• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes.
No.
8 mm sounds short. I think it was closer to 10 mm. 7/16" maybe. Or 3/8. I forget, but I do plan to document that at some point. :)

Tom

Synergy4

Yes.
No.
8 mm sounds short. I think it was closer to 10 mm. 7/16" maybe. Or 3/8. I forget, but I do plan to document that at some point. :)

Tom

OK 10mm spacer. Metal spacer?

Do you have a picture of the Purifi amplifiers with your buffers installed in a case?

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
It's important to get the correct length or the connectors won't line up. I just plugged one of the Purifi/Hypex Buffers into the Purifi 1ET400A and measured with a slide caliper. I measure 7.8 mm on one side and 8.2 mm on the other. I'd go with 8 mm standoffs. You can always file them down a bit if they're a touch too long.

The standoffs can be metal or plastic.

I don't have pictures. I mounted the Purifi modules and Buffers on a metal plate that I then bolted to the heat sink of a Takachi HY-series chassis. I put the Hypex SMPS1200 in the centre of the chassis.

I have materials for another amp. I'll document the build as I go along. The first build was more of a prototype.

Tom

fraa

I am confused about buffers.
  • Some people say changing buffers from the original Purifi EVAL1 doesn't improve the sound. It seems to be true; Amir's measurements show that the Purifi EVAL1 slightly outperforms "Nord Three SE 1ET400A Dual Mono Stereo Amp" with Nord buffer using Sonic Imagery 990Enh.
  • So, naturally I looked for an amp with the same buffer as the original Purifi Eval1. I have found:
  • Are the "Basic" Nord and the VTV "based on EVAL-1" the only choice if I want to buy a 1ET400A amp that uses an OPA1612 buffer? Is there any other on the market?

idv_42

As far as I know, only Nord with discrete op amps was reviewed here, not the base model.

I am from Siberia (Russia), but in general, yes, Europe is closer than the United States.
In addition, I do not like VTV externally and internally (some kind of sloppy). But this is of course a subjective opinion.

fraa

As far as I know, only Nord with discrete op amps was reviewed here, not the base model.

I am from Siberia (Russia), but in general, yes, Europe is closer than the United States.
In addition, I do not like VTV externally and internally (some kind of sloppy). But this is of course a subjective opinion.
I see. I am in Japan. I imagine the shipping cost would not be much different from either the US or Europe.
I like the rounded corner design of March, I only wish it had a silver-colored version.
In that respect I think I like the Nord, too. Apollon case seems nice, too but it's the most expensive one.
Speaking of the price, VTV is the cheapest and then Nord and March are about the same.
Without any measurement, it's hard to decide....
I suppose only VTV has been measured (as Purify evaluation version).

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
It's important to get the correct length or the connectors won't line up. I just plugged one of the Purifi/Hypex Buffers into the Purifi 1ET400A and measured with a slide caliper. I measure 7.8 mm on one side and 8.2 mm on the other. I'd go with 8 mm standoffs. You can always file them down a bit if they're a touch too long.
No doubt that you are an EE Tom ;)
Datasheet page 22.
1631969704860.png

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see. I am in Japan. I imagine the shipping cost would not be much different from either the US or Europe.
I like the rounded corner design of March, I only wish it had a silver-colored version.
In that respect I think I like the Nord, too. Apollon case seems nice, too but it's the most expensive one.
Speaking of the price, VTV is the cheapest and then Nord and March are about the same.
Without any measurement, it's hard to decide....
I suppose only VTV has been measured (as Purify evaluation version).

You are likely get the best performing amp from March Audio. His attention to detail is higher than most and his ability to service you should be better due to regional proximity. You can get more opinions if you like from others on ASR. As this is a DIY thread, you are off topic and so your query is getting less exposure.

As the (very knowledgeable) @tomchr mentioned, there is no measurable difference in the buffers. But if you are an audiophile who needs to try them for yourself, you are better off with a Hypex NC500-based amp and then will have some spare cash to spend trying different buffers. In that case, would look towards the Euro suppliers. They generally have better quality than VTV. Hope this helps!

fraa

You are likely get the best performing amp from March Audio. His attention to detail is higher than most and his ability to service you should be better due to regional proximity. You can get more opinions if you like from others on ASR. As this is a DIY thread, you are off topic and so your query is getting less exposure.

As the (very knowledgeable) @tomchr mentioned, there is no measurable difference in the buffers. But if you are an audiophile who needs to try them for yourself, you are better off with a Hypex NC500-based amp and then will have some spare cash to spend trying different buffers. In that case, would look towards the Euro suppliers. They generally have better quality than VTV. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't realize March Audio was based in Australia! They use USD as the store currency. Yes, P452 is very attractive. But the case... If there was a silver or metallic case version, it would probably be on top of my list... But I might still get it.

No, I am not the type who has to try different buffers. I just believe the measurements. The OPA1612-based buffer is used in the reviewed Purifi Eval1 so I thought I'd get one.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
No doubt that you are an EE Tom ;)
Datasheet page 22.
View attachment 154057

I did read the data sheet. Thank you.

Did you consider that the data sheet may not match reality? The distance from the bottom of the module to the bottom of the board measures 7.8 mm on the 1ET400A I have on my desk. There's also an important dimension missing in the Purifi data sheet: The distance from the top of the PCB to the centre of the connector pins.

You're absolutely right that I'm an EE. And as such I've learned to always check the mechanical dimensions of components in reality as reality often differs from the information given in the data sheet.

Tom

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

Did you consider that the data sheet may not match reality? The distance from the bottom of the module to the bottom of the board measures 7.8 mm on the 1ET400A I have on my desk. There's also an important dimension missing in the Purifi data sheet: The distance from the top of the PCB to the centre of the connector pins.

You're absolutely right that I'm an EE. And as such I've learned to always check the mechanical dimensions of components in reality as reality often differs from the information given in the data sheet.

Tom

Had you been a mechanical engineer, you'd have realised that it's quicker to add a washer where the stand offs are slightly too short, than it is to file 0.2mm off the ones that are too long. :p

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Assuming you can find a washer that's 0.2 mm thick. :) Also, you'd likely be adding multiple washers as standoffs don't come in 0.2 mm increments ... though you could machine them that way.

Tom

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Tom
The thing that I didn't consider is that you have absolutely no sense of humor :rolleyes:
Since it is lecture time, please consider checking people's background before lecturing them on subjects that you do not fully understand.

Top Bottom