• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(active?) Speaker advice

OP
D

Dion93

I only have personal experience of the S3000 Pros, but on specs alone these are definitey more capable than the cheaper model. The S3000 Pro has a larger bass driver and so can go louder and the lowest bass frequencies than can be played are lower frequency. One other difference which you may view as a pro or a con is that with the S2000 Pro there is a cable that runs direct from the right speaker to the left which carries both power and the audio signal. With the S3000 Pro the audio signals are sent wirelessly between the speakers but the left speaker has a mains lead that needs to be plugged in.

I do think the Kalis are probably better speakers than the S3000 Pros and I'd be very interested to hear these for myself. I've just been trying to give you a balanced view, as I appreciate different people have different priorities and ideas on how much to spend.

If you're just used to the speakers in TVs themselves then any of the options being discussed will sound amazing to you by comparison. On the subwoofer front, if you want to maximise movie enjoyment, and if you don't have neighbours to worry about, then getting an AV amp and a setup that inludes a sub will undoubtedly give a better experience. I use a subwoofer myself for both music and movies.
Thanks!

Am still doubting, also because the kali's can be more easily matched with speaker stands, and they dont have originals yet, which could save me some €'s compared with the stands from the 3000.

Did you have anything in mind regarding speaker stands for the Kali?

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks!

Am still doubting, also because the kali's can be more easily matched with speaker stands, and they dont have originals yet, which could save me some €'s compared with the stands from the 3000.

Did you have anything in mind regarding speaker stands for the Kali?

Even if you do buy the Edifiers it doens't mean you have to buy the stands specifically for them. In part that may depend what you think of how they look.

From what you'd posted so far it wasn't obvious you'd be wanting stands by the way. As you hadn't said I was guessing you had a setup like the following video in mind. (Don't try to judge sound quality based on the video though!)

OP
D

Dion93

Sorry i didnt say that, i didnt think it would matter much.

Speakers wont fit on my tv stand.
And from what i read speaker stands will bring out (a little?) more potential then on a tv stand.

I think the original edifier stands look good and match with the speakers greatly, so it wont be really worth it searching for others.

Edit: So i'm wondering what kind of speaker stands I would/could/should get if I go for the Kali's.

Cus I'll be paying €630 for the 3000's including stands.
Right now I would pay €778, excluding stands, for the Kali's. But these seem to be (quite) a bit better, so might be worth it :)

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

Just do a Google search for speaker stands and I'm sure you'll get lots of sensible options to choose from.

There is also the issue of how to actually connect up the Kalis. Perhaps @abdo123 would have a suggestion of how best to do this?

OP
D

Dion93

Just do a Google search for speaker stands and I'm sure you'll get lots of sensible options to choose from.

There is also the issue of how to actually connect up the Kalis. Perhaps @abdo123 would have a suggestion of how best to do this?
So theres not really a difference in speaker stands, besides its platform size and the ability to adjust the heigth?

Ultrasonic

So theres not really a difference in speaker stands, besides its platform size and the ability to adjust the heigth?

They don't generally have adjustable height. I bought the stands I'm currently second hand at least 15 years ago so I'm really not up to date wth what might be available. Others here will be better placed to comment I'm sure.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
not really. pick a stand from Thomann with the necessary shelf dimensions (to fit whichever speaker you pick).

3.5mm to Tulip cables are quite common. it even comes with most TVs
stereo-kabel-35mm-stereo-plug-2x-tulp-man-02m.jpg

Ultrasonic

The Kalis don't have RCA sockets and there will need to be one connection to each speaker...

Ultrasonic

Oops! Actually they do have RCA sockets don't they :facepalm:. When I looked at the photo I thought they were 3/4" jacks, hence my question.

OP
D

Dion93

not really. pick a stand from Thomann with the necessary shelf dimensions (to fit whichever speaker you pick).

Alright, so I'd just need that cable and I'll be fine right?

That's all I wanted to know. Thank you all a lot :)

Edit: For those interested, I will be going for the Kali's afterall, after some more reading. :)

G'day

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

Edit: For those interested, I will be going for the Kali's afterall, after some more reading. :)

G'day

Let us know how you get on :).

Katji

Major Contributor
[ btw ]

Just on this point I'll say that this seems to be something you're particularly sensitive to, as the sort of issues you're referring to are rarely highlighted by most people for any speaker. Possibly you like to listen VERY loud? Out of curiosity I did just try running the S3000 Pros I currently have set up at a volume louder than was comfortable and it wasn't a case of there being any immediately obvious issue to me, and I very much doubt that the OP would notice one either. I'm not in any way suggesting that distortion doesn't increase as I know it definitey does (measurably so), but I doubt most people would go 'oh, what a distracting squek/buzz' if they heard them.
I haven't tried VERY LOUD for more than a few seconds, or even just loud enough for long enough to get an idea of the distortion. ...Ok, the bass does get boomy but that's my room. (With the 38 Hz spec./whatever.)

Cabinet resonance /buzz/whatever...is unlikely. Edifier S3000 21mm MDF, A200 and A300 25mm MDF. so much so that they list it, and the amount of damping material.

