• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA9 - Wait and see, or solid buy?

Ears of Tin

I'm not sure that Amazon ratings and questions are entirely complete. I purchased my DA-9 in June on Amazon day at a small discount. It has worked perfectly and I love it. As an Verified Purchaser I got a "can you answer this question" email. Another purchaser had the freeze problem and my response was to return the unit for replacement and I included a link to this thread. Neither the question nor my response appears on the Amazon website.

Poultrygeist

I'm not sure that Amazon ratings and questions are entirely complete. I purchased my DA-9 in June on Amazon day at a small discount. It has worked perfectly and I love it. As an Verified Purchaser I got a "can you answer this question" email. Another purchaser had the freeze problem and my response was to return the unit for replacement and I included a link to this thread. Neither the question nor my response appears on the Amazon website.

I've done dozens of reviews and whether good or bad they are always published. I've answered questions as well but they aren't necessarily visible to me.

Baron

There is a weak high pitch noise around the smsl da9. At the nearfield setup it is quite annoying during pauses. Does anybody has any idea how to eliminate the noise from smsl da9 (may be replace or shield some details)?

fluxcapacitor

There is a weak high pitch noise around the smsl da9. At the nearfield setup it is quite annoying during pauses. Does anybody has any idea how to eliminate the noise from smsl da9 (may be replace or shield some details)?
İt's from led driver.if you decrease led brightness to minimum it will be lesser (in my unit) . i removed power supply of my unit and connected to external / better quality PSU and the noise is eliminated totally in any brightness setting.

sophomore

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and do not have any engineering or technical background and is seeking help before I purchase this DA9 amplifier.

I currently have two sources that will be feeding to the DA9. Source 1 is the SMSL DP5, which I plan to upgrade to Minidsp's SHD (both of these sources has XLR output). Source 2 is the Yamaha RX-779 AV receiver with RCA pre-out.

My plan is to connect both the XLR and RCA to the DA9 at the same time, and depending on the source I am using, I can switch the input on the DA9 by using either the remote or the knob on the amp. But when I asked the sales/customer service at a seller in Taobao.com, I was told that I CANNOT connect both XRL and RCA to the DA9 and I can only pick one. I very am very doubtful on what I was told but since I don't have the DA9, I can't verify this except by asking if someone has done this.

Has anyone connect both XLR and RCA to the DA9 and the same time? If you do, I assume there isn't any problem for doing so? And I guess that you simply switch between XLR and RCA input with either remote or the knob on the panel, is this right?

Also, does anyone have any experience using this amp to drive the LS 5/9 speaker? Even if you don't, how well do you think the DA9 will drive LS5/9 speaker (I have a pair of the LS 5/9 re-make by Bestvox)?

Any input on either or both of these questions above will be appreciated. Thanks!

SOUNDSONIC

You can connect two sources on both XLR and RCA aka balanced and unbalanced inputs on the DA9. But you can only use one at a time by switching the BALANCED and UNBALANCED in the INPUT selections. Hope this helps.....

PS: I once connected the XLR and RCA output of my SU9 to the XLR and RCA inputs of my DA9. And It works....

Last edited:

sophomore

Soundsonic,

Thanks for your confirmation. I will go ahead and order the amp and will comment after receiving and listening to the DA9.

SOUNDSONIC

Has anyone already got the newly launched SU-9n for their DA-9? Read the review of Amirm and it seems to be good.

But I guess its just basically the same as the SU-9 without the negative characters,

I would appreciate if someone who have the two units and share with us if there's a significant difference sonically. Thanks,

asoka

Hi! Anyone know the input voltage for the da9 to reach his 50w? 0.250mv seems to be to low...maybe it is just the minimum sensitivity...but what it is his maximum sensitivity?

UnderPar

Has anyone already got the newly launched SU-9n for their DA-9? Read the review of Amirm and it seems to be good.

But I guess its just basically the same as the SU-9 without the negative characters,

I would appreciate if someone who have the two units and share with us if there's a significant difference sonically. Thanks,
I do plan to also purchase the SU-9n. Hope there's someone in this forum who pulled the trigger on this and post his feedback

mackaxx

I was wondering if anyone here had an issue with a quite loud buzzing when the bluetooth is connected . Have not started to troubleshoot yet but wanted to see if this was prone to interference. I get it with multiple devices connecting. Arrived today from Amazon

Its only present with the bluetooth, no issue with the other inputs

Philong

I'm not actually using the SU-9 for it at the moment, I'm using a Sonocoz but since you get the same power XLR to RCA, one could use RCA for the DA-9 and XLR for for SH-9 since it does matter what power you put in to it. I am trying more of a spread since my monitor is large and setting three on top of each other makes it too tall.

mackaxx

I was wondering if anyone here had an issue with a quite loud buzzing when the bluetooth is connected . Have not started to troubleshoot yet but wanted to see if this was prone to interference. I get it with multiple devices connecting. Arrived today from Amazon

Its only present with the bluetooth, no issue with the other inputs
So to flow on from my own post, I've noticed that the buzz stops when music plays. Its when the bluetooth is idle that it comes through, for instance if I pause things. I think its tolerable but wonder if I'm just a unique little flower with this happening or if its common?

Toku

Major Contributor
So to flow on from my own post, I've noticed that the buzz stops when music plays. Its when the bluetooth is idle that it comes through, for instance if I pause things. I think its tolerable but wonder if I'm just a unique little flower with this happening or if its common?
You will need to try the connection with another Bluetooth device to determine the cause.
If the symptoms disappear at that time, there is a problem with the Bluetooth device you are using, and if the symptoms are the same, there is a problem with the DA-9.
The DA-9 I purchased did not have such symptoms.

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You will need to try the connection with another Bluetooth device to determine the cause.
If the symptoms disappear at that time, there is a problem with the Bluetooth device you are using, and if the symptoms are the same, there is a problem with the DA-9.
The DA-9 I purchased did not have such symptoms.

The DA-9 I owned (past tense, I use an AO200 now), did not have the issues you described. Check your bluetooth device as @Toku suggested. It's always a process of elimination. It's possible that the device sending the bluetooth to the DA-9 is bad, or it could be the DA-9. The only effective test is by trying another bluetooth sending device with your current amplifier. This actually goes for any bluetooth troubleshooting.

Top Bottom