• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Douk VU2 Review (VU Meter/Input Selector)

hoverdonkey

Hi

I have been on the lookout for a remote RCA input selector. What a shame this isn't it! Can anybody recommend one?

I can go semi-DIY if necessary and have seen various relay switch boards (e.g. Lite MV04) but I have no idea if they might measure well.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have been on the lookout for a remote RCA input selector.
Emotiva used to have the SP-1, a stand alone switchbox that included 3 RCA inputs, a phono preamp, and a remote control. Now discontinued but google or ebay may be your friend to find one. Nice unit AFAIK
https://us.amazon.com/Emotiva-Audio-SP-1-Selector-Preamp/dp/B013CO3PWK
SP-1_1.png

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Damn, what a disappointment. I love meters. I remember when I bought the Oppo HA-1 just to get the display on that thing.

RME, are you listening? ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What a goofy product. The audiophilia with vu meters is just weird.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What a goofy product. The audiophilia with vu meters is just weird.
Kinda like watching the blue glow in power output tubes dance around to the beat of the music. LOL

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor

E. Damstra

$750 is quite a step up in price though. :oops:

Regarding the VU2, am I to understand that even if not in-line, these might have a negative impact? For example, on the back of my DAC there are both balanced and single ended outputs, which can be used in parallel.

Also, just for fun, I came across these on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Meters-C...d78ec8&pd_rd_wg=5kg11&pd_rd_i=B085LK65N7&th=1

View attachment 153074

Surely the most pointless VU meters ever, unless you have eyes on stalks, like a snail perhaps. :facepalm:
Taht is exactly the way I use these VU meters. I really like them

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Looks nice, thanks. Similar to the Lite MV04, although no remote, but possibly better quality? Have you found a way to remote control it?
I have not yet - I'm in the middle of a massive build right now - LX521 with ASP, the volume control and selector from @tomchr , and then next is making a load of his amplifiers to power everything.

hoverdonkey

I have not yet - I'm in the middle of a massive build right now - LX521 with ASP, the volume control and selector from @tomchr , and then next is making a load of his amplifiers to power everything.
Wowzers.

Would you mind pretending that you're the Queen/Pope/Boris and write me a letter that I can show my wife, explaining why it is my duty to humanity get these? Thanks!

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Wowzers.

Would you mind pretending that you're the Queen/Pope/Boris and write me a letter that I can show my wife, explaining why it is my duty to humanity get these? Thanks!
It keeps me busy, and my mind active. We all need something constructive to do nowadays.

French polishing cherry wood:

IMG_4194.jpeg

Wiring everything up:

IMG_4211.jpeg

ajawamnet

I struggled to find a picture of the inside of the unit. This was the best I could find. Plenty of relays!

View attachment 153081

Anyone see my review of the other unit they have?

here's the Youboob vid -

They suck...

Bru87tr

Has the One Little Bear VU1 been reviewed ?

I expect similar results but a search came up with nothing. I’m glad I seen this review cause I ordered it from Amazon an hour before. I was able to cancel it in time.

Bru87tr

I did cave and buy the One Little Bear VU1, paid by with bday Amazon cards. :)

Overpriced but it is neat for nostalgia. I don’t notice any distortion though. Would be cool if this one was tested and reviewed.

I thought maybe the way it looked it would be plastic like the other small one but it’s all metal.

Attachments

• 7257593C-01ED-4207-87B5-3B10024119BF.jpeg
    7257593C-01ED-4207-87B5-3B10024119BF.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
Recently purchased a Crookwood VU2 and seems to be an excellent product. I’m old school so the classic VU meter style match my expectations. I find it very useful to match the input levels of my many sources. I would hope it causes no detrimental effects to the signal? I might have Amir check it out if he has interest?

Attachments

• E3E26EF2-9DF6-439C-95A1-BBE80E8F68A6.jpeg
    E3E26EF2-9DF6-439C-95A1-BBE80E8F68A6.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Top Bottom