• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THE AV SUMMIT Show Coming Up

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@joentell and crew have expanded their charter and are putting on an Audio and Video show:

I really enjoyed their last one with a number of very technical and in-depth talks which you can't get in in-person shows. I look forward to what they are going to have in this one. Suggest you support them by paying the nominal fee to get in and learn the inside story.

It is on from Oct 25 to 29th, 2021.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They had Charles Sprinkle on one of these and it was great to hear about their design goals and decisions!

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a fan of all the speakers I've reviewed from @Charles Sprinkle. Love the MMM also.

The IN-8 V2 and IN-5 are incredible values for those who appreciate vertical off axis response and post design that from listening appears immune to chuffing.

Rumor is that they are going to release an update to the LP series with the new amps when they can... Trying to get a brother in law to wait and get some Kali's instead of getting a sound bar.

joentell

Reviewer
I'm a fan of all their speakers... Once they re-release their LP series with updated amps that don't hiss so I can use them in quiet rooms and nearfield.

The IN-8 V2 and IN-5 are incredible values though for those who appreciate vertical off axis response and post design that from listening appears immune to chuffing.
Yes, that was my main complaint about the original LP-6. It's really cool that they listen to feedback and look for ways to improve their products. That's all we could hope for as consumers.

Newman

Major Contributor
I’ll wait for them to release a schedule before deciding.

Last edited:

joentell

Reviewer
I’ll wait for them to release a schedule before dediding.
Thank you for saying this. We will try to update the schedule ASAP. From the past 3 events, we've noticed that some companies tend to wait till the very last minute to confirm. I'll definitely let companies know though.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They had Charles Sprinkle on one of these and it was great to hear about their design goals and decisions!
That was an excellent talk especially when he went in front of the white board and started to write....

joentell

Reviewer
As a non-expert, would I still find it useful/understandable?
Here's the one with @Charles Sprinkle
And the other one Jim Salk:

See what you think. We make the seminars available for free to everyone the moment we go live. The main difference is that paying attendees can meet with the exhibitors and seminar speakers and ask them direct questions via video chat.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't watch movies without audio right? And it just wouldn't be right to have a reference video display but not a matching reference audio system!

No kidding. A family member is having the inverse problem: he just got an amazing OLED TV but now only has a $300 speakers budget, and everyone wants him to just get some sound at at Costco.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I went to a hi-fi expo once, a million years ago when I was a student. It was too weird for me and I haven't wanted to go to another.

I remember a room where Thorens was showing off active speakers, with, iirc, a feedback sensor coil in the driver.

And Yamaha had their top-of-the-line gear with NS-1000 on which I listened to the whole of Back-Woods Song (Gateway).

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No kidding. A family member is having the inverse problem: he just got an amazing OLED TV but now only has a $300 speakers budget, and everyone wants him to just get some sound at at Costco.
I normally suggest getting a $100 sound bar and saving up about $2000 for a "real" sound upgrade. If the $100 soundbar is no better than the TV audio, then return it and continue saving up!

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I normally suggest getting a $100 sound bar and saving up about $2000 for a "real" sound upgrade. If the $100 soundbar is no better than the TV audio, then return it and continue saving up!

My suggestion was a Kalin IN8v2, then adding a sub for Christmas. Relatively easy to expand that to a surround system, etc. for a few hundred dollars each time. At $2000 I'd prefer Devialet Phantom Reactors in stereo if they are discounted, but I hate the app. For me and likely for them non-coaxials would sound broken. I sit on the floor for games, on the couch for movies, stand and stretch for long ones, and do yoga. They have a baby and are on the floor for movies regularly, alternating with the baby.

Might have to settle for an LP8 though when they are re-released with the new amps, or I'll drive out my HiVi DIY 3.1 speakers for them to use as a starter set.

Top Bottom