• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir, and thanks also to Anthem for providing the review sample.
I believe its fair to judge them on a different scale due to all the noise and interference going on inside a multich device.
We also have to take into account the actual audibility of some of the measurements being put to the flame.
There's some definite debate on these levels and what can be considered transparent.
Beyond that it's of real value to expect builders to not built to the lowest common denominator, but to put their best engineering foot forward and give the customer the best they can offer at any particular price level.
It does appear that the recent advance of the objective viewpoint has began to affect manufacturers in a positive manner and the customer is beginning to enjoy some better performing products from this..
Peter would be pleased.
Yippee ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I guess we are paying for the fancy front panel display? Is this a good use of our money, especially when many pre-pros are tucked away?
Good question but as they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
It is stuff like this that denotes a luxury product to many.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, have you already reviewed the ARC Anthem provides? If not, may be this is a good opportunity if you haven't already sent the gear back?
Yes, I am going to test ARC when I get time. I have tested it once on the desktop and it worked well (I think it was part of a Paradigm amp).

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any drop in quality in other channels? There's a lot to like here, but a lot to pay for too.

PeteL

Major Contributor
So is it the ampless balanced out AV processor to get? Top measured performance so far no?
Strangely I am trying to find the Emotiva RMC-1 but the review I find don't score as well as the chart in this review suggest?
1634261450975.png

1634261411729.png

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So is it the ampless balanced out AV processor to get? Top measured performance so far no?
Strangely I am trying to find the Emotiva RMC-1 but the review I find don't score as well as the chart in this review suggest?
View attachment 159118
View attachment 159117

You must have missed the update with version 1.9 firmware:

Newman

Major Contributor
Amir @amirm, before you ship it back, what is the serial number of your test sample?

I ask because if I buy one, I don't want earlier SN than your unit. The early adopter owners of this model are sometimes having grief with this or that.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Good to see decent measurements, unfortunately the AVM70, almost after 1 year of release, is still full of bugs and ARC is running in beta. A real shame that almost all latest high end processors get released to the public in these conditions. Basically owners become beta testers.

Newman

Major Contributor

Don't just pick the absolute top one for that reason alone.

Personally I use the guide of "within 5 dB of the top performer", then pick the one with best features and operation for your needs.

Last edited:

BdoUK

Amir, before you ship it back, what is the serial number of your test sample?

I ask because if I buy one, I don't want earlier SN than your unit. The early adopter owners of this model are sometimes having grief with this or that.

I’ve had the AVM70 since late January (first shipment) and have had very few issues. Nearly all have been addressed by the software updates since then.

Subjectively this is a great sounding processor. Recently worked my way through the Harry Potter films and my jaw was on the floor with those DTS:X mixes. I’ve gotten nothing but joy from this processor.

PeteL

Major Contributor
You must have missed the update with version 1.9 firmware:
Thanks, I sometime have difficulties with searching on ASR. In this case even in the review index, for some reason, Emotiva is not showing in the brand roll down menu. I revert to big G for search.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Don't just pick the absolute top one for that reason alone.

Personally I use the guide of "within 5 dB of the top performer", then pick the one with best features and operation for your needs.
I agree, Rephrasing. Is this the one to get? since it’s measures in the top tier, have balanced outputs, for someone that would prefer external amps. How’s the room correction compared to competition?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Good to see decent measurements, unfortunately the AVM70, almost after 1 year of release, is still full of bugs and ARC is running in beta. A real shame that almost all latest high end processors get released to the public in these conditions. Basically owners become beta testers.
Good to know

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve had the AVM70 since late January (first shipment) and have had very few issues. Nearly all have been addressed by the software updates since then.

Subjectively this is a great sounding processor. Recently worked my way through the Harry Potter films and my jaw was on the floor with those DTS:X mixes. I’ve gotten nothing but joy from this processor.
Is ARC working on the AVM70?

tparm

Forum Donor
Amir @amirm, before you ship it back, what is the serial number of your test sample?

Earlier the better, then you know it has the AKM DACs. I pick mine up tomorrow.

tparm

Forum Donor
What bugs are issues with current firmware?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Top Bottom