• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

William Shatner goes to space on Blue Origin mission (10/13/21)

Robin L

Master Contributor

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
he's Captain Kirk man, show some respect.

Probably they have found aliens on the far side of the moon, Romulans most likely, and it's been decided he's the best man to deal with them. Give 'em the old Corbomite Manoeuvre.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Star-Trek-red-shirt-william-shatner-1.jpg

Worried about the other three though.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Worried about the other three though.
Yeah. Usually the guy in red didn't make it back in one piece. I think Rand has 'aged' a bit better than the Cap.

OP
Raindog123

Raindog123

Major Contributor

deprogrammed

JSmith

Master Contributor
You couldn't be more wrong IMO... nothing about travelling to space is boring to me.
He's a legend, good on him.

It's amazing Bezos invited him to go at the age of 90! He dead set doesn't look much older than 80 at the most and still speaks very well.

The way that rocket stabilised and landed perfectly was fantastic.

*Shatner voice*… I hope... he enjoyed... the trip.

I've watched the launch, landing and discussion 2 or 3 times now... I was already geeking out in general, space, Shatner etc. But when he described his experience it brought a small tear to my eye too.

I really hope I get to go to space one day myself before I leave this realm. To be able to see the Earth from orbit is a lifelong dream of mine.

JSmith

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Here's what I want to know. His last two albums, on which he talks, not sings, include a bunch of ringers.

In 2020, he came out with The Blues:

the blues.jpg

On this album the following artists play:
  • Brad Paisley
  • Sonny Landreth
  • Ritchie Blackmore
  • Ronnie Earl
  • Pat Travers
  • Jeff "Skunk" Baxter
  • Harvey Mandel
  • Canned Heat
  • Albert Lee
  • Steve Cropper
This year he came out with a new album, Bill.

bill.jpg

On this album the following artists play:
  • Brad Paisley
  • Joe Walsh
  • Robert Randolph & The Family Band
  • Dave Koz
How does he do it? How does he get such artists to play with him? Color me truly baffled.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to know old age and being overweight may not be much of an issue? Lucky f**ker in any case.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Good to know old age and being overweight may not be much of an issue?
Yeah he's still pretty solid huh? Many 90 year olds are thin, near skin and bones.

I think I'm going to go home and watch the original ST movies tonight for nostalgia purposes and to dream of interstellar travel. :D

JSmith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah he's still pretty solid huh? Many 90 year olds are thin, near skin and bones.

I think I'm going to go home and watch the original ST movies tonight for nostalgia purposes and to dream of interstellar travel. :D

JSmith
Was Bezos just using him to sell tix to those who could afford? Bill and I have similar shape and I still do okay generally, but 90 is mind boggling to me at 25 years away. I might need an early ST tv show....the movies, ouch.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Was Bezos just using him to sell tix to those who could afford?
Yeah a lot of people have said this... I'm in two minds about it personally and due to that have no issue.

It's clear that this is marketing, plain and simple... fine, marketing is expected and Shatner is a great drawcard.

On the other side of the coin, I believe Besoz really wanted to give this gift to Shatner, being a ST fan himself. It makes sense from that angle that Besoz didn't just do it for marketing only, but to provide an experience to someone he greatly respects. I think this was evident when he made personal contact with Shatner, took off his sunnies and looked into his eyes. I'm sure Besoz got a little emotional with him as they now had a shared experience.

So in general, I view it as a positive thing and don't mind the marketing really... as once it's affordable I'll definitely be buying a ticket!

The Aussie NASA engineer that went paid for his journey, but wouldn't disclose the amount. I doubt he would have laid down $1M+, so it must have been in the hundreds of thousands. Hopefully in 5 - 10 years the price will be more reasonable.

JSmith

Top Bottom