One other difference which you may view as a pro or a con is that with the S2000 Pro there is a cable that runs direct from the right speaker to the left which carries both power and the audio signal. With the S3000 Pro the audio signals are sent wirelessly between the speakers but the left speaker has a mains lead that needs to be plugged in.
Both left and right do. Kleernet transceiver on the left needs power. And Kleernet only transmits signal [afaik].
...I suppose only the right/master has the XMOS-->DSP-->DAC...but I don't know how it all works, I see the KleerNet evaluation board has analog inputs...but what that implies in the Edifier application, I don't know.

Ultrasonic

...I suppose only the right/master has the XMOS-->DSP-->DAC...but I don't know how it all works, I see the KleerNet evaluation board has analog inputs...but what that implies in the Edifier application, I don't know.

A quick Google confirms my guess that KleerNet transfers digital signals between the speakers, so there must be a DAC in the left speaker.

madDog

G'day
Hey man, i'm thinking about the exact same setup. Kali to lg cx headphone in. Did you get yours and did you connect them via the splitter cable linked above ? What's your listening distance ?

OP
D

Dion93

Hey man, i'm thinking about the exact same setup. Kali to lg cx headphone in. Did you get yours and did you connect them via the splitter cable linked above ? What's your listening distance ?
Hey!

What a coincidence it is:)

I did order them but they'll arrive within 2-3 weeks because of no stock.

I dont know if you're from europe also, but if you are you might want to consider buying them at musix.com.
I found them there for €608 for a pair.
In the Netherlands I couldnt get them cheaper then €778.
You might want to wait for mine to arrive though, because that price almost seems fishy to me. They do have at least 2 physical stores (germany and switserland) and I had some mail exchanges with them, so it seemed save enough to me.

And no, I didnt get the tulip cable.
I kinda forgot about the tulip cable to be honest, im a hifi noob.
I got 2x a 3,5mm to 3,5mm jack cable (that were on a sale), a 3,5mm to 2x 3,5mm adapter and 2x a 6,35mm to 3,5mm plug instead, all balanced.

Will make a small update when I receive the speakers, but they seem to be a good buy to me, based on what I read.

Good luck!

madDog

Hey Dion93, didn't know about that site, the price difference is crazy yeah. Do let me know when you get em, i would love to order through them, instead of thomman :) I'll just go with rca, i don't wonna deal with adapters and that many cables :p

poxymoron

Sorry i didnt say that, i didnt think it would matter much.

Speakers wont fit on my tv stand.
And from what i read speaker stands will bring out (a little?) more potential then on a tv stand.

I think the original edifier stands look good and match with the speakers greatly, so it wont be really worth it searching for others.

Edit: So i'm wondering what kind of speaker stands I would/could/should get if I go for the Kali's.

Cus I'll be paying €630 for the 3000's including stands.
Right now I would pay €778, excluding stands, for the Kali's. But these seem to be (quite) a bit better, so might be worth it :)
I have the S3000Pros on the Edifier stands. I won't attest to the sound improvement from the stands because I just don't buy into that nonsense but I filled mine with sand which I dried out beforehand and they are solid as a rock which really is the most important thing (affixed with some blu-tack under each speaker and each stand). And they are a perfect match for the speakers. These speakers' looks divide opinion but I like them and I think they look great on the Edifier stands. If your going to go with these speakers and place them on stands then I'd definitely get the Edifier stands. FWIW I think they're great speakers.

OP
D

Dion93

I have the S3000Pros on the Edifier stands. I won't attest to the sound improvement from the stands because I just don't buy into that nonsense but I filled mine with sand which I dried out beforehand and they are solid as a rock which really is the most important thing (affixed with some blu-tack under each speaker and each stand). And they are a perfect match for the speakers. These speakers' looks divide opinion but I like them and I think they look great on the Edifier stands. If your going to go with these speakers and place them on stands then I'd definitely get the Edifier stands. FWIW I think they're great speakers.
I went for the Kali's. Thanks for the info though.

Can anyone confirm I got the proper wiring for the Kali's to my TV?

I got

- male 3,5mm TRS jack to 2x female 3,5mm jack plug - male goes into headphone output on my tv.

- (2x) male 6,35mm TRS jack to 3,5mm female jack plug - male goes into the speakers.

- (2x) male 3,5mm TRS jack to same (male 3,5mm TRS jack) cable - to connect the plugs.

Will this work without getting noise, or did I do something wrong / forgot to mention something?

Last edited:
OP
D

Dion93

Hi, finally the promised update!

I received the speakers yesterday, got an Tidal trial and am very satisfied so far!

Regarding the site I ordered from, it arrived, but it did got delayed a couple of times. Saved me +- €160 though.

So yes, thanks to everyone for the advice, will be enjoying the Kali's for a long time!

Happy holidays!

ADoIDo

Hi, finally the promised update!

I received the speakers yesterday, got an Tidal trial and am very satisfied so far!

Regarding the site I ordered from, it arrived, but it did got delayed a couple of times. Saved me +- €160 though.

So yes, thanks to everyone for the advice, will be enjoying the Kali's for a long time!

Happy holidays!
How are the Kali's working out? I have my eye on the same models for the same home entertainment purposes.

Top Bottom