• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Show me a manual that we have tested these specifications. It is a given that they have tested them. It is like a car manufacturer saying we have driven the car...

A published specification is what the customer should get on his unit -- end-off!
Well, one supposes so. If they didn't, then that certainly would recommend against them. And if they did, then they must know that their amp doesn't attain the performance they have claimed. I continue to state my assumption, until the manufacturer has had a chance to address it, that this example is not faulty.

A company's reputation for veracity is on the line when it comes to published specs, even if regulatory agencies don't care.

I own an SMSL something-or-other "50-watt" amp. But it was under a hundred bucks and had features and form factor I wanted in that situation. I still ended up replacing it--distortion became audible when I tried to turn it up to listenable levels. I think Amir measured it a long time ago and I seem to recall finding it--after the fact, of course--way at the right end of his SINAD chart. SMSL produces some nice stuff, though, so we know they know how, and we have to conclude this was obviously aimed at the "transistor radio" market, not the "hi-fi" market. (I'll avoid the "A" word.)

For $700, though, that excuse doesn't apply.

Rick "using an old Kenwood integrated amp in that spot now" Denney

Last edited:

Universal Cereal Bus

So the millennials and younger are lazy to even set a voltage switch?? Maybe the robots would be asked to feed us in a few years. And to think instead of us as well.
It would do this forum well to extend its mantra about facts and evidence to these nonsense posts making sweeping generalizations about people; you wouldn't make sweeping generalizations about audio gear, would you?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It would do this forum well do extend its mantra about facts and evidence to these nonsense posts making sweeping generalizations about people; you wouldn't make sweeping generalizations about audio gear, would you?
People toss around age insults all the time when it comes to millennials and baby boomers. Apparently each believes the other to be responsible for stuff. It's ridiculous.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And the gen x’ers get ignored as usual :(
Don't feel like the lone ranger. I sit right at the tail end of the Baby Boomers--very little of what gets attributed to boomer applies to me but I don't fit into what followed very well, either.

Rick "too young to be a 60's protester, too happy to be an 80's nihilist" Denney

DanielT

Major Contributor
People toss around age insults all the time when it comes to millennials and baby boomers. Apparently each believes the other to be responsible for stuff. It's ridiculous.
Nothing new in under the sun:

"They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things - and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning - all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything - they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else."

(Aristotle)

Better that young people love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else regarding Hifi. Instead of a lack of interest which I noticed among the young people I know. Please note no generalization, my experiences only.:)

Sorry for the OT.

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Ever thought about, that your piece is broken?

It measures better than what @amirm measured in his review (even today, just few hours ago), so what do you think?? You can check it by comparison of my threads with ASR official review

and I have had it and tested it since January 2021, so who's experience is more relevant re reliability? Time after time the left channel would not start. In hundreds of attempts. So there might be something wrong, or a systematic flaw. What is more relevant, a short time half hour review, or a long term testing? Like car test by 50 km drive or 50 000 km test under various conditions?

A07_10_07_2021.png

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
It measures better than what @amirm measured in his review (even today, just few hours ago), so what do you think?? You can check it by comparison of my threads with ASR official review

and I have had it and tested it since January 2021, so who's experience is more relevant re reliability? Time after time the left channel would not start. In hundreds of attempts. So there might be something wrong, or a systematic flaw. What is more relevant, a short time half hour review, or a long term testing? Like car test by 50 km drive or 50 000 km test under various conditions?

If your car has a square wheel for 50,000km, are you going to assume that all cars have a square wheel? Or are you going to stop driving and get it fixed?

pma

Major Contributor
@pma how about you move your A07 posting to an A07 thread, and we can discuss it there, if you must?
Ask @AdamG247, if need help.

No problem, but there is no MUST to me, I was asked so I replied. And you can see that I reply only sometimes, only in case I find it important. I leave most of reactions unanswered, as I would appreciate qualified discussion rather than answering everything.

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@SIY has measured them.

The full article is here:

He also just received my Starkrimson Ultra stereo amp and will be doing measurements on that.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

View attachment 157728

Its still the test of one piece. To see if it a systematic flaw you need to analyze the problem. Or if you cant do this, you need more pieces. Or do a poll, how much other users have the same problem, at least. Before you come to the strange conclusion to hate all class d chipamps.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Its still the test of one piece. To see if it a systematic flaw you need to analyze the problem. Or if you cant do this, you need more pieces. Or do a poll, how much other users have the same problem, at least. Before you come to the strange conclusion to hate all class d chipamps.
Lets play with the idea, that Amir does a new test and the new amplifier turns out to live up to expectations, the specifications , maybe even better then so. What then? Do you dare to buy one? If one was wrong while another was great. If so, is it a lottery to buy one? You do not know what you are getting?
8fd8e4964c27b8768e1ae0f00b65c5b7.png

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Lets play with the idea, that Amir does a new test and the new amplifier turns out to live up to expectations, the specifications , maybe even better then so. What then? Do you dare to buy one? If one was wrong while another was great. If so, is it a lottery to buy one? You do not know what you are getting?
View attachment 157832

I not talk about the testet amp. You mix things up.

Top Bottom