• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bass heavy ear buds

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I'm looking for a good set of ear buds for gaming. Does anyone know of any fairly decent earbuds that are slightly tilted towards deep bass? Thanks for any recommendations!

Last edited:
OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor

I looked at that review. My opinion was that they did have bass but overall they were pretty much junk. Left/right imbalance, high frequency really spiking (shrill?). If you think I'm wrong, please let me know as I came away with that opinion. I am willing to spend up to $150 on the buds. If I could get something that is fairly good (decent?) with the heavier bass that would be perfect. I also could buy these Panasonics on Amazon and return them if I didn't like them. That's a thought too.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I looked at that review. My opinion was that they did have bass but overall they were pretty much junk. Left/right imbalance, high frequency really spiking (shrill?). If you think I'm wrong, please let me know as I came away with that opinion. I am willing to spend up to $150 on the buds. If I could get something that is fairly good (decent?) with the heavier bass that would be perfect. I also could buy these Panasonics on Amazon and return them if I didn't like them. That's a thought too.

Which spike? They stay in the highs always under target curve. Overall i would say they sound on the dull side. But why you not use system wide eq? Than you can fit to your taste?

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I bought them, just have to wait. I will EQ em, not think i will be unhappy. And if? Like i said, i spended 15Euro. For that i can blame amir for the rest of his live. ;) Thats worth 15Euro.:p

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a good set of ear buds for gaming. Does anyone know of any fairly decent earbuds that are slightly tilted towards deep bass? Thanks for any recommendations!
Hi Spkrdctr,

Of the several ear buds I own (Senn,Klipsch,UE Fits, RBH, Sony) the best bass is unquestionably the Helm Audio True Wireless 5.0 Headphones. They easily beat any wired buds I have if you use Isolation foam tips. I think they are also running a 25% off sale. If you are a First Responder, Police or Retired Military you can get 50% off. See below *

“ HELM is giving back to our heroes on the frontline. Through the ID.me platform, medical staff, nurses, first responders, US stationed armed service members, veterans and teachers qualify for 50% off the HELM True Wireless 5 Headphones and the new release Sportsband HD Wireless Headphones.”

All of the above is my personal impression and subjective opinion. They have not been tested that I am aware. So make of this what you will.

Link: https://helmaudio.com/products/helm-true-wireless-5-0-headphones

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I tried the Panasonic ear buds that Amir tested. I can't hear any extra bass on my video game, but they are cheap buds and I'm keeping them for back up as I am hard on the buds.

I'm thinking no ear buds will give me the performance I want until I'm at headphone prices and then the headphones would be nicer for me. I tried equalizer APO with the Peace controller and I cant get it to work after trying for months so I deleted the whole mess. I then thought of buying a plug and play EQ and I tried that and it didn't do anything with the earbuds. I guess there is no fairly easy to use EQ program for computers that actually works like a real eq. So, this leaves me with my headphones for the TV and earbuds for the video game. Of course for music I use my Martin Logan's with sub.

I seem to have problems with computer stuff. If it is more than plug and play the stuff never works for me. I don't like it at all, but it is what it is. Like audio, maybe the computer world promises far more than they can deliver? I know the computer savvy people go to great lengths to use computer programs but that is way above me. So, headphones forever? Amir gave a VERY high recommendation on the AKG headphones he reviewed that need NO EQ. That is for me!

I appreciate the help from you guys. If you guys ever hear of an easy plug and play EQ program that actually works on a computer, let me know. I will give it a shot.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
My panas arrived two days ago. They are so full of upper bass without missing low bass, that without eq they nearly not useable for music listening. The only explanation i would have if they are missing bass, that they not fit your ears. Or there is a problem with your source.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tried the Panasonic ear buds that Amir tested. I can't hear any extra bass on my video game, but they are cheap buds and I'm keeping them for back up as I am hard on the buds.

I'm thinking no ear buds will give me the performance I want until I'm at headphone prices and then the headphones would be nicer for me. I tried equalizer APO with the Peace controller and I cant get it to work after trying for months so I deleted the whole mess. I then thought of buying a plug and play EQ and I tried that and it didn't do anything with the earbuds. I guess there is no fairly easy to use EQ program for computers that actually works like a real eq. So, this leaves me with my headphones for the TV and earbuds for the video game. Of course for music I use my Martin Logan's with sub.

I seem to have problems with computer stuff. If it is more than plug and play the stuff never works for me. I don't like it at all, but it is what it is. Like audio, maybe the computer world promises far more than they can deliver? I know the computer savvy people go to great lengths to use computer programs but that is way above me. So, headphones forever? Amir gave a VERY high recommendation on the AKG headphones he reviewed that need NO EQ. That is for me!

