• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Diamond 12 Owner's Thread

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Got the Diamond 12.2 a month back and fell in love with them, I now listening to almost everything on them and starting to neglect my other costlier speakers. To my ears, they sound so smooth yet do not lack clarity. Mids produced by the 12s are exactly to my taste, forward, crystal clear with body and sweet sounding. Its just what I want from a speaker. There is not one thing I dont like about these, and I have owned and own quite a few speakers including the Diamond 225, Q.A 3030i, Dali Oberon 3, Polk Reserve R100 (wished I had the R200 though), the orginal KEF LS50, JBL Studio 590, l and Wharfedale Crystal 4.3, 4.1 and 4c to name a few.

Any Diamond 12 owners here be it the 12.0, 12.1, 12.2, 12,3 or 12.4? What are you pairing them up with and how is it working out for you? Positioning and placement?Any measurements you have taken personally or come across any measurements in other forums you wished to share? Any mods done to improve the speakers? Would be great to hear anything and everything from the owners!

Last edited:

Keerati

I'm an owner of Diamond 12.1. Love it as well both from its sound clarity and its look. I use it in a 4.1 system as my front speaker. The surround speaker is the speaker that comes with Denon CEOL N9, and the subwoofer is wharfedale WH-D10. Sorry that I don't have much to share. I'm quite new to audiophile world :p

This is a measurement on Diamond 11.2 that I found.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-112-loudspeaker-measurements

A review with some measurements on Diamond 12.1.
https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Wharfedale-Diamond-12.1_HFW_Apr21.pdf

By the way, I plan to buy another Diamond 12 to replace Denon CEOL N9 speaker. I'm still choosing between Diamond 12.1 and 12.2.

Last edited:
OP
M

MarkWinston

I'm an owner of Diamond 12.1. Love it as well both from its sound clarity and its look. I use it in a 4.1 system as my front speaker. The surround speaker is the speaker that comes with Denon CEOL N9, and the subwoofer is wharfedale WH-D10. Sorry that I don't have much to share. I'm quite new to audiophile world :p

This is a measurement on Diamond 11.2 that I found.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-112-loudspeaker-measurements

A review with some measurements on Diamond 12.1.
https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Wharfedale-Diamond-12.1_HFW_Apr21.pdf

By the way, I plan to buy another Diamond 12 to replace Denon CEOL N9 speaker. I'm still choosing between Diamond 12.1 and 12.2.
Get the 12.2! It is a real step up from the 12.1 for some reason, probably due to that bigger woofer and naturally a lower crossover. Those charts you posted sadly wont be accepted by a few around this forum because it isnt anechoic but all measurements Ive seen from the 12.1s and 12.2s are very consistent and resembles those charts closely. This Diamond 12 has yet to be popular in this forum but will be when it gets tested by Amir or Erin. Best diamond to date!

Last edited:

zeppzeppzepp

Got the Diamond 12.2 a month back and fell in love with them, I now listening to almost everything on them and starting to neglect my other costlier speakers. To my ears, they sound so smooth yet do not lack clarity. Mids produced by the 12s are exactly to my taste, forward, crystal clear with body and sweet sounding. Its just what I want from a speaker. There is not one thing I dont like about these, and I have owned and own quite a few speakers including the Diamond 225, Q.A 3030i, Dali Oberon 3, Polk Reserve R100 (wished I had the R200 though), the orginal KEF LS50, JBL Studio 590, l and Wharfedale Crystal 4.3, 4.1 and 4c to name a few.

Any Diamond 12 owners here be it the 12.0, 12.1, 12.2, 12,3 or 12.4? What are you pairing them up with and how is it working out for you? Positioning and placement?Any measurements you have taken personally or come across any measurements in other forums you wished to share? Any mods done to improve the speakers? Would be great to hear anything and everything from the owners!

