• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer NX1000D Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Anything I should know if I go this route? I have a RBH 1212PR sub in the back of the room the RBH 1212NR passive version of this sub is in the right front corner. I'm using the RBH 500dsp amp on the passive one it puts out 500 watts but the PR 1212 has a 2400 watt amp in it. So I'm wanting something to keep up with it. I can get them to play okay together but that amp for the front sub is definitely holding back the overall performance of the system

The room pics View attachment 141862View attachment 141863

Any quick advice greatly appreciated.
Never gave me any issues, use 'em on several subs. Nothing a little eq can't fix :) Does the RBH amp have similar behavior? This Behringer seems to have some of that going on, too. You can always get maybe a SpeakerPower amp :)

danzilla31

Forum Donor
Never gave me any issues, use 'em on several subs. Nothing a little eq can't fix :) Does the RBH amp have similar behavior? This Behringer seems to have some of that going on, too. You can always get maybe a SpeakerPower amp :)
Yeah the RBH amp works great no issues like a Behringer. It's just a big room and matching it with the PR in the back of the room I have to turn its gain up quiet a ways. It's a lot less powerful then the PR Want to watch for clipping

I'd LOVE to go Speaker Power they are not cheap tho. But they are worth it. The cool thing is if I do go SpeakerPower that's who makes the amps for the RBH PR 1212. RBH told me I could have them bake in the settings for the amp to match the DSP and performance on both subs exactly

But if I can get away with using the crown I'd love to

danzilla31

Forum Donor
You know what they actually have a stand alone amp that might do the trick for a good price too. Not as powerful as the PR1212 but I doubght I'm making that sub go full power anyway nearfield in the back and it's more power then the RBH. But what's cool is I bet you they can set up the dsp the same way as PR1212

Thanks for the tip!!!!

1626562689034.png

prerich

No, it ran pretty cool. I was wearing my IEMs during testing and I could still hear the fan. It is that loud. While running the multiple power sweeps, I thought it actually got louder as that stressed it. Pros don't care about fan noise because they mount them in far away racks and reliability there is more important than anything else. So I doubt that there is a firmware fix for that.
Most of us that use Behringer or any pro-amp or that matter usually mod the fan (but it voids the warranty). Noctua fans are extremely quiet and do a good job. Most people I know use these pro amps for sub duties in systems with passive subwoofers. Yes....you're correct, firmware will not fix that jet engine fan! :)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor

I see you have a GLARING obvious serious issue in your theater room. I can't believe you have missed it after spending all that money to get it put together. You have someone who has claimed the best seat in the room and looks like that family member is NOT going to give it up for anyone. It happens to the best of us. They are just so much quicker at claiming a good seat! :)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Also I would not hesitate to get a Crown amp that goes 1.5db down BELOW 20hz. In sub frequencies 1.5db is nothing at all. You would get a great Crown amp with a special 6 year warranty if bought this year. Oh, and for sub work, get the highest power level amp. In the XLi Series 3500 you get around 2000 to 3000 watts? Go big or go home! Good Luck.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
I see you have a GLARING obvious serious issue in your theater room. I can't believe you have missed it after spending all that money to get it put together. You have someone who has claimed the best seat in the room and looks like that family member is NOT going to give it up for anyone. It happens to the best of us. They are just so much quicker at claiming a good seat! :)
My little Francos just a monster he never shares that seat with anyone! :) whats even funnier is when he sleeps with me at night. I've never figured out how a 12 lb chihuahua can somehow steal most of the bed from a 240 lb man. But he does it everytime:D

danzilla31

Forum Donor
Also I would not hesitate to get a Crown amp that goes 1.5db down BELOW 20hz. In sub frequencies 1.5db is nothing at all. You would get a great Crown amp with a special 6 year warranty if bought this year. Oh, and for sub work, get the highest power level amp. In the XLi Series 3500 you get around 2000 to 3000 watts? Go big or go home! Good Luck.
I have 2 crown xli 6000 I picked up awhile back it's just I don't know how to do the fan mod on those. Those fans are loud.. Also I'm not sure how to set up the dsp because you can't set one up with filters below 20hz and you can't get around that with a shelf filter like you can with the Behringer.

But if I can find some solutions to those I might just go that route it's a 2 channel amp with each channel putting like 2000 watts into 4ohms and they are 2ohm stable. Just monster amps.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"car stereo standards"... Amir, you make me grin in every review. Thanks to you and the owner, for bringing this one to us!

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That fan is a show stopper.

For grins I have several CROWN ComTech amplifiers. The 200 watt version does not have a fan. I just bought a RANE MA 6S 6-pack amp with a variable speed fan. I bought it just to play with and measure the fan noise.

I will post some plots.

Thanks DT

platimn

Hi all, how well would this work as a headphone amp for high wattage/low sensitivity phones? Would the noise floor be too high? I can't really tell just by looking at the data due to lack of experience. I am thinking of powering Audeze and HFM early models with maximum headroom.

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi all, how well would this work as a headphone amp for high wattage/low sensitivity phones? Would the noise floor be too high? I can't really tell just by looking at the data due to lack of experience. I am thinking of powering Audeze and HFM early models with maximum headroom.
Nooooo Noooo and further more Nooooo.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

You think this was a good joke?

platimn

You think this was a good joke?
Not really. These amps don't actually have anywhere near rated output so at impedances of 32, 64, and above they are less powerful than some of the more ridiculous headphone amps that are out there. If you limit it with a preamp and in software aside from the catastrophic failure modes that apply always it's not likely to be instant death for anything. I just wanted some advice since I have one on hand and second opinions like yours are always valuable. But if you all warn me off there must be something to it. I just wish I knew what if it is obvious.

Edit: BTW sorry if I am offending anybody or if people think that I am trolling. I understand that this site is relatively serious so I am asking seriously. The consequences on safety are of course paramount, but people do not seem to balk at using Class A power in the extreme for headphones, what is the difference with Class D?

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Not really. These amps don't actually have anywhere near rated output so at impedances of 32, 64, and above they are less powerful than some of the more ridiculous headphone amps that are out there. If you limit it with a preamp and in software aside from the catastrophic failure modes that apply always it's not likely to be instant death for anything. I just wanted some advice since I have one on hand and second opinions like yours are always valuable. But if you all warn me off there must be something to it. I just wish I knew what if it is obvious.

Edit: BTW sorry if I am offending anybody or if people think that I am trolling. I understand that this site is relatively serious so I am asking seriously. The consequences on safety are of course paramount, but people do not seem to balk at using Class A power in the extreme for headphones, what is the difference with Class D?

See with 300 ohms this thing delivers 3 Watts. Not much, but for headphones a good amount of power. But what happens if the coils get to hot? You have shortcuts between windings, resistance goes down, and this amp delivers the current to have a nice bratfest. A headphone amp wont deliver the current.

Not to talk about that sinad is realy not good for a headphone amp. Or different said who the hell likes a competition of a traktor with a ferrari on a racetrac?

Last edited:

platimn

See with 300 ohms this thing delivers 3 Watts. Not much, but for headphones a good amount of power. But what happens if the coils get to hot? You have shortcuts between windings, resistance goes down, and this amp delivers the current to have a nice bratfest. A headphone amp wont deliver the current.
Yes, I see. Current is lethal with speaker amps relative to the milliamps that head-amps usually produce. I guess it is all down to the protections in the circuit whether it is "safe" or not though on careful thought it is inadvisable to risk such a scenario in habitations where there are multiple people for which to be responsible. I will leave the experiments to others and stick with properly made headphone amplifiers.

Top Bottom