• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer MQA

nerone

Hello everyone, I tried the Topping E50 MQA, with this dac I like to listen to Tidal master unfortunately for convenience I would like to transmit MQA from the smartphone in wifi.
Any advice is welcome

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
you need to buy an MQA AND Tidal connect capable streamer, something from Bluesound should work, i would contact them first though.

Also prepare for a wave of childish comments bombarding this thread because it has MQA in the title.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone, I tried the Topping E50 MQA, with this dac I like to listen to Tidal master unfortunately for convenience I would like to transmit MQA from the smartphone in wifi.
Any advice is welcome
Advice above is best for current situation. Tidal are working on making their desktop app tidal connect capable so if you are prepared to wait, you could save money buying a streamer and instead use your phone to control tidal on the pc and leave it wired to the dac.

No, I don't know when this will be made available.

OP
N

nerone

Thanks, I listen with my ears and I like what I hear so I don't let myself be influenced.
As a dac I like the E50 and the Node 2 would be great.
Can raspberry act as a mqa streamer for Topping E50?

OP
N

nerone

Advice above is best for current situation. Tidal are working on making their desktop app tidal connect capable so if you are prepared to wait, you could save money buying a streamer and instead use your phone to control tidal on the pc and leave it wired to the dac.

Thanks, Raspberry Is ok?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
your only option is either Roon or MQA + Tidal Connect capable streamer.

Or ditching Tidal and MQA for another service like Qobuz, and Apple Music.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
sorry, you anticipated me in the answer
If it's control of playback via phone rather than cutting out the pc from the chain entirely, a really low rent solution is either the RDS app on your phone or a wireless keyboard acting as a remote control for pc. The multimedia controls will let you skip tracks etc easily. If hifi and pc is near a TV, plug the pc hdmi into spare slot on TV and you can then see the screen across the room.

G-rig

Just checked the specs for the E50:
USB IN: MQA Full Decoding
COAX/OPT IN: MQA Renderer Decoding

Just wondering why a raspberry pi wouldn't work as a direct streamer, you'd have to use volumio, roon or one of the free alternatives?

I'm currently looking at building one too to replace a Chromecast audio which doesn't do gapless or MQA. There are other HATS (audio add-ons) for RPI like allo digione that give you coax out, but I'd rather keep it simple and use USB.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just checked the specs for the E50:
USB IN: MQA Full Decoding
COAX/OPT IN: MQA Renderer Decoding

Just wondering why a raspberry pi wouldn't work as a direct streamer, you'd have to use volumio, roon or one of the free alternatives?

I'm currently looking at building one too to replace a Chromecast audio which doesn't do gapless or MQA. There are other HATS (audio add-ons) for RPI like allo digione that give you coax out, but I'd rather keep it simple and use USB.

volumio MIGHT work with Tidal connect but nothing else would be bit perfect. since Tidal connect is not a free feature on Volumio i'm not sure if it's worth it to invest in a raspberry pi vs a Bluesound streamer.

G-rig

It's a shame roon is so expensive but you get a lifetime subscription. I wouldn't say they are expensive, I've got the parts coming today for a rpi4, A$100 all up (but have the cable and a phone adaptor already), so can test it out, although don't have a DAC yet (replacing my trusty dacmagic).

OP
N

nerone

Thank you all
I want to pay for Tidal's service but I don't want to pay for Roon.
I got to compare Tidal from Android via App. UAPP in USB to Topping E30 and E50 mqa, I like E50 more that's why I'm looking for a solution that works like Chromecast Audio

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Thank you all
I want to pay for Tidal's service but I don't want to pay for Roon.
I got to compare Tidal from Android via App. UAPP in USB to Topping E30 and E50 mqa, I like E50 more that's why I'm looking for a solution that works like Chromecast Audio
You can stream from your phone to Xiaomi mi box s mqa 24/44.1 or 48khz with mconnect app but not above 48 khz. Even usb out works.

OP
N

nerone

You can stream from your phone to Xiaomi mi box s mqa 24/44.1 or 48khz with mconnect app but not above 48 khz. Even usb out works.
I already do, but when you connect the smartphone in USB to the Topping E50 the music sounds better than Mconnect / Chromecast Audio

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I already do, but when you connect the smartphone in USB to the Topping E50 the music sounds better than Mconnect / Chromecast Audio
The spdif you are using with cca has lower level than usb out it should be the same if you hear in the same level.

G-rig

The Topping unit should confirm the bitrate/kHz as well no?
The Chromecast Audio has been fantastic for years, surprisingly not much of a following and shame it's discontinued. Just annoying no gapless but I'll probably keep it plugged into Optical possibly. I think it's not as useful if you have LDAC but don't prefer bluetooth in general.

Super annoying needing two or three pieces of expensive gear these days, super keen on the RPi4 route.
I was almost keen on the Cambridge CNX V2, 851N, would still need a streamer, and don't do MQA.. useless (and expensive).

Last edited:

G-rig

volumio MIGHT work with Tidal connect but nothing else would be bit perfect. since Tidal connect is not a free feature on Volumio i'm not sure if it's worth it to invest in a raspberry pi vs a Bluesound streamer.
Got the RPi 4 going, the best bang for buck streamer out there.
USB into the DAC (which isn't an MQA one but the uPNP stuff works, as does gapless)

Decided to get the Volumio 15 day trial anyway. Tidal would be a bit useless without it, but fine for own collection as a music player
No luck connecting Qobuz (got the trial too) - don't know if it counts as another device, shouldn't do??

OP
N

nerone

could a mini pc fit?

Top Bottom