• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't think so. We've no idea how they've generated that data - other than it doesn't match the product tested.
It doesn't match the product but you are fine with that???

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Don't think so.
It doesn't match the product but you are fine with that???
Not remotely. I was just pointing out that they are not measurements as they had been described.

EDIT - in case it's not clear, I've not been exactly complimentary about this amp since @daniboun first started a thread about it. The test has not changed that. My intent was to suggest that a list of specifications doesn't mean that the manufacturer has actually measured a working device and got good results. It is not evidence that the device tested here was a broken version rather than the design itself being broken.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
6 db down is 100 watts and 9 db down is 70.7 watts if my math is correct.
Would be if volts, - but in power each 3dB is a halving (EDIT: or doubling if +3dB) of power.

dBVolt = 20log10 v1/v2

dBWatt = 10log10 p1/p2

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Page 6 according to specification:
THD + N <0.02% 8 Ω, 20 Hz-20 kHz, -9 dB

I was looking at that too. 0.02% = -74dB. Not really impressive by any standards?

I love the (clever?) wording in the manual:

Class A has been the serious audiophile’s
gold standard for decades. Over the last
several years, some class D amplifiers have
advanced to a level that rival the finest
audiophile amplifiers. This is due to a new
type of class D audio amplifier that utilizes
Gallium Nitride FETs. These amplifiers have
reached the sonic performance of class A.
Gallium Nitride (GaN) is poised to have a
huge impact in the high-end audio world. In
fact, a GaN based amplifier is much more
power-efficient than traditional, MOSFET-
based amplifiers and class D Gallium Nitride
can deliver orders of magnitude better
performance. Performance that to many
listeners, can even surpass class A.

At no point does it say "the Mini GaN 5" or "this amplifier", but people who read the text would be inclined to interpret it like that.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not remotely. I was just pointing out that they are not measurements as they had been described.

EDIT - in case it's not clear, I've not been exactly complimentary about this amp since @daniboun first started a thread about it. The test has not changed that. My intent was to suggest that a list of specifications doesn't mean that the manufacturer has actually measured a working device and got good results. It is not evidence that the device tested here was a broken version rather than the design itself being broken.
You obviously do not understand the concept of Quality Control. QC means testing every unit that leaves the factory against the published specification within a tolerance. As 127W measured against 300W published is in no way can be treated as within limit, the device should have failed QC there and then. However, it is proved with @amirm's tests that it is not the case. They sold a failed unit.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Yet you drew one. Based on my experience there is nothing broken in this amp.
I am basing that on the beginning of your review where you talked about having difficulties getting the amp to function. Going back and forth between unbalanced and balanced inputs until it suddenly started working. Did I misunderstand?

From the operator manual.

Balanced XLR Inputs - These are the Differential Balanced XLR Inputs. The wiring is standard for XLR inputs – Pin 1 is Ground, Pin 2 is Hot +, and Pin 3 is - Cold.
• Single Ended RCA Inputs – These are Standard Single Ended RCA Inputs. Use either XLR or RCA inputs. Do not use XLR and RCA at the same time as they share the same signal path.

Odd that balance and unbalanced share the same signal path.

PeteL

Major Contributor
If you don't to QC you are not a manufacturer in the sense that we understand in the Western world. The Wild West happened a long time ago...
We would think so yes, still defective products gets in the hands of customers once in a while.QC should be everywhere, it’s not as rigourous everywhere. That said, It was meant as a general statement replying to a comment on something I said. I am not saying I have reason to believe this is a review of a broken device. Also, just to clarify further, the shit happens joke was meant as a phonetic joke… There was nothing political in a east vs west assumtion…

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am basing that on the beginning of your review where you talked about having difficulties getting the amp to function.
That all points to potential design issue especially when we are talking about a class D amp and switching amplifier. There is a slight chance it is also triggering issue in Audio Precision with noise but again, neither one of these points to a broken amplifier.

When something breaks, it stops working, it creates noise, high distortion, etc. In this case, we have two independent channels both doing the same thing so that rules out manufacturing of that subsystem. Maybe the power supply is producing lower voltage or current but is hard to make a case of faulty manufacturing there.

So while anything is possible, the odds are hugely against this being a manufacturing fault.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
That all points to potential design issue especially when we are talking about a class D amp and switching amplifier. There is a slight chance it is also triggering issue in Audio Precision with noise but again, neither one of these points to a broken amplifier.

When something breaks, it stops working, it creates noise, high distortion, etc. In this case, we have two independent channels both doing the same thing so that rules out manufacturing of that subsystem. Maybe the power supply is producing lower voltage or current but is hard to make a case of faulty manufacturing there.

So while anything is possible, the odds are hugely against this being a manufacturing fault.
Power supplies seem to be the limiting factor with these amps. Would you retest if they send another?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Power supplies seem to be the limiting factor with these amps. Would you retest if they send another?
The PSU is integral. If there is an issue with it then there is an issue with the amplifier. Do we expect @amirm to repair units that he tests?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I already answer this. No. The next step is them running measurements like I do. If that disputes what I found, then we can discuss next steps.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I already answer this. No. The next step is them running measurements like I do. If that disputes what I found, then we can discuss next steps.
Agreed. I was asking a rhetorical question.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The PSU is integral. If there is an issue with it then there is an issue with the amplifier. Do we expect @amirm to repair units that he tests?
No, that has not been the case. That requires tooling up for a entirely different operation and a different space to do it in.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I missed your answer early on - sorry about posting. Had I understood it was settled would not have posted anything.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe put mains in on your obviously flawed $800 amp... then we don't need to worry about what laptop power supply is right. Who puts an external power supply on >$500 component? (Rhetorical question. We know, 'Premium' Audio does.)

Edit: ope :facepalm: confused with something else.

I digress. Actually, I am
(add your own adverb) confident in Amir's lab power supply, since the manufacturer failed to include a decent power supply in this $800 product.

Last edited:
Top Bottom