• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High quality media player for Android

Tks

Major Contributor
Even more bizarre. Went to its page on play store and there was an update option. I have auto update on but that didn't update from back in May! I've changed phones since then too!

Also, tidal login isn't working on v6. Maybe an android beta bug. More work needed

Android beta bug? You're on Android 12 or something (sorry I don't keep up with Android updates since LG bit the dust I'm still on 10, and they're seemingly abandoning their promise of Android 11 coming to their phones).

I assume it's surly a problem due to whatever beta OS version you're on. Try emailing the devs, they're quick to respond and cool folk.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Android beta bug? You're on Android 12 or something (sorry I don't keep up with Android updates since LG bit the dust I'm still on 10, and they're seemingly abandoning their promise of Android 11 coming to their phones).

I assume it's surly a problem due to whatever beta OS version you're on. Try emailing the devs, they're quick to respond and cool folk.
Yes im running pixel 5 android 12 beta. Now I've got v5 back I'll leave it as is and play with 6 on old phones

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The new ChromeCast support in UAPP 6.0 gave me an idea for a little headphone setup for the family room, so the Topping x50 stack came out of it's boxes...

IMG_0168 (Small).jpg

It's casting 24bit/96Khz :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The new ChromeCast support in UAPP 6.0 gave me an idea for a little headphone setup for the family room, so the Topping x50 stack came out of it's boxes...

View attachment 156245

It's casting 24bit/96Khz :)

And it outputs after EQ too. Gamechanger.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And it outputs after EQ too. Gamechanger.

I couldn't get EQ to apply, I tried Toneboosters PEQ and Morphit but neither worked. ChromeCast is also a little buggy, e.g. I can't find any way to stop casting and switch output back to the phone. If I select 'Phone' on the ChromeCast screen, it just says it's buffering when I try to play anything - I have to kill UAPP and do a Samsung Phone Optimize (memory clean) to get UAPP working again. However, it plays perfectly when it works :)

To be fair to UAPP, ChromeCast is still a beta feature.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn't get EQ to apply, I tried Toneboosters PEQ and Morphit but neither worked. ChromeCast is also a little buggy, e.g. I can't find any way to stop casting and switch output back to the phone. If I select 'Phone' on the ChromeCast screen, it just says it's buffering when I try to play anything - I have to kill UAPP and do a Samsung Phone Optimize (memory clean) to get UAPP working again. However, it plays perfectly when it works :)

To be fair to UAPP, ChromeCast is still a beta feature.
Now I must confess I only did very minimal testing of EQ and CC. But I confirmed it was applying the EQ (whacked the bass filter to max then switched EQ on and off) - this was one or 2 updates ago when I first got v6. When I get some time I need to put some of my over ear HP EQs into UAPP as previously its just been IEM for use with dongles.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I must confess I only did very minimal testing of EQ and CC. But I confirmed it was applying the EQ (whacked the bass filter to max then switched EQ on and off) - this was one or 2 updates ago when I first got v6. When I get some time I need to put some of my over ear HP EQs into UAPP as previously its just been IEM for use with dongles.

I wasn't leaving it long enough to hear the change. There's a 4-5 second delay between applying the EQ and it becoming audible. It's marginally quicker to stop playing, apply EQ and start again :)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So having played with ChromeCasting from UAPP for a while now i've found it to be really quite buggy and annoying to use. I then realized that I can cast directly from Plex on my NAS using PlexApp on my phone. This works much better (perfectly in fact) and I get access to all the nice Plex Pass features like Mixes and Sonically Similar Tracks. I'm also liking the PlexApp for Windows 10, although the phone style interface may take some getting used to. I'll still be using UAPP when i'm on the move as I store my FLACs on my phone and need the EQ features.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
In Italy, my latest update is 6.0.2.3 BETA
In the UK on a stock Pixel 4A I'm on 5.9.9.9 and the text in Google Play says "This app is no longer compatible with your device. Contact the developers for more info". I suspect this is about the known bug which makes my phone reboot if I use UAPP with my Apple USB dongle. Perhaps when Android 12 is finally released (next week or so) everything will be in order.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the UK on a stock Pixel 4A I'm on 5.9.9.9 and the text in Google Play says "this app is no longer compatible with your device. Contact the developers for more info". I suspect this is about the known bug which makes my phone reboot if I use UAPP with my Apple USB dongle. Perhaps when Android 12 is finally released (next week or so) everyone will be in order.

I was stuck on 5.9.9.9 even after @Tks pointed out the update to 6.0 (on various devices) in the UK.

