• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing between budget amps for DCA Aeon RT

Firefly00

Hi! Fairly new to hifi, building a first real setup (ditching the iPad + Grado SR80 combo). The setup I’m looking at is a budget amp + Aeon RT.

amp options that are available where I live (NZ):

Topping L30
Fiio K5 pro
Ifi Zen DAC
Schiit Magni 3+
Schiit Magni Heresy

Are any of these options actively a bad choice, or am I just massively overthinking it?

cheers!

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, what will be your new source? The ifi Zen DAC appears to be a combo unit. What's your budget? Maybe the Topping EX5 which sells for $350 US might be $495 NZ? See here. I can't connect to amazon New Zealand. But, I'll bet it's available there too.

Last edited:
OP
Firefly00

Firefly00

Well, what will be your new source? The ifi Zen DAC appears to be a combo unit. What's your budget? Maybe the Topping EX5 which sells for $350 US might be $495 NZ? See here. I can't connect to amazon New Zealand. But, I'll bet it's available there too.

I’m taking the approach that I should get a good pair of headphones, and then an amp capable of driving them. Was just going to use a lightning > 3.5mm adapter out of my iPad, but if there’s a good combo option I wouldn’t pass it up. Budget is around 250 usd

thank you for the help!

someguyontheinternet

The Schiit Modi3+ and Magni Heresy stack is good value. I've been using it to drive my Aeon RT before getting the RME ADI-2 DAC and there is no difference in sound quality on my listening levels (not very loud).

You might want to consider the IEMagni as well since afaik that model has DC protection which is a nice feature to have.

I found the iFi Zen DAC to lack flexibility as there was audible noise with high sensitivity headphones.

Top Bottom