• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta vs KEF R3

Descartes

Major Contributor
So I am looking to upgrade my three front speakers and am wondering what would work best 3 KEF LS50 Meta or 3 KEF R3 all my surround speakers are KEF LS50 first generation.

Also our sofa is only 9 feet away from the front speakers and listen at moderate volume maximum 85db for movies.

Here is a comment I read on What Hi-Fi which I know is not very scientific!
"It looks like the Metamaterial technology really works. These new KEFs sound so much cleaner and more sophisticated than before, particularly at higher frequencies. The Meta make the excellent R3 sound congested and ham-fisted in comparison, and that’s a real shock."

Any recommendations?

Last edited:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I am looking to upgrade my three front speakers and am wondering what would work best 3 KEF LS50 Meta or 3 KEF R3 all my surround speakers are KEF LS50 first generation.

Also our sofa is only 9 feet away from the front speakers and listen at moderate volume maximum 85db for movies.

"It looks like the Metamaterial technology really works. These new KEFs sound so much cleaner and more sophisticated than before, particularly at higher frequencies. The Meta make the excellent R3 sound congested and ham-fisted in comparison, and that’s a real shock."

Any recommendations?
When I auditioned both the LS50 Meta and R3, I much preferred the R3. But with a subwoofer my preference might have been reversed.

I really think you ought to listen to them A-B for yourself.

dfuller

Major Contributor
R3 is noticeably better. That coax design they use doesn't do so hot without a woofer.
LS50 at 86 and 96 dB %THD (0.5% is -50dB; 1% is -40dB; 3% is -30dB)
index.php

Vs Erin's measurements of the R3 (from www.erinsaudiocorner.com )
Kef%20R3%20--%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Kef%20R3%20--%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2896dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Notice that the R3s deal with higher levels better, especially at low frequencies - the LS50 falls apart around 100hz, where the R3 is fine down to about 60hz.

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Any recommendations?

Before anyone can answer that you need to figure out your max SPL C or Z weighted, have you done this? The R3 can play louder than the LS50 for sure but if you don't play beyond the LS50's capability that doesn't really matter. I've had both and I realized I don't listen super loud and prefer the LS50 for its pure point-source presentation. Someone who listens louder than 85db at the listening position may prefer the R3. Subwoofers are more important with the LS50, if you cross them over at 100Hz or so, the distortion won't be much of an issue.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Before anyone can answer that you need to figure out your max SPL C or Z weighted, have you done this? The R3 can play louder than the LS50 for sure but if you don't play beyond the LS50's capability that doesn't really matter. I've had both and I realized I don't listen super loud and prefer the LS50 for its pure point-source presentation. Someone who listens louder than 85db at the listening position may prefer the R3. Subwoofers are more important with the LS50, if you cross them over at 100Hz or so, the distortion won't be much of an issue.
I would keep in mind that 85dB at 2.75m is ballpark 93-94dB/1m, a point at which the LS50s are certainly displeased but the R3s just keep going.

aarons915

Forum Donor
I would keep in mind that 85dB at 2.75m is ballpark 93-94dB/1m, a point at which the LS50s are certainly displeased but the R3s just keep going.

Yes when talking about a single speaker maybe, when talking about 2 or more with subwoofers crossed over around 100Hz they are easily in their comfort zone which is why I said people really need to understand their max SPL requirements before choosing one over the other. In my small room I didn't need the extra SPL capability of the R3 but the better point-source presentation of the LS50 were beneficial.

HooStat

If this is for movies, keep in mind that the center channel has to do more work than any other channel. I would probably choose the R3 simply because it can play louder and more cleanly. The speakers are very similar except that the R3 has the extra woofer to take some pressure off the mid-range. And the LS50 has a more optimized baffle, which I don't think is as important in this specific application.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Thank you all for your comments! As I mentioned the loudest I listen to is about 85db, also all my speakers are crossed over at 100Hz and I have dual subwoofers.

If I go with the R3 I would want to wait until KEF upgrade them with their new meta material technology.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
If you don't want to mess around with subs, get the R3. I have original LS50's. with subs they are drop dead gorgeous. Without subs, not so hot unless almost near field in a small room. Note that integrating subs is not a trivial task.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
If you don't want to mess around with subs, get the R3. I have original LS50's. with subs they are drop dead gorgeous. Without subs, not so hot unless almost near field in a small room. Note that integrating subs is not a trivial task.
I already have two subs and I use my anthem ARC equalization software!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I already have two subs and I use my anthem ARC equalization software!
Then get meta's and set the crossover at 100 to 120 hz. It will sing. Make sure you roll off the mains.

YSC

Major Contributor
Do you have the meta?
I think that's not important, the meta only marginally improved some minor internal reflection issues as far as I read, and the original LS50 was already fantastic speakers with similar limitations to the meta being the bass frequencies, in which you already have the subs to compliment, I would say for the ease of placement, price and look just get the meta

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a rough guess(impossible to be sure without measuring your levels properly) but LS50 Meta should be good to about -20 to -15dB maximum on a calibrated AVR's volume setting with a 100hz crossover (this is 65-70dB average, 85-90dB peaks), with reasonable content(ie not Nolan). Any higher than that, and I would go R3.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Links please! How loud do you listen to?
The link

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
The link
Why do you think the R3 would be better?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My setup is two Metas for the fronts, two OG LS 50's for surrounds crossed over at 100hz to a single SVS SB2000. Like you a small room, and the speakers are 5-6 feet from my listening position. Sound is killer for both stereo music and home theater.

Never heard the R3, and I don't want to Knock them. but the Metas will put out a nearly perfectly radiated sound field in both the horizontal and vertical planes. I think that's especially important in a smaller space. It also means that the Metas would make a better center channel than the R3, b/c they will sound the same place either horizontally or vertically. The alternative is to have a two foot tall vertically placed R3 center channel on the floor (where else could you put it?) beneath your screen. I don't think that would sound very good.

Top Bottom