• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Soekris dac1421 Multibit DAC

gvl

Major Contributor
One variable is different mains voltage and frequency in the US, I doubt it is the reason for those mains spikes but it is one difference.

mindbomb

If the DAC itself has good linearity, where do all those distortions come from? Analog output stage?
Those distortions are filtered out in the linearity test. To do well on the linearity test here, you have to have good linearity and low random noise afaik.

dc655321

Major Contributor
The line of thought is that the consumer who got a $1000 budget and is looking for an amp/DAC combo unit does not care about $2k+ standalone DACs, but instead if anything better than the dac1421 can be had for those money.
I get that they get compared in this review because they're both multibit, but from a consumer perspective, it's an apples and oranges comparison.

Is @amirm not comparing dac-to-dac here? It's my understanding that is what's presented here.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The line of thought is that the consumer who got a $1000 budget and is looking for an amp/DAC combo unit does not care about $2k+ standalone DACs, but instead if anything better than the dac1421 can be had for those money.
I get that they get compared in this review because they're both multibit, but from a consumer perspective, it's an apples and oranges comparison.
Not really different fruit. I suppose you would like to see everything price matched, but I would like to see everything performance matched. Correlations between price and performance in the hi-fi world are nothing like anything else a consumer would ever think of buying. It reminds me of the $10k toilet seats the US military buys.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is @amirm not comparing dac-to-dac here? It's my understanding that is what's presented here.
Comparing an amp/DAC to a DAC is not a fair comparison just like comparing the amp of a motherboard to an external amp is not a fair comparison, even if they cost the same. They're different categories and should be treated as such.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Comparing an amp/DAC to a DAC is not a fair comparison just like comparing the amp of a motherboard to an external amp is not a fair comparison, even if they cost the same. They're different categories and should be treated as such.

Well, would the DX7S satisfy your requirements? It’s a DAC/amp combo. And it’s priced at around USD$499.

mindbomb

I agree with flipflop in that I think it would have been more relevant to focus on something similarly priced, like the rme adi 2 dac. Although the yggdrasil comparison was also interesting.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
I agree with flipflop in that I think it would have been more relevant to focus on something similarly priced, like the rme adi 2 dac. Although the yggdrasil comparison was also interesting.

LOL, I think the unsaid implication is that the Yggy is not worth $2300 ;)

In fact, IMHO it may not even be worth the price of the Topping DX7S.

flipflop

Well, would the DX7S satisfy your requirements? It’s a DAC/amp combo. And it’s priced at around USD$499.
Yes.
It should be compared to products it's competing with. Otherwise the comparison is of little use if you're trying to make a purchase decision.
Due to the high output impedance of DX7S, I'd rather see it compared to iFi iDSD Black though.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Yes.
It should be compared to products it's competing with. Otherwise the comparison is of little use if you're trying to make a purchase decision.
Due to the high output impedance of DX7S, I'd rather see it compared to iFi iDSD Black though.

Sigh, seems whatever Amir compares to, there will always be someone unhappy :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't have the RME ADI-2 DAC or the iFi iDSD BL anymore. My choice of comparison here was driven by my own interest and that of comments from members. Those comments asked for comparison against Yggdrasil and SMSL SU-8 which is what I did. In the future, post your input as to what devices should be compared. Otherwise, as the ruler of the Kingdom, I reserve the right to make the selection. :D

flipflop

I don't have the RME ADI-2 DAC or the iFi iDSD BL anymore.
Don't you have the measurement data saved? Can't you compare earlier measurements with newer ones?
In the future, post your input as to what devices should be compared.
In addition to what I have already said, I think it's also important that the products you test don't get compared to something that's more expensive. It's not interesting to see a $100 DAC come up short against a $500 DAC or even a $200 one for that matter. Please compare to same price range or cheaper if possible.

gvl

Major Contributor
I don't have the RME ADI-2 DAC or the iFi iDSD BL anymore. My choice of comparison here was driven by my own interest and that of comments from members. Those comments asked for comparison against Yggdrasil and SMSL SU-8 which is what I did. In the future, post your input as to what devices should be compared. Otherwise, as the ruler of the Kingdom, I reserve the right to make the selection. :D

Do you have any Metrum Acoustics DACs in the pipeline? Metrum Amethyst is a close match price and technology wise and would be interesting to see how it stacks up against the dac1421.

flipflop

You've completely missed or are ignoring the important lesson here.
If you shop for components with the understanding that spending more is equivalent to receiving more, you are mistaken (at least).
There is a correlation between quality and price, up to a certain point, if you only look at the best performing products.
Not sure what this has to do with the discussion.

mi-fu

Forum Donor
There is a correlation between quality and price, up to a certain point, if you only look at the best performing products.
Not sure what this has to do with the discussion.

I think the assumed "correlation between price and quality" should not be taken as a given, especially among audio products.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you have any Metrum Acoustics DACs in the pipeline? Metrum Amethyst is a close match price and technology wise and would be interesting to see how it stacks up against the dac1421.
No I don't.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
the dac1541

Don't you think it's a bit cheeky using the model number of arguably the most famous and revered audio D/A converter of yesteryear, the Philips TDA-1541 for your TOTL converter?

1541s1.JPG

At what point will you address, re-assess and correct your specifications to reflect the actual product's S/N? The 1421 is rated at >120dB and the 1541 is rated at >123dB.

1421.JPG
(manufacturer's specs dac1421)

1541.JPG
(manufacturer's specs dac1541)

That would require overall noise levels of <2uV (1421) and less than <1.4uV (1541) with respect to their rated output, would it not?

Clearly, these numbers are an absolute fantasy aren't they?

Last edited:
Top Bottom