• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why aren't there more honest and objective reviewers like ASR and Amir?

mick

It seems that the the word idiots have taken over the industry and are making a killing from writing weasel words on a website that don't really tell you anything about a product. Gone are the days of magazines like "Audio" where they would publish part of a schematic or a simplified diagram and attempt to explain the underlying technology before they would test it and then listen to it !!

In defense of publications such as Stereophile, Australian Hifi, Hifi News, where at least they have invested in the appropriate test equipment and do provide measurements or they use an outside independent consultancy firm to do their test and measurements. That's got to count for some sort of credibility these days. Whereas a mag such as TAS does no measurements at all and fills up pages full of audiofool poetry :(

cheers
Now they call them "INFLUENCES".

lemnoc

Now they call them "INFLUENCES".

I mean how can you write a review about an amplifier without at least putting it on the bench and measuring its power with a dummy load ?? What sort of review is that ??? :D LOL

North_Sky

Major Contributor
We need more ultra High end audio salesmen dealers with ultra high end audio scientific measuring gear from their teams of audio engineering inventors/creators/investors programmators ethical departments. ... People with a true honest financial conscience, people of fundamental solidity and value for the dollar versus the performance...objectively, abundantly and subjectively too for a good dose of circus fun.

OP
N

noiseangel

This is a glowing example of why I started this thread.

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/tellurium-q-announces-blue-ii-cable-range

At least they now have the man bits to own up to the fact they haven't tested anything.

"We are told that the Blue II range sees increased asymmetric shielding, multiple new dielectrics (that insulate while improving sound quality), internal structural changes with geometry tweaks along with some conductor changes." Told should have been written "TOLD".

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
This is a glowing example of why I started this thread.

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/tellurium-q-announces-blue-ii-cable-range

At least they now have the man bits to own up to the fact they haven't tested anything.

"We are told that the Blue II range sees increased asymmetric shielding, multiple new dielectrics (that insulate while improving sound quality), internal structural changes with geometry tweaks along with some conductor changes." Told should have been written "TOLD".
or, perhaps, rather than TOLD...
We have read on the internet (so it must be true)...

:cool:

Actually the use of the verb sees (as opposed to, say, has) in the relative clause in that quotation is kind of an interesting choice, as well (now that you mention it).

OP
N

noiseangel

or, perhaps, rather than TOLD...

:cool:

Actually the use of the verb sees (as opposed to, say, has) in the relative clause in that quotation is kind of an interesting choice, as well (now that you mention it).
I didn't realise he gets his mum to disassemble the cables to see what's inside that counts. I bet when she did the soundstage and depth leaked out all over the kitchen counter top. She would have been in a right old state trying to get it back into the cable. "Mum, did you let soundstage out again, these cables sound terrible?"

egellings

Major Contributor
Peter was hated & feared by the subjectivist bunch, and The Absolute Sound and Aczel went 'round & 'round regularly. Aczel might have done well to raise the PH of his rhetoric a bit, though. No need to be excessively combative; just state your case and be done with it. I read his every word! Hork! (About Hork: a shout of derision from a grandpa bullfrog)

OP
N

noiseangel

Peter was hated & feared by the subjectivist bunch, and The Absolute Sound and Aczel went 'round & 'round regularly. Aczel might have done well to raise the PH of his rhetoric a bit, though. No need to be excessively combative; just state your case and be done with it. I read his every word! Hork! (About Hork: a shout of derision from a grandpa bullfrog)
That's because Harry Pearson had an income to protect. Peter didn't. You can see this play out on all the audio magazines/websites. Someone makes a valid comment or criticism and BANG.... you're dead.

That's why we come here. If you monitor other forums you can see the dictatorship taking over comments with people being banned, censored and even threatened with legal action.

cistercian

Forum Donor
I am glad I saw this thread...I was going to start a thread about how lucky we are to have this site. Amir is a treasure
amid a sea of shills and reviewers constrained by financial considerations like keeping advertisers happy.

I enjoy being able to converse with some illustrious members too. There is so much subjective crap out there it
drives me insane when looking for the truth. And this site has it. It is almost comical how some companies are really upping
their game because of it too.

I am just feeling...thankful. Thank you Amir and all who contribute here.

And to answer the original post on why? Money. How boring and typical...oh well.

Colin James Wonfor

Technical Expert
The Wonf
I just wish the reviews would tell the truth on how the company started and not listen to the bloody B.S. Merrigan pumps out.
He is the sod on the left and his friend Lomax the other thief is on the right. I am the ugly one in the middle, just back from my friends funeral.

Attachments

• WG small.JPG
    WG small.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Colin James Wonfor

Technical Expert
The Wonf
Oh the mixer in the centre was one in a scrap yard, I spent hours on it replacing the old LM741 with much better op-amps, and built a PSU for it the other had gone walkies, Lomax told me he used it to record "McFly" and others, and could hear NO hiss from it.

pma

Major Contributor
I just wish the reviews would tell the truth on how the company started and not listed to the bloody B.S. Merrigan pumps out.
He the sod on the left and his friend Lomax the other thief is on the right. I am the ugly one in the middle, just back from my friends funeral.

It looks like speaker wire with high inductance?? (Because the distance between the wires looks quite big)

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The question is less loaded when split into two

1. Why aren't there more honest and objective reviewers?

See above

2. Why aren't there more reviewers like ASR and Amir?

Do you understand how much money, time, effort and knowledge Amir has put into this? I'm not sure everyone does. It's completely bonkers (and gr8 for us). I would guess that the number of people in a position to review like Amir can be counted on the thumbs of one hand.

So yes, of course, some reviewers could be more honest. And perhaps some could strive a bit harder for objectivity, although this is difficult. But being like ASR and Amir is a big ask.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody mention Archimago yet?

wwenze

Major Contributor
It all boils down to money, money here includes time and opportunity cost. And today is 2021, where we have trouble earning enough for retirement.

So the money is funded by either one of two ways:

1) By the consumers. This includes a reviewer who bought the product using his own money and working on unpaid time.

2) By companies.

Right. Now ask the same question about global warming and covid.

Top Bottom