How would you describe 12.2 comparing to 3030i?
Thanks~

OP
M

MarkWinston

How would you describe 12.2 comparing to 3030i?
Thanks~
This is subjective but here goes... the 12.2 has warmer mids, bass isnt as punchy in the upper bass but when lower bass is present, the 12.2 plays deeper than the 3030i. Highs are slightly more rolled off on the 12.2. I had the 3030i for over a year and when I got the 12.2 I sold off the 3030i right away. I also have the diamond 225 and I can say the 12.2 falls somewhere in between that and the 3030i but with some magic sprinkled on it. Its really that good. I love how the 3030i looks though, the 12.2 looks..... plain. I like how the 12.2 sounds more than my OG LS50, but thats just me.

zeppzeppzepp

This is subjective but here goes... the 12.2 has warmer mids, bass isnt as punchy in the upper bass but when lower bass is present, the 12.2 plays deeper than the 3030i. Highs are slightly more rolled off on the 12.2. I had the 3030i for over a year and when I got the 12.2 I sold off the 3030i right away. I also have the diamond 225 and I can say the 12.2 falls somewhere in between that and the 3030i but with some magic sprinkled on it. Its really that good. I love how the 3030i looks though, the 12.2 looks..... plain. I like how the 12.2 sounds more than my OG LS50, but thats just me.

Thanks a lot.
I can understand why some people don't like LS50 that much even it is measured well.
For technical aspect, LS50 has raved coaxial driver for good directivity and a good solid enclosure.
It's not bad, and it's even better for the newer meta version.
But, I don't quite like LS50 either for the tonality, subjectively it's somewhat nasal and lacking natural low-mid/upper bass comparing to larger speaker as 12.2(surely that's base on my specific track-list).
We still need compare the speakers base on subjective opinion because generally people use them for their specific music collection.
I actually would keep different speakers to choose for different music style if allowed.

escape2

Is the 12.2 brighter sounding than 225?

OP
M

MarkWinston

The real question is: are you going to send one to Amirm for review?
I would if I could but Im in Thailand. That rules out the possibility of such a thing. If I were in the states, all the speakers I own would be sent to Amir and Erin.

mvnchies

Get the 12.2! It is a real step up from the 12.1 for some reason, probably due to that bigger woofer and naturally a lower crossover. Those charts you posted sadly wont be accepted by a few around this forum because it isnt anechoic but all measurements Ive seen from the 12.1s and 12.2s are very consistent and resembles those charts closely. This Diamond 12 has yet to be popular in this forum but will be when it gets tested by Amir or Erin. Best diamond to date!

Hi - do you have links to any more measurements of the 12.1? going to be testing these soon, but I'm not very good at finding much information/data about them, other than reviews that seem to think they're great.

Thank you!

mvnchies

OP
M

MarkWinston

Hi - do you have links to any more measurements of the 12.1? going to be testing these soon, but I'm not very good at finding much information/data about them, other than reviews that seem to think they're great.

Thank you!

Here are a few 12.1 and 12.2 graphs I found on the net and some screenshots from youtube... it isnt anechoic but pretty consistent with one another. Pretty flat all the way through with a bbc dip and rolling off at 16 - 17khz.

Credit to everyone that made these graphs, I cant remember who made what though...

Attachments

• Diamond 12.2 FR Chart.png
    Diamond 12.2 FR Chart.png
    461.3 KB · Views: 1,528
  • Diamond 12.1 FR (left and right channels).jpg
    Diamond 12.1 FR (left and right channels).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 980
  • Diamond 12.2 (white) VS Evo 4.2 (pink).jpg
    Diamond 12.2 (white) VS Evo 4.2 (pink).jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 859
  • Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 F.R..jpg
    Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 F.R..jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 F.R.jpg
    Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 F.R.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 721
  • Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 FR.jpg
    Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 FR.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 901

mvnchies

Here are a few 12.1 and 12.2 graphs I found on the net and some screenshots from youtube... it isnt anechoic but pretty consistent with one another. Pretty flat all the way through with a bbc dip and rolling off at 16 - 17khz.

Credit to everyone that made these graphs, I cant remember who made what though...

Thank you, all of these seem decently good in terms of FR, which is pretty promising!

I still can't wrap my head around the directivity mismatch - really need to hear these soon to figure it out myself :)

OP
M

MarkWinston

Thank you, all of these seem decently good in terms of FR, which is pretty promising!

I still can't wrap my head around the directivity mismatch - really need to hear these soon to figure it out myself :)
I cant hear or detect anything in that region... but I have the 12.2, not 12.1. Dont know if its any different. Let us know what you think once youve heard it!

Top Bottom