• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone had an issue connecting this to a DAC + USB-A to USB-B cable + Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter + iPhone?

It works when I connect it to the D10B + USB-A to USB-C cable + MacBook
Wouldn't you be able to tell if your A30pro is working by feeding the D10B from this proven chain/configuration into it?
*Glad you were able to solve the issue that quickly!

tmo

Wouldn't you be able to tell if your A30pro is working by feeding the D10B from this proven chain/configuration into it?
*Glad you were able to solve the issue that quickly!
Me too! I guess the D10B could draw enough power from my phone to make it show up on my phone's output selection menu and register the frequency on the D10B screen, but not enough power to send a signal to the A30pro.

Renaudjuju94

IMG_20210825_235512.jpg

Hi-res-user

Received this amp today. Tried my AKG K240DF with it and found the volume was not large enough for me at high gain. I used RCA input. The source was LG V30 with volume at max. I’m planning on returning it, and will stick with my Sony STR-DH190 receiver, which gives me plenty of headroom. I feel sorry this amp didn’t work out for me and that I have to return it. I guess the K240DF is too power hungry.

Veri

Master Contributor
Received this amp today. Tried my AKG K240DF with it and found the volume was not large enough for me at high gain. I used RCA input. The source was LG V30 with volume at max. I’m planning on returning it, and will stick with my Sony STR-DH190 receiver, which gives me plenty of headroom. I feel sorry this amp didn’t work out for me and that I have to return it. I guess the K240DF is too power hungry.
The LG likely provides too little voltage output. Using a proper source with 2 or more Vrms or balanced with 4 or more Vrms will drastically increase maximum output. I feel like you barely scratched the surface of this amp....

aandres_gm

As someone suggested, your source seems to be the issue.

Raex

Just tested my A30Pro for the "music out of the amp itself" thing with XLR and it also does it.
I doubt that there are Units that don't do it, I first thought mine doesn"t but after turning the volume knob to max in high gain (no headphone connected) the music appeared haha.
Lower than about 80% in high gain and the music disappears again.

tmo

Hi everyone. Forgive the dumb question, but does this amp drive multiple outputs (say all three being used) at the same time with the same power?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Hi everyone. Forgive the dumb question, but does this amp drive multiple outputs (say all three being used) at the same time with the same power?

Want to know this too as I just ordered a A30Pro to use it with my Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3.

Adamant

Hello all,
I'm new to this scene.

I have this amp (Topping A30Pro) with a topping D10S powering Sennheiser HD650.
The volume level starts to get uncomfortably loud on High Gain about 3/4 volume. Is it too quiet? is my DAC good enough?
Also, is it worth getting a balanced cable? Assuming I'm reading the charts correctly, 730 milliwatts (unbalanced) vs 813 (Balanced)

Thank you,

Adam.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Hello all,
I'm new to this scene.

The volume level starts to get uncomfortably loud on High Gain about 3/4 volume. Is it too quiet? is my DAC good enough?
Also, is it worth getting a balanced cable? Assuming I'm reading the charts correctly, 730 milliwatts (unbalanced) vs 813 (Balanced)

Thank you,

Adam.
Amir measured it and JohnYang1997 confirmed the balanced output has the same power as single ended, basically added there for convenience if you have such cable already. This is a major benefit of A30Pro that it has all that power on single ended and saves you the cost and hassle of having to buy new cables for more power as most other amps.

Be careful with those uncomfortably loud volumes - you can permanently damage your hearing with that much power. Learn to appreciate medium gain - it has better measured performance and when the pot is closer to max the channel balance is best.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Hello all,
I'm new to this scene.

Thank you,

Adam.

To get 730mW, you would need balanced dac 4V output. Your dac outputs 2V, so you aren't getting 730mW. That said, it should be loud enough for HD650. If you plan on some day getting ultra hard to drive headphones, then get a new dac. Output cable from the amp doesn't matter in A30Pro's case.

Last edited:

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Veri is correct. I was trying to use an E30 (SE only) to feed my A90 using power hungry HE6se headphones. The volume control was nearly maxed out at high gain.

Replaced E30 with a D30 Pro and used the XLR hookup to send 4V into the A90 ...... problem solved! Much more usable volume control.

Also, like using the D30 Pro as a pre-amp with my Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 power amp.

An A30 Pro, D30 Pro is a phenomenal combo for the price paid.

I just don't get how can you guys listen to such high vol. I am using HE6 SE too, I have A90 as well, but to avoid too many cables I decide to try DX7 pro direct out and I end up with it on low gain -10db with -12db in E-APO. Seems I am very unusual for listening at such low vol? But most people around me listen at similar vol...

VariousArtists

Seems I am very unusual for listening at such low vol? But most people around me listen at similar vol...
I felt exactly the same way today lol

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
This my A30Pro volume level getting signal from X-SABRE 3 via RCA and driving my DCA AEON 2 Noire. XLR outs from X-SABRE 3 are sending signal to my Dynaudio monitors. I'm on High Gain in the A30Pro but also running Oratory1990 EQ settings with volume leveling on AUTO and Headroom Management set at -3dB in Roon. Pass 3 o'clock my ears will start bleeding. Also, the MA mini-i Pro 3 is connected to the A30Pro via XLR too so I can switch amps on the fly and compare headphones/streamers :)

IMG_8398.jpeg

dizzyraider

Need some help here.

I was listening with the A30 Pro out of my D90. A few minutes in the music all of a sudden got cut out and the protection relay began clicking none stop. I turned off the A30 Pro and waited about 20 minutes or so with nothing plugged in to see if it'll return to normal, that didn't do the trick as it still does the relay clicks none stop the moment I try to turn it on .

I have tried plugging in a pair of headphones and unplugging, same with a DAC, and also different power outlets, but nothing seem to be able to get it out of the circuit protection.

Is the unit dead or is there something else to check and see if it'll get out of that funk?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Need some help here.

I was listening with the A30 Pro out of my D90. A few minutes in the music all of a sudden got cut out and the protection relay began clicking none stop. I turned off the A30 Pro and waited about 20 minutes or so with nothing plugged in to see if it'll return to normal, that didn't do the trick as it still does the relay clicks none stop the moment I try to turn it on .

I have tried plugging in a pair of headphones and unplugging, same with a DAC, and also different power outlets, but nothing seem to be able to get it out of the circuit protection.

Is the unit dead or is there something else to check and see if it'll get out of that funk?
Contact the seller for a replacement.

Top Bottom