I went onto the beta channel, got the update but then they released 6.0 whatever widely anyway

Odd you havent got the option to upgrade to 6 yet- all my devices have now gone to 6, regardless of Android version. Try an uninstall and reinstall and it might move to 6?

threni

Major Contributor
I was stuck on 5.9.9.9 even after @Tks pointed out the update to 6.0 (on various devices) in the UK.

I went onto the beta channel, got the update but then they released 6.0 whatever widely anyway

Odd you havent got the option to upgrade to 6 yet- all my devices have now gone to 6, regardless of Android version. Try an uninstall and reinstall and it might move to 6?
No, I suspect I won't be able to install it again if I do that (I tried installing it on another device once and it said it wasn't compatible with any of my devices). You're on a different OS to me.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I suspect I won't be able to install it again if I do that (I tried installing it on another device once and it said it wasn't compatible with any of my devices). You're on a different OS to me.
Ive installed 6 on a oneplus 7T running android 11 and a Huawei thingy running I think 10, And a tablet running I think 9. As well as a pixel 3 running 12 beta and a pixel 5 running 12 beta.

But yes, something funny is going on in your situation.

threni

Major Contributor
Ive installed 6 on a oneplus 7T running android 11 and a Huawei thingy running I think 10, And a tablet running I think 9. As well as a pixel 3 running 12 beta and a pixel 5 running 12 beta.

But yes, something funny is going on in your situation.
I suspect it's an Android 11 issue, and perhaps oneplus fixed the problem in their version of Android. I've sent an email to the developers - let's see what they say. I only use UAPP for listening on bluetooth - the crash with the dongle was just some troubleshooting I was doing for my lego portable device - but I paid for it so I should be able to use it.

Edit: found this on their forum:

(SC = snow cone - google's internal codename for Android 12)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect it's an Android 11 issue, and perhaps oneplus fixed the problem in their version of Android. I've sent an email to the developers - let's see what they say. I only use UAPP for listening on bluetooth - the crash with the dongle was just some troubleshooting I was doing for my lego portable device - but I paid for it so I should be able to use it.

Edit: found this on their forum:

(SC = snow cone - google's internal codename for Android 12)
Ah, the joys of a fragmented eco system! One particular model from one manuf goosed. Ludicrous!

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would you look at that. Thanks for the tip. :D

I will test one or more of the ones you mention when or IF Spotify launches its lossless. Do not understand way takes such a time. Has Spotify completely missed that there is a high-res war going on?:oops:

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-have-spotify-lossless-in-your-country.26386/
Spotify is doing the old social media dance: Start something new, herd in the adolescents, ignore improvements for the upper 5%, watch the SOTA pass you by while reaping money, fall behind the power curve, the music stops and their chair is missing, and start to close down. Their high-res is way too late after Apple and Amazon split their lunch. Tidal and Cobuz are like the media dogs who just catch scraps from the big guys' table.

The earbud gang will move to Apple or Amazon, depending on the logo on their phones. In three years, what was Spotify will be a question on quiz shows. I don't wish it were so, but it is so.

It's the Harvard and Wharton Business school method: Invent a cow, build a dairy, milk the cow to death, sell the cow for dog food, take the capital to a different kind of farm.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Spotify is doing the old social media dance: Start something new, herd in the adolescents, ignore improvements for the upper 5%, watch the SOTA pass you by while reaping money, fall behind the power curve, the music stops and their chair is missing, and start to close down. Their high-res is way too late after Apple and Amazon split their lunch. Tidal and Cobuz are like the media dogs who just catch scraps from the big guys' table.

The earbud gang will move to Apple or Amazon, depending on the logo on their phones. In three years, what was Spotify will be a question on quiz shows. I don't wish it were so, but it is so.

It's the Harvard and Wharton Business school method: Invent a cow, build a dairy, milk the cow to death, sell the cow for dog food, take the capital to a different kind of farm.

I'm sending Karl to Spotify.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After my LG phone died, I haven't been listening to audio on my replacement Poco X3- sound quality just isn't the same. I know that the inbuilt DAC chip/amp might be the limiting factor, but is there anything that will override the native digital controller? I'm not using an external DAC/amp combo and listen to both transferred music files as well as YouTube/Spotify

*Heard Viper4android is great but it sounds like a pain to install

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After my LG phone died, I haven't been listening to audio on my replacement Poco X3- sound quality just isn't the same. I know that the inbuilt DAC chip/amp might be the limiting factor, but is there anything that will override the native digital controller? I'm not using an external DAC/amp combo and listen to both transferred music files as well as YouTube/Spotify
Well a good dongle DAC is your best bet. Software isn't going to help a junk dac/amp on the internals.

Top Bottom