• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Gear Reviews: analysis of data and conclusion

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Hey Amir!

Regarding the content of reviewed gear, I would make a request/recommendation. Where it is not already indicated in the visual presentation of data, would it not be productive to include an idealized/textbook visual representation of the data/parameter being examined? This would be most illustrative for the pedestrian whom visually juxtaposes data and analyzes via comparison/contrast. ;-)

Perhaps, a link to the appropriate section of ASR might contain the idealized curves, etc., for reference and thus, not create redundancy with every review. Moreover, this type of content creates additional value for the ASR website and encourages those in the ASR community diffident with the technical nature of essential review elements to explore for understanding.

Thank you for your consideration and please let me know if my request/recommendation is imprecise, warrants clarification, and/or is peripheral.

Cordially,

Sam

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I should mention that I see the value and some of the graphs indeed have that:

index.php

Note the title "ideal = 0 dB."

OP
c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Hi Sam. What do you mean by idealized designation? For signal to noise ratio, it would be infinity. Is this what you mean? Or the best there is?
Hi Amir,

For example: the ASR Neumann KH 310A studio monitor review -
  • CEA2034: the red arrow is manifestly instructive
  • Early Reflections: as above
  • Estimated In-Room Response: as above
  • Driver Components Near Field: what would be the shape(s) of the graphs if perfection, e.g., the ideal, were achieved?
  • 96 dB Fundamental + Harmonic distortion: as immediately above
  • Beamwidth: the red arrow is manifestly instructive
  • Horizontal/Vertical Directivity contours: what would be the ideal shape(s) and intensity(ies)?
For signal to noise ratio expressed as a percent, I would hazard 100%, i.e., all signal and no noise, would be the idealized figure?

Thanks. :)

OP
c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Hi Amir,

Yes, I noticed the red arrow. Would the ideal response have been a flat line beneath the red arrow from 20 Hz to 20 kHz showing the same harmonic distortion behavior independent of frequency?

BTW, please do keep your ASR YouTube videos commensurate in length as the topic/concept dictates and do not truncate them. Presently, there is a flow to the presentations which would be disrupted with segmentation. One could place time markers correlating to significant concepts in the presentation to assist navigation and reference. A table of contents, if you will.

Thanks for all you do!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, I noticed the red arrow. Would the ideal response have been a flat line beneath the red arrow from 20 Hz to 20 kHz showing the same harmonic distortion behavior independent of frequency?
Yes but please note that I made up that threshold. :) But since I am consistent with it, it gives an easy way to judge above or below as we go through reviews.

And noted on youtube video lengths. It is a relief to see that the length is not a problem. :)

OP
c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
I'm going to view the "Understanding FFT in Audio Measurements" prior to retiring this evening/early morning. The "...how to read speaker measurements" presentation was stimulating.

OP
c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
I plan to do another video tomorrow. So hurry up before that comes out!!! :D
Just finished it. My strategy is to view all of your educational/primer technical videos from oldest to newest. I should get a notification
for your next video, soon. Okay, one more ASR YouTube video!

Top Bottom