• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Diable

I am still having issues with the 1/4" jacks: Ultimately, the required adapter cables will end up being XLRs (in most cases). This adds to the overall cost AND unnecessarily complicates interconnections.
¼ TRS to XLR cables can be found at Amazon and most musical equipment dealers and they don't cost anymore than standard XLR to XLR cables so I don't see how they "increase cost and unnecessarily complicate interconnections".

Diable

Not sure which one to use, please help - :D - :oops: - :rolleyes: - o_O - :facepalm:
Just order two of these cables from Monoprice and you'll be set:

I'm using a pair to connect my D10 Balanced to my SP200 and I haven't had a issue plus they look cool, lol.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I'm using a pair to connect my D10 Balanced to my SP200 and I haven't had a issue plus they look cool, lol.
Sorry, I meant I didn't know which smiley to use for the previous statement I replied to. Wasn't sure if I should laugh, be puzzled, or embarrassed, lol.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yeah those are good cables. My only complaint is they are fat and a bit stiff. Some other cables are rather supple in comparison. But those are fine as I've got lots of them some short and some as long as 50 ft which I use for recordings. For the money hard to beat.

ceausuc

¼ TRS to XLR cables can be found at Amazon and most musical equipment dealers and they don't cost anymore than standard XLR to XLR cables so I don't see how they "increase cost and unnecessarily complicate interconnections".

they increase the cost because most people already have xlr/xlr cables.
now they need to buy new cables trs/xlr for this dac only.

milan616

Forum Donor
they increase the cost because most people already have xlr/xlr cables.
now they need to buy new cables trs/xlr for this dac only.

I'm sorry, but what? People buying a budget, single input DAC are very likely to be first timers jumping into balanced connections. Hardly any of them have XLR cables just laying around.

ceausuc

I'm sorry, but what? People buying a budget, single input DAC are very likely to be first timers jumping into balanced connections. Hardly any of them have XLR cables just laying around.

or many people what want it for a second/third system and have some cables stashed :)
even for beginners it is a bad thing. next year when they will upgrade to a real dac with xlr output this cable will became useless. again a waste of money and copper :)

Walter

Most
or many people what want it for a second/third system and have some cables stashed :)
even for beginners it is a bad thing. next year when they will upgrade to a real dac with xlr output this cable will became useless. again a waste of money and copper :)
Most people don't upgrade their DAC every year, and I fail to see how this is not a "real DAC." If a person does not need multiple inputs, volume control, ADC, etc., there is no reason not to use this with systems costing many thousands of dollars, especially if they have a good preamp.

Edit: Upon rereading this, the tone comes across as more combative than I intended. I simply don't understand why anyone is complaining about TRS inputs on a $139 DAC that could only be sold at this price if they kept using the existing cases, which have no room for XLR connectors. For its target market, I think TRS is fine.

Last edited:

Diable

How is this not a "real dac"?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh come on! At worst someone may have to buy two very inexpensive adapters. Or use those supplied with the DAC.

ceausuc

Most
Most people don't upgrade their DAC every year, and I fail to see how this is not a "real DAC." If a person does not need multiple inputs, volume control, ADC, etc., there is no reason not to use this with systems costing many thousands of dollars, especially if they have a good preamp.

Edit: Upon rereading this, the tone comes across as more combative than I intended. I simply don't understand why anyone is complaining about TRS inputs on a $139 DAC that could only be sold at this price if they kept using the existing cases, which have no room for XLR connectors. For its target market, I think TRS is fine.

I could be wrong.. I don't think it's true. Most people I know do upgrade every year. Some have 2-3 dacs.
On these forums you can see how many people tried at least a few dacs. Dacs are very cheap these days and we like to spend (stupid) money :)
And yes this a very basic dac from witch most will 'upgrade' sooner than later.

As for the 'no room for xlr' excuse... I don't know.
How much do you think would be the price increase for a case that is 10mm taller?

Lupin

As for the 'no room for xlr' excuse... I don't know.
How much do you think would be the price increase for a case that is 10mm taller?
Don't know exact numbers bit I do know at the price this DAC is targeted at / selling for the tooling cost for a whole new chassis that is 10mm taller will substantial.

ceausuc

Don't know exact numbers bit I do know at the price this DAC is targeted at / selling for the tooling cost for a whole new chassis that is 10mm taller will substantial.?
If you don't know the numbers how do you know is 'substantial' ? :)))

ps:
Are you a Topping employee?

kchap

Forum Donor

ps:
You seem to be enjoying yourself. In this thread fighting the terrible wrong of people being forced to spend an extra 10 or 20 dollars on cables. Yet in another thread defending the right of someone to spend more money on the cables than they did on the DAC. Is your tongue sitting in your cheek?

ceausuc

You seem to be enjoying yourself. In this thread fighting the terrible wrong of people being forced to spend an extra 10 or 20 dollars on cables. Yet in another thread defending the right of someone to spend more money on the cables than they did on the DAC. Is your tongue sitting in your cheek?

Think about it...
Here is about people "being forced to spend" and Topping cheating - because that's what it's all about - cheating: they made a 'cheap' dac by putting some of the expense on customers shoulders, at witch point the dac is not that cheap any more!
After that I see posts about how much more would cost a slightly bigger box... I'm not buying that! Sorry!

On the other hand if you want(not forced) to spend 1000$ on cables I don't care... that's not my business. Your money, not mine :)

And YES, I am enjoying myself :)

Lupin

ps:
No I'm not a Topping employee :)

Because I have work experience in another branch that is not audio related but also deals with tooling and such.
So no I don't know the exact numbers on Topping chassis but from my experience I think it's fairly safe to assume that the costs would be quite a substantial amount of the total BoM on a product with a retail price of $139

Personally I don't think it's reasonable and/or realistic to think Topping can push a D10b in an entirely new tooled chassis on the market for $139 and actually make it financially worthwhile for them.

You get a decent feature set in a decent aluminium chassis with great objective measured performance for $139.... something has to give at this price point.

Ingenieur

Think about it...
Here is about people "being forced to spend" and Topping cheating - because that's what it's all about - cheating: they made a 'cheap' dac by putting some of the expense on customers shoulders, at witch point the dac is not that cheap any more!
After that I see posts about how much more would cost a slightly bigger box... I'm not buying that! Sorry!

On the other hand if you want(not forced) to spend 1000$ on cables I don't care... that's not my business. Your money, not mine :)

And YES, I am enjoying myself :)
Utter nonsense.
They did not 'cheat', deceive or trick anyone. One knows what they are buying.
They give you the adapters, so all you need is a cheap set of XLR's, which you would need anyways for ANY balanced connection. If one wants TRS to XLR that is their choice and really none of your concern, but thanks for worrying about my $, lol.

As far as cost, it likely uses the same metal work as the D10s, stamping too.
My guess same packaging also.
It's called 'economy of scale', lol.

I'm actually surprised they supplied the adapters (they likely figured most already had the XLR cables since they bought a balanced DAC). They could have omitted them and still sold it for $139 increasing profit. Doesn't sound like 'cheating' to me?

It is a great product for a great price.
Not sure what you were expecting.

platimn

I got this and used cheap XLR cables from Amazon with the adapters. If you are spending a hundred on DAC and hundreds on cables you probably call yourself an audiophile unironically.

Now the question is how do you switch from USB to optical input? I don't see any buttons on this thing. Never mind, I forgot they were outputs not inputs. Wishful thinking on my part.

gasolin75

How good is it compared to the Topping E30 ?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They sound identical to me.

Top Bottom