.

TimoJ

However my recent use of my backup receiver (denon X4000) while only 1080p capable only took about 2 seconds from button press to stable video and audio lock on.
That AVR has "InstaPrevue function". I think it keeps all HDMI connections "active" i.e. there is no handshake etc. needed when a different HDMI source is selected.

Loron

Forum Donor
Agree with you totally. It was also faster for me on previous firmware. The official site says it is faster but my experience is the opposite.
Start up much longer as well as longer switching time.
Sometimes I wonder if they use their products? We know they don’t test them…..

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My hope and dream is that one day manufacturers build such great products that they don't mind then showing measurements for them. Then I can retire for the second time in peace.
I wanted to click on the "Love" button but all I could find was the 'like' button. bum!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The TL&DR version of my post #455 included these:
*When HBIB (IEEE-488) semi-automated most testing, then LabVIEW (MatLAB/VB/dotNET/Python/C# follow-ons) enabled Tesla's true dreams about 'full autonomy' for AP testing! Bamzzz!
*Something similar to such an automated "Test Procedure" would allow @amirm to have more time to do more fun things and just reply with the old military lingo about "RTFM" or "Just press the button".

Loron

Forum Donor
Hello Emotiva!

Have you seen the Anthem review and measurements? Time to wake up!
Looks like a real Surround sound processor can be measured at 0 dBfs! Lol, no -20 dBfs BS! No lies!

I wonder if the AVM90 would measure even better or just offer channels than the AVM70.

That seems to be the best option right now in that price range.
I hope I can sell my XMC-2 soon to get an Anthem….but I am not getting much interest… I wonder why? Lol

I can only imagine pressing the remote to change source and not having to wait 14 seconds…or live that situation again: pressing a button on the remote and then pressing again because I think I probably didn’t press good enough only to get my XMC-2 execute multiple commands 5 seconds later!

Congratulation Anthem for a good quality product that work as it should.

sealman

Forum Donor
Hello Emotiva!

Have you seen the Anthem review and measurements? Time to wake up!
Looks like a real Surround sound processor can be measured at 0 dBfs! Lol, no -20 dBfs BS! No lies!

I wonder if the AVM90 would measure even better or just offer channels than the AVM70.

That seems to be the best option right now in that price range.
I hope I can sell my XMC-2 soon to get an Anthem….but I am not getting much interest… I wonder why? Lol

I can only imagine pressing the remote to change source and not having to wait 14 seconds…or live that situation again: pressing a button on the remote and then pressing again because I think I probably didn’t press good enough only to get my XMC-2 execute multiple commands 5 seconds later!

Congratulation Anthem for a good quality product that work as it should.
14 seconds is 6 to 8 seconds longer than my XMC-2 takes.

Top Bottom