• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internet Radio - streaming services or URLs

UDXL2C90

New forum member here! :)

I listen to a lot of streaming radio.. jazz, classical, ambient.. and I grew up on this way of listening with the Internet Radio station library that came within MacOS iTunes. I got used to saving and/or bookmarking the music stream URLs that iTunes used, *.pls files: abcd.com/filename.pls Many streaming stations have URLs for different bit-rates, which I find useful to have.

Now there are streaming services with large collections of stations like TuneIn and IHeartRadio. I notice that some independent streaming stations are now found in the TuneIn directory, but not the iTunes internet radio library now. The old *.pls URLs I have still work fine using iTunes or QuickTime or etc. Related: https://help.tunein.com/why-is-my-streaming-url-not-accepted-BkOmg50c_vM

Just curious if any forum members have found any reasons to stream internet radio one way or the other. Thank You!

===

Related - I just received my Allo Boss2 Player. :) 4 days from Bangalore to USA Midwest city, amazing. Checks out 100%, learning a bit about the interface & settings now.

Jbrunwa

I have added and play custom .pls urls to tunein. For example, i subscribe to jazz radio.com (which also includes sibling stations for practically all genres of music) and export the pls urls to tunein as a custom stream. Although this doesn’t show the song names and album art like the native jazz radio apps.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I only listen to BBC Radio 6 Music and I wanted to access to it via MusicBee (which seems to only support Shoutcast and Soma FM stations out the box). I found this useful webpage that lists the HLS (320kpbs) stream URLs for all the BBC national stations...

P.S. Welcome to ASR!

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious if any forum members have found any reasons to stream internet radio one way or the other. Thank You!
Oh yes where possible I much prefer the direct stream URL because while individual stations are collecting user data like everyone else, it's only for their individual stations; there's no easy way for them to aggregate additional data from a variety of sources unless you say, provide your FaceBook user ID.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve recently started listening to the stations moode audio packages. Soma FM has been mentioned above. I find it liberating to listen to not at all hires transmissions and just enjoy the music, it’s my way of sticking it to the man.

RadioBuddha

I have added and play custom .pls urls to tunein. For example, i subscribe to jazz radio.com (which also includes sibling stations for practically all genres of music) and export the pls urls to tunein as a custom stream. Although this doesn’t show the song names and album art like the native jazz radio apps.

Does anyone know why certain stations sound like garbage through Apple Music, especially on the Apple TV, while those same stations sound in CD quality on a Sangean WFR-28?

I know that the Cambridge Audio CXN-2 uses some sort of DASH technology to provide a high quality streaming sound, but what about Sangean, why in God's name would Apple not be able to match or beat Sangean?

The answer is probably that they don't devote resources to this arena, with all of the money Apple has, it would not take much.

Last edited:

Oldasdrt

I also prefer direct stream url,
But the My Tuner app is pretty good,
RadioRockOn, great music,
Now if I can figure out how to get it to work with Neutron player :)

OP
UDXL2C90

UDXL2C90

Does anyone know why certain stations sound like garbage through Apple Music, especially on the Apple TV, while those same stations sound in CD quality on a Sangean WFR-28?

I know that the Cambridge Audio CXN-2 uses some sort of DASH technology to provide a high quality streaming sound, but what about Sangean, why in God's name would Apple not be able to match or beat Sangean?

The answer is probably that they don't devote resources to this arena, with all of the money Apple has, it would not take much.

Apple Music on AppleTV uses both TuneIn and IHeartRadio directories, I think... could it be related to the "interface" between Apple and those services? Just spit-balling here.

RadioBuddha

Apple Music on AppleTV uses both TuneIn and IHeartRadio directories, I think... could it be related to the "interface" between Apple and those services? Just spit-balling here.

Actually I have yet to try TuneIn on the Apple TV, I was accessing the radio stations through Apple Music.

Last edited:

JuliaCoder

Often a channel is down. Unpredictable. Sometimes the best new music.

Last edited:

Chazz6

Too cheap to add a subscription fee to my monthly expenses, I scavenge for stream URLs and play them from BubbleUPnP. Mostly I look for the raw stream URL or I look for an .m3u file and take the URL from it. (Is there any advantage to a .pls file over an .m3u file?)

RadioBuddha

TuneIn App is not available on the Apple TV, I just tried the generic My Tuner radio app, same garbage sound on many popular radio stations. Also listening to Apple Music on the Apple TV, not horrible sound, but not as clean as through a 2015 Macbook Pro or Iphone SE, for some reason the sound from a Directv Genie HR54 (MTV Classic Channel) is light years better than Apple Music out of an Apple TV.

Jbrunwa

The Radio Paradise app on Apple TV let’s you select ALAC. They do a really good job curating the streams and its free but if you can afford and use it a lot its worth a donation IMO.

Last edited:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just started using MoOde, and although there are many internet radio streams in their library, some of my favorites were missing, including Switzerland's "Otto's Baroque", "Otto's Classical", and "Sausalito Radio".

Although you can play the 1.FM Otto stations and Sausalito Radio through free internet radio station aggregators, most of those websites hide the actual stream URL, so that even looking at the web page source, you won't find it. That's because they hide the link in a Javascript subroutine or use a dedicated site-level stream forwarder to try to force you to keep using their streaming service. But MoOde is a dedicated Linux app, and not an internet browser, so you need to access a stream directly to play it with MoOde.

While mucking around looking for a solution, I came across fmstream.org which is a searchable player that lists anywhere from one to many playable stream links in boxes which are various links, sometimes with different stream rates. Simply click on one of the links, and the stream will play at the bttm of the page. Copy the now-visible stream URL which is displayed under the stream name - and then paste it into the "Playable URL" box in a "New Station" page in MoOde. (You can also do a Google mage search for an icon image to replace the default "MoOde" image that is associated with the MoOde radio station link you just created.)

FMStream.jpg

Below Image: I added two Otto's stations and my old local FM jazz station from Northern California, "Sausalito Radio" - and they work perfectly in MoOde. Let us know if it works for any of you who try it...

MoOde Radio.jpg

Chazz6

Let us know if it works for any of you who try it...
It worked on Sausalito Jazz Radio and Klassik Radio Barock. I put the URLs into .m3u form and open them through BubbleUPnP. The Klassik page on fmstream has choices for 192, 128, and 64. The first two are .mp3 streams while the last one is AAC; I'm not sure what the best choice is.

Brab

Larry B. Larabee

I came across fmstream.org which is a searchable player
Thank you for listing this resource.
Making a playlist in Bubbleupnp, going to fmstream and searching for your favorite stations, making the choice of resolution available and going to the bottom of the page and selecting the box/arrow icon to open an instance of the stream in a new tab ( this always gets the correct feed url ) you can copy the url and paste it the bubbleupnp playlist (from the 3 dot menu in the upper right of the playlist) or if you can, use the share menu in your browser to add the url directly to bubbleupnp ( I assume it would have to be opened, in the background, to your playlist to work automatically or in any case the easiest way to do so). My AVR with dlna capability makes it convenient to stream from my android phone with the addition of being able to scroll through the stations playlist with the fastforward button on the AVR remote. Handy! n.b.: the best feeds, 320k, are not sounding as if they are as good as they should be. Probably my phone?

Top Bottom