• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WHICH DAC SETUP?

ToKillTime

Hi guys,

currently, I am using a RPI4 with the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro as a network player, which supplies my amplifier (Rotel RA 1592) with content (Line out).

Since the Rotel has an integrated DAC (AKM Premium 32-Bit/768kHz), I wonder if the following alternatives would be more suitable?

1. RPI4 > HiFiBerry Digi Pro > SPDIF > Rotel

2. RPI > USB > Rotel

Does anyone have experience and can give me a recommendation?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
ToKillTime

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Assuming the Rotel's USB shows up as a UAC2 device (XMOS or similar), I would try to use that. It seems to be using an AK4495, a noticeably fancier part than the PCM5102 (I think) that the HifiBerry uses. Realistically, either should be more than good enough, but at least you'd have banished one analog connection that may be subject to ground loops.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Realistically, either should be more than good enough, but at least you'd have banished one analog connection that may be subject to ground loops.
^^^
This. Lower box count, where possible.

Top Bottom