I appreciate the help from you guys. If you guys ever hear of an easy plug and play EQ program that actually works on a computer, let me know. I will give it a shot.
I take it you are looking for wired and not wireless?

If wireless, take a look at Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro:

They are bass-heavy and you can EQ them through the Soundcore app on your phone. The EQ gets memorized, so it'll be in effect with any other BT source after that.

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I take it you are looking for wired and not wireless?

If wireless, take a look at Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro:

They are bass-heavy and you can EQ them through the Soundcore app on your phone. The EQ gets memorized, so it'll be in effect with any other BT source after that.
Liberty 2 Pro ordered will arrive tomorrow. I like Amazon as I can return them if I don't like them. I like the idea of the app too.

Elk

Scroll down 2/3 of the way to find rankings and measurements for in ear headphones. There are some good ones that subjectively treat all notes equally, which is really what you might be looing for, and some that emphasise the bass.

Elk

solderdude

Grand Contributor

To avoid confusion an earbud is an ear phone that rests in the concha but is not inserted in the ear canal.
An earphone that is shoved in the ear canal is an In Ear Monitor.

earbud:
Vido-Earbuds-Headphones-Music-headset-Flat-Head-3-5mm-Plug-Earphone-Bass-Cheap-use-for-android.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

I thought you were specifically looking for bass heavy ear buds but turned out you are looking for IEM's.
Good bass is easily gotten fro IEM's, providing a good seal/insertion depth is achieved.
With earbuds good bass is hard to achieve, often the left and right concha aren't even the same size.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
To avoid confusion an earbud is an ear phone that rests in the concha but is not inserted in the ear canal.

earbud:
Vido-Earbuds-Headphones-Music-headset-Flat-Head-3-5mm-Plug-Earphone-Bass-Cheap-use-for-android.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

I thought you were specifically looking for bass heavy ear buds but turned out you are looking for IEM's.
Good bass is easily gotten fro IEM's, providing a good seal/insertion depth is achieved.
With earbuds good bass is hard to achieve, often the left and right concha aren't even the same size.
Excellent explanation. I mistakenly thought ear buds were IEM’s. It does get confusing but the details are important and thank you for clarifying the difference between Ear Buds and IEM’s.

escape2

Yup, this is key. No matter how bass-heavy an IEM is, if you can't get a good seal, it's all for naught.

Thankfully some IEMs come with a multitude of ear tips to help find a good fit, but for some people IEMs just don't work at all due to the shape of their ear canals.

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor

earbud:

Thank you! I did mean IEM.

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
OK, I want to thank you all again for all the great ideas. I bought the Anker Liberty 2 Pro. I bought from Amazon for an easy return if they didn't work. I got them, charged them up and then listened to them for a bit. Then I did the personalized hearing test so it set the frequency response to my ears. Then I clicked on the pre-assigned bass boost. I was expecting nothing much and a quick return to Amazon. I fired up my test music list on my iPhone and hit Funkytown by The Lipps, Frankenstein by Edgar Winter, Whitney Huston and then just did a quick listen to a few other songs a bit. All I can say is KABOOM!! WOW!! OMG!! What a difference. I did not know that these "type" of ear devices had the quality like this. They were replicating my two channel set up with high power amp and Martin Logan speakers VERY well. I am blown away. I asked my wife what she thought and she had the dishwasher going and was doing laundry in the kitchen (another room) and she still said "I can hear a big difference between these and your stereo". I didn't tell her what I thought, I didn't prompt her at all. She heard the difference in a different room while doing laundry!

I am keeping these and I am amazed at the quality of the sound. I listened to them before I did the personal hearing test and after. After was much better and the graph they showed said I need to go have my hearing checked! I used to have GREAT hearing but I think my job must have trashed it. I will get tested and find out. But, I would without hesitation recommend these to anyone looking for extremely nice IEMs. As you can tell I'm giddy. I didn't know that this technology was available. You guys came through again. Thank you!!

audio2design

Major Contributor
Just saw this thread and wayyyy late to the party. I have a pair of real Monster Miles Davis Signature IEMs. Don't laugh at the Monster name. They were a gift. I smiled, said thank you, and expected they would collect dust in the bottom of the laptop bag. Nope. They actually sounded great and had more bass than any headphone, ear bud, or IEM I had before or after. Too much really. I have to equalize the bass down a little. They are like having a subwoofer in your ear.

FYI - The reason why I say "real" is these things were heavily cloned including all the packaging. Supposedly some of the clones were pretty good too.

Last edited:

Human Bass

Tin T3 Plus has some serious bass. Fiio FHE if you want something fancier.

Top Bottom