• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Resolving Measurement Issues with SONCOZ SGD1 DAC

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sorry, but that is absolutely appallingly bad security. Yes, it's only a DAC, but even if the upgrade is secured via crypto keys, that is NOT the way to design a WIFI capable product.
Yes, I agree. I definitely prefer that firmwares be made available for download and installed via a USB stick or similar. Having a DAC that communicates with the internet in the background does not seem to be a good idea. From Soncoz FAQ:
Q22: How do I confirm what firmware I am running, or if the OTA upgrade succeeded?
A22: The user cannot see the version of the software. Under normal upgrade operation, if no new
upgrade occurs, and judge as the latest version of the software.

I would never buy this DAC if I can´t even see if I have the latest firmware installed. That´s bad, cause it seems to be i nice DAC in other respects.

Last edited:

TK750

He tagged the wrong Golden, simple mistake.

Goldenears is a real middle aged (lol) man that joined the forum before GoldenSound - Goldenears is an innocent bystander here

GoldenOne is the young lad that has been banned here - he doesn't hide that fact he is young either, if you watch his YouTube videos
Goldenears is a now abandoned headphone measuring website.
And also someone is a member here (who probably is 46) and does not use that logo (goldenone here too)... my bad.

I see my typo now.. sorry for that confusion.
I was a big fan of that site. Was sad to see it go.

No worries, so much ado about nothing then as I thought

@Tks Yeh, has been since that whole blind testing shitshow thread

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's goldenears talking about GoldenOne :) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...n-tidal-to-test-mqa.22549/page-92#post-763724
goldenear.png

That whole thing on SBAF true? He being banned and all? Kinda wack if true...
His profile page here, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?members/goldenone.8190/ , shows:
goldensound.png

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Thanks for the update Amir. It would be nice for these tests of consumer units to become a more frequent occurrence just to keep companies accountable to the public with regard to any possible cherrypicking of review units. I know l7audiolab / wolfx700 has done a few of these.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sbaf and other subjectivist forums and websites are now worried about their very existence because slowly the wave is turning towards objective approach

This ^.

I went a few rounds with Chris at Audiophile Style and finally had to post Alexa rankings showing who was ascendant and who was descendant. I felt bad having to post that over there but sometimes people can't get the message unless you tape it to a bat and smack them in the noggin with it.

mslim

There is no way to tell which firmware version is onboard? (like on a router?) If so then it is a problematic design "feature".....

mslim

1. I think in the future, it may not be a good idea to test prototypes or unreleased units that are still undergoing modifications. It will not be representative. At least need to state in bold they're prototypes. But I just think it is a bad idea to test prototypes in amongst released models.

2. Ben obviously made the effort to fix the hump etc and at some stage this unit was not available for sale until the fix was made. I think ben mentioned something in that line.

3. It is perhaps Soncoz's fault for not following up this by giving Amit a released unit to test subsequently.

4. There are too many things to read (and a life to lead....)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Firmware bugs ruining performance.

Not just for AVRs anymore.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd argue that the most important factor of any reviewers in any fields is their honesty. Even if said subjective opinions are factually incorrect, as long as it's a real and honest opinion from that person then it's still something the viewers can appreciate.

I'd suggest something a bit different. Sincerity is one thing, but if someone is sincere (or honest) in their delusions, others should not necessarily appreciate that. Rather, the mark of a good reviewer is the ability and willingness to change one's opinions in light of new facts, when those facts dictate as much. And it is especially exceptional if it results in a sea change anent one's previous outlook.

In reviewing, perhaps the most notable example was Peter Aczel, who within a few months completely changed his outlook on electronic component 'sound' once he matched levels and realized he couldn't tell the difference between the Mark Levinson and the inexpensive brand.

As far as Amir? If you follow ASR I think you have to agree that he's open and honest, with no hidden agendas. In the original post from Reddit..., the accusation that he does not routinely 'disclose' the companies he works with? Where did that come from?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
1. I think in the future, it may not be a good idea to test prototypes or unreleased units that are still undergoing modifications. It will not be representative
What I tested was production sample. It is just that the company decided to halt said production and fix the issue I found in the review and rerelease the product. So good intentions all around.

Honken

I hunted down the thread on Reddit from where the quote by the user NFTOxaile came from. How others can stomach reading and engaging in discussions with that much vitriol is beyond me. It was awful to the point it was distracting and hard to follow the arguments people made. I can't say that I find Amir... unconfrontational, but at least here the discourse remains civil when things get heated.

I then read the thread on SBAF and came across the same thing as on Reddit, arguments buried in deep layers of anger.

Why is it that this hobby makes people so angry?

Either way, I'm very happy that ASR exist. It's one of the few places on the internet that still feels like a community.

respice finem

Major Contributor
...Why is it that this hobby makes people so angry?
We'll probably never know, it must be something in the human brain. One can't admit not hearing everything, the other one can't stand the "hear-it-all" BS. With the "vitriol spreaders", my attitude would be "no fish, no trolls". Ignorelist FTW.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hunted down the thread on Reddit from where the quote by the user NFTOxaile came from. How others can stomach reading and engaging in discussions with that much vitriol is beyond me. It was awful to the point it was distracting and hard to follow the arguments people made. I can't say that I find Amir... unconfrontational, but at least here the discourse remains civil when things get heated.

I then read the thread on SBAF and came across the same thing as on Reddit, arguments buried in deep layers of anger.

Why is it that this hobby makes people so angry?

Either way, I'm very happy that ASR exist. It's one of the few places on the internet that still feels like a community.

Unfortunately the anonymity that the Internet provides is a double edge sword, sometimes it brings the best in people and sometimes it brings out the worst.

Stokdoof

Forum Donor
Very nice all this but why worry about your reputation? Who uses Reddit as a serious source of information anyway? Reddit is IMHO one big pile of crap.

Top Bottom