• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Baby steps on my part. So how do you feed the output of DAC back into REW?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am pretty sure I know nothing about measuring distortion. Everything I measure is showing crazy digital distortion.

Here is how I measured the Topping (probably wrong)

1. PC---REW 1k sign----Zoom h6 at -18dbfs----REW RTA on spectrum on another PC

So doing it this way the topping results with a clean signal at -13.3dbfs then it goes bonkers with digital clipping at only -11.9dbfs

I have this same problem with all the DAC's I am testing so it must be my problem. but the mini DSP doesn't go crazy until-6dbfs
the clipped screen grab doesn't show all the data, but you can see what looks like straight up digital clipping.

I tried this with and without the topping drivers and swapped computers to see if issue remained. thanks for any help!

View attachment 155646
View attachment 155647
Have you calibrated the Full Scale level in REW? You need it so that 0 dbfs or -1 dfbs registers as that in REW. I'm not familiar enough with the Zoom to be of much help on whether you've set it up optimally. I think from memory that close to 0 dbFS is 4.25 volts with the DAC 10 balanced.

GimeDsp

Have you calibrated the Full Scale level in REW? You need it so that 0 dbfs or -1 dfbs registers as that in REW. I'm not familiar enough with the Zoom to be of much help on whether you've set it up optimally. I think from memory that close to 0 dbFS is 4.25 volts with the DAC 10 balanced.
I checked the REW output level with my normal loudness meter for production, and also exported a wav file of same to check in audacity. All meters show REW output matches. I changed REW to "show full scale as 0dbfs". Thanks.

loudness meter.PNG

kchap

Forum Donor
Going to the web, the H6 max level in is +22 dBu, around 10 V RMS. I imagine 10 would be with the pads switched in.

GimeDsp

Going to the web, the H6 max level in is +22 dBu, around 10 V RMS. I imagine 10 would be with the pads switched in.
I ran the gain down pretty low and it gave me a good signal at -18dbfs.

kchap

Forum Donor
Fat fingers!
Going to the web, the H6 max level in is +22 dBu, around 10 V RMS. I imagine that would be with the pads switched in.

So you a need known good test signal of around 14.7 dBu, 4.2 Vrms to confirm that you are not overloading the Zoom.

GimeDsp

RESOLVED

Thanks for taking the time to help me trouble shoot! I'm a studio tech grunt and subjective system evaluator and don't have time to learn a lot of things.
So just to see if it made a difference I ran the signal out of my miniDSP dac and into Zoom H6 on the same PC.

This stabilized everything and I got a clean signal as expected. I am not sure why that is but am sure some REW person would know.
Below is measurement of miniDSP ddrc-24 showing what it should look like with a 0dbfs signal output.

Attachments

• fixed. lol.jpg
    fixed. lol.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 87

GimeDsp

Used the d10 balanced in pro audio set up today.

Plugged it in and it was recognized instantly. Used the balanced line in on a Allen & Health mixwiz16, engaged the 20db pad and the mixer's gain dial had to be put really low. This thing has a strong output!

Only used one side of D10b output, mono into mixer and it sounded and worked great.
Even in an environment where hum/noise has been an issue the D10 balanced was silent.

Thanks to topping for making a good variety of nice gear!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... I look forward to the day when record executives are banned...
You should have stopped after that last word.
These kinds of 'shenanigans' bankroll the 'HooliganBastards' lifestyles and will never stop! All the while studios and sound engineers have become endangered species like the recording artists.

Ingenieur

Mine arrived today
Hooked and playing
So far, so good

Using adapters XLR into 509x
1/4" to male XLR cables on the way

Downloaded their drivers:
Listened to 'default ASIO topping usb audio device' and 'default speaker/topping usb DAC'
I think I like 'speaker' better.
Is there actually a difference? Or am I imaging things? lol

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine arrived today
Hooked and playing
So far, so good

Downloaded their drivers:
Listened to 'default ASIO topping usb audio device' and 'default speaker/topping usb DAC'
I think I like 'speaker' better.
Is there actually a difference? Or am I imaging things? lol
I think that's just how it's labeled. Mine says the same thing on Win 10/Audirvana.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am still having issues with the 1/4" jacks: Ultimately, the required adapter cables will end up being XLRs (in most cases). This adds to the overall cost AND unnecessarily complicates interconnections.

GimeDsp

I am still having issues with the 1/4" jacks: Ultimately, the required adapter cables will end up being XLRs (in most cases). This adds to the overall cost AND unnecessarily complicates interconnections.
What issues are you having?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hart Audio Cables has a nice set of interconnects that will work for the E50 or D10 Balanced.

Ingenieur

I ordered these x2.

I was listening today, the D10B brings out a lot of detail. Soft cymbals, drum stick taps on the rim, etc.

Attachments

• 1108597F-4795-4991-B42D-59A19BB80E3C.jpeg
    1108597F-4795-4991-B42D-59A19BB80E3C.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 121

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered these x2.

I was listening today, the D10B brings out a lot of detail. Soft cymbals, drum stick taps on the rim, etc.
Yeah those guys make very nice cables with good components for not a lot of money. Available in any configuration you can imagine as well.

Walter

Hart Audio Cables has a nice set of interconnects that will work for the E50 or D10 Balanced.
$45 cables apparently specifically designed for a $130 DAC. Sigh...

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom