• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA3s Review (Desktop Amplifier)

DSS

What has that got to do with the Boulder 3050 at £280,000 per side? Which is what was posted/referenced? :)
Absolutely nothing of course. Like comparing those amps with value per watt. As said I find it nonsense.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Absolutely nothing of course. Like comparing those amps with value per watt. As said I find it nonsense.
Which was of course the point. Pretty much the same level of nonsense as comparing them at all. Im pretty certain the original comparison was tounge in cheek. Mine was intended to match.

you know, it is allowed to have fun here as well, I think.

marcom22

For me it's a great work and it sounds much better than many tube amp around.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Here, I gave y'all what you wanted.

Bryston x Benchmark x Topping x 2021
Bryston B63S.png

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Out of topic, but does anyone know sinad numbers for amps in active monitors? For some reason many manufactures are hiding them......for example yamaha hs8. Can't find it. Or neumann, genelec, adam......I assume better sinad more transparent they are.
Ultimately it doesn't matter that much because it's not considered as a separate device from the speaker. Either way, Neumann uses TDA7293 class AB chip amps in their monitors, which are pretty respectable as chip amps go. Genelec uses I believe mostly discrete Class D designs. Yamaha HS8s use LM3886s which are also fine, if nothing special. Adam uses a mix of things.

DSS

Which was of course the point. Pretty much the same level of nonsense as comparing them at all. Im pretty certain the original comparison was tounge in cheek. Mine was intended to match.

you know, it is allowed to have fun here as well, I think.
Fun is good!

islubio

Have gotten the PA3S, E50, L50
So far am pretty satisfied with the purchases beside the limited power on the PA3S.

However I do have a question on the PA3s. Currently I m expiring a weak electrical/ground leak on the PA3s, which is transmitted upstream to my L50/E50 and also my phono amp. (weak electrical feel when touching the body of the PA3s, and also the L50 & E50 when the PA3s is powered up)

Have since added a ground wire from the body of the PA3s to the ground on my power distributer. This solve the weak current feel, however would to check if this is safe?

And yes the manual did state this is normal and within safety regulation, however I do not like the idea of current flowing through my whole system

Last edited:

howard416

Is it possible to bypass the volume control, e.g. for multi-channel setups?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Have gotten the PA3S, E50, L50
So far am pretty satisfied with the purchases beside the limited power on the PA3S.

However I do have a question on the PA3s. Currently I m expiring a weak electrical/ground leak on the PA3s, which is transmitted upstream to my L50/E50 and also my phono amp. (weak electrical feel when touching the body of the PA3s, and also the L50 & E50 when the PA3s is powered up)

Have since added a ground wire from the body of the PA3s to the ground on my power distributer. This solve the weak current feel, however would to check if this is safe?

And yes the manual did state this is normal and within safety regulation, however I do not like the idea of current flowing through my whole system
I'm fairly certain this will be the PWM signal from the power devices capacitively coupling to the metalwork of the case. I've seen similar on other (much higher power) pwm controlled devices. (Variable speed drives for motors).

You can also get similar coupling in the input filter networks (via Y Capacitors in the filter) of much electrical equipment - if it is not earthed like the PA3S. For example my home theatre set up can give a very uncomfortable buzz when disconnecting the aerial wire from the wall. This is due to leakage current from all the connected devices in parallel.

It is safe.

andrewskaterrr

Do you think this would be enough for a desktop monitor setup with Polk R200? (3.8ohm/86dB). My friend is looking at those speakers and needs an amp. I think this would get loud enough for him, but not sure about heat dissipation at that impedance.

milan616

Forum Donor
Do you think this would be enough for a desktop monitor setup with Polk R200? (3.8ohm/86dB). My friend is looking at those speakers and needs an amp. I think this would get loud enough for him, but not sure about heat dissipation at that impedance.

It's more than enough in a desk situation in terms of SPL. He also shouldn't have to worry about heat these chips are quite efficient and are perfectly fine with chassis cooling.

andrewskaterrr

It's more than enough in a desk situation in terms of SPL. He also shouldn't have to worry about heat these chips are quite efficient and are perfectly fine with chassis cooling.
He's going to get it.

So my personal question is if I should swap out my Alesis RA-100 for the PA3S? There is a tiny bit of hum but not a major issue. I have some old 8ohm speakers on it, but I also have the JBL Studio 530s (6ohm) which are a little too tall but I may just deal with. They actually made the RA-100 a touch warm when I tested but not hot. I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade or not. Any thoughts?

andrewskaterrr

I went ahead and ordered the PA3S last night. I’d really like to find a small thin triple shelf that I could put my E30, L30, PA3S in that would get them off of each other. The L30 gets hot and makes the E30 hot, and I don’t really want to put the PA3S under them and make it even hotter. Anyone seen any small shelves besides that somewhat large clear one with tube legs?

Oukkidoukki

What kind of speakers people use with pa3s? Does it get loud enough? How far listening is possible?

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What kind of speakers people use with pa3s? Does it get loud enough? How far listening is possible?
I bought the pa3s from a friend who is going to connect it with the DAC Topping dx30, these speakers are 2-way with a 5 "woofer in br and efficiency of 88db. So he listens at a good volume in a room of medium size.When he receives it, I will be able to review the power.

andrewskaterrr

Attachments

• A8C088FD-B3F9-4A7E-A44E-D18008ADF768.jpeg
    A8C088FD-B3F9-4A7E-A44E-D18008ADF768.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 136
Top